Reviews Categories | Microphones | Kenwood MC-60A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood MC-60A
Kenwood MC-60A Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $145.00
Description: Desktop Deluxe Microphone
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/accessories/kenwood_mc60.jpg

You can write your own review of the Kenwood MC-60A.

G0LUH Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Must Have  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi
On my second one, regret selling first some years ago agree with rf issue, burnt my lips a few times, excellent choice, mind you I do have a Shure 444D as well

HA7WX Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2014 11:46 Send this review to a friend
4.5 because prone to RFI  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this microphone for a while and this mike is a great mike once you have cured its RFI issues. If your antenna is close enough to your rigs you are likely to experience RFI. This can be cured with wire straps inside the mike. I have used it on my Kenwoods (850SAT and 950SDX) and it had a great sound (unsollicited reports), you know, the typical outstanding SSB quality Kenwood is so famous for.
If you're on a budget and have to choose between a MC-80 or a the MC-60A i think the 60A is a better choice as the price gap between them on the used market is not so big.
So all in all, i can recommend it if you don't want to spend too much $$ on a microphone to use your Kenwood or your Alinco rig. I give it a 4.5 rating.
Also, K8CPA gave 1 in his review to the MC-80 which is unfair, and yes this is a very good mike for its price. He is just disappointed he could not solve his RFI problems because of his ground loops...

K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2014 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Previous to owning and using this mic, I bought new and used a MC-80 mic; and it sucked. I should have bought a new MC-60 mic. But, I thought I'd be brilliant and get a mc-80. Wrong! The MC-80 will RF like a buzzsaw on 75 meters, if you touch it.

I bought mine used from my friend, John N8QGC for $50.00 and I must say, it works well.

Only gripe is that the threads for the screws that hold the rubber feet on, one of the threads on the base or screw... is possibly stripped out. Which is most likely due to age.

I also pulled a bone-head move. I was trying to tighten down said rubber feet screw and stupid me forgot to take mic out of the holder and I broke the holder! Oopsie! Well, about 15 minutes, one bottle of loctite super glue, a wet paper towel and a few cuss words later --- I fixed the mic holder. you can get them at any music store, they only cost anywhere from 3 to 6 bucks. But, I glued mine.

Anyhow, I get good audio reports. So, I am not too worried about it. I don't get the RF problems on the audio, as I only run 150 watts here.

It's not a Electrovice RE-27 and it is not a Heil Mic. But, it is a good mic for someone who wants to get on the air. Don't ask me about Heil's stuff. I don't wanna get sued. :-/

All in all: It works well. Best $50.00 I ever spent. Now, if I can keep from breaking the thing! :-)

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2013 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely the Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this mic for almost 30 years now. Got it with my first TS-430. Now use it with the TS-2000. It always gets good audio reports. Only problem I had with it was a few years back when a small amount of grit got into the slider switch on the bottom plate. A little spray of contact cleaner and we were back in business like new. If you want good audio at a reasonable price and want a high quality, good looking mic, this is the one to get.

VE3UGG Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2013 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this mic used at a local hamfest for not a lot of money. Hooked it up to my older TS-680 and got on my favourite 40 meter SSB net the next morning. All I can say is reports were WAY better than my stock handheld mic. And no, I'm not using the built-in amp. Reports say my bass response is much improved yet still very natural sounding. I like the look and feel also. No RF concerns.

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2013 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Better than Heil?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I won't go there. But I will state that my on-air comparison revealed the free MC-60 I got from a friend sounded better than a Heil Goldline GM-5 (a comparably-priced mic) on my Yaesu FT-840 with no outboard EQ ,with and without the radio's processor engaged. Again, not knocking the Heil. Who knows what potential EQ would bring out on either mic?
If you are luckey enough to own an MC-60, keep it. It is hard to beat, even with Bob Heil's magnificent Goldline.

AD4C2006 Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2013 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Great mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In spite of I gave it a 4 because of the well known RFI problem that I had when I run 1.5KW, I have to say that my K3 sounds like it never did before.In spite of the mic booklet says its audio response is from 150 to 5000Hz, once I equalized it trough the K3 8 freq EQ, now my TX audio bandwith goes from 90 to 3000 Hz with an excellent articulate well balance audio that has impressed many of the K3 users who tough that was not the mic for the K3.
To solve the RFI problem, I just installed a couple of ferrite cores in the audio cable that goes to the radio and even running full legal power I don't her any RF in my signal.

Hector
AD4C

NN2X Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2011 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Great MIC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Kenwood 590S, it took me over a week to finally figure out the adjustments on that rig while interfacing MC 60.

While working with awesome fellow Ham Operators, they help me along working with the MC 60,,,Having said that, once set the right adjustments, I can say, it works extremly well, am I am very happy with the MC 60...!

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2010 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Still tops after 26 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this mike since 1984. Only one issue, and just recent... the amp switch (on bottom plate) contacts had to be cleaned, because they were causing an intermittent in the audio. Cleaned them with contact cleaner, and it is now back to normal... perfect. Kenwood made a great product in this mike.

KB0RDL Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2010 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Mike, One Issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really like this mike but I have one criticism: There ought to be some way to disable the lock button without completely disassembling the electronics in the base. Several times since I first began using the M60 (I have two)I've inadvertently hit the lock button and only later learned that I was tying up the frequency. A couple of those occasions may have occurred when my cat stepped on the button. There should be some way to lock this function off.