Reviews Categories | Microphones | Kenwood MC-60A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood MC-60A
Kenwood MC-60A Reviews: 43 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $145.00
Description: Desktop Deluxe Microphone
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/accessories/kenwood_mc60.jpg

You can write your own review of the Kenwood MC-60A.

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2013 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely the Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this mic for almost 30 years now. Got it with my first TS-430. Now use it with the TS-2000. It always gets good audio reports. Only problem I had with it was a few years back when a small amount of grit got into the slider switch on the bottom plate. A little spray of contact cleaner and we were back in business like new. If you want good audio at a reasonable price and want a high quality, good looking mic, this is the one to get.

VE3UGG Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2013 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this mic used at a local hamfest for not a lot of money. Hooked it up to my older TS-680 and got on my favourite 40 meter SSB net the next morning. All I can say is reports were WAY better than my stock handheld mic. And no, I'm not using the built-in amp. Reports say my bass response is much improved yet still very natural sounding. I like the look and feel also. No RF concerns.

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2013 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Better than Heil?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I won't go there. But I will state that my on-air comparison revealed the free MC-60 I got from a friend sounded better than a Heil Goldline GM-5 (a comparably-priced mic) on my Yaesu FT-840 with no outboard EQ ,with and without the radio's processor engaged. Again, not knocking the Heil. Who knows what potential EQ would bring out on either mic?
If you are luckey enough to own an MC-60, keep it. It is hard to beat, even with Bob Heil's magnificent Goldline.

AD4C2006 Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2013 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Great mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In spite of I gave it a 4 because of the well known RFI problem that I had when I run 1.5KW, I have to say that my K3 sounds like it never did before.In spite of the mic booklet says its audio response is from 150 to 5000Hz, once I equalized it trough the K3 8 freq EQ, now my TX audio bandwith goes from 90 to 3000 Hz with an excellent articulate well balance audio that has impressed many of the K3 users who tough that was not the mic for the K3.
To solve the RFI problem, I just installed a couple of ferrite cores in the audio cable that goes to the radio and even running full legal power I don't her any RF in my signal.

Hector
AD4C

NN2X Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2011 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Great MIC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Kenwood 590S, it took me over a week to finally figure out the adjustments on that rig while interfacing MC 60.

While working with awesome fellow Ham Operators, they help me along working with the MC 60,,,Having said that, once set the right adjustments, I can say, it works extremly well, am I am very happy with the MC 60...!

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2010 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Still tops after 26 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this mike since 1984. Only one issue, and just recent... the amp switch (on bottom plate) contacts had to be cleaned, because they were causing an intermittent in the audio. Cleaned them with contact cleaner, and it is now back to normal... perfect. Kenwood made a great product in this mike.

KB0RDL Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2010 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Mike, One Issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really like this mike but I have one criticism: There ought to be some way to disable the lock button without completely disassembling the electronics in the base. Several times since I first began using the M60 (I have two)I've inadvertently hit the lock button and only later learned that I was tying up the frequency. A couple of those occasions may have occurred when my cat stepped on the button. There should be some way to lock this function off.

W9GDH Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2010 14:40 Send this review to a friend
RFI  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a used one for my Kenwood TS-450SAT.
Works fine. Hooked a ground wire braid from the TS-450 ground connection to the base plate under the mic stand. I had to go the same for the MC-90 mic on my Kenwood TS-2000. I run 1100 watts at times with close antennas to the shack.

G8JNF Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2009 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Happy Chappy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is now my 3rd MC-60. I let the other ones go when I sold the radios. I'm using this now on a TS2000 with no complaints.

I don't ask for audio reports anymore because you can't please everyone. I do the opposite, say nothing and wait until someone comments, if the audio's bad believe me you will be told. If its good then you will also be told so or people say nothing :-).

So far I've had NO complaints!

(For what its worth I don't use the built in pre-amp, it's switched out on the base).

73's Duncan

WU1Z Rating: 2/5 Dec 26, 2008 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Forget about it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried one of these for about a week. This microphone just loves to pick up rf and make a mess of your transmissions. I have an 850-S and it sure did not like this mike. I would avoid this one. The reviews on this mike seemed pretty mixed but I would not purchase one again.I expect products that are new and expensive to work well from the get go. I sent this one back to the ham radio store quicker than a flash.