Reviews Categories | Microphones | Kenwood MC-60A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood MC-60A
Kenwood MC-60A Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $145.00
Description: Desktop Deluxe Microphone
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/accessories/kenwood_mc60.jpg

You can write your own review of the Kenwood MC-60A.

W9GDH Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2010 14:40 Send this review to a friend
RFI  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a used one for my Kenwood TS-450SAT.
Works fine. Hooked a ground wire braid from the TS-450 ground connection to the base plate under the mic stand. I had to go the same for the MC-90 mic on my Kenwood TS-2000. I run 1100 watts at times with close antennas to the shack.

G8JNF Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2009 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Happy Chappy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is now my 3rd MC-60. I let the other ones go when I sold the radios. I'm using this now on a TS2000 with no complaints.

I don't ask for audio reports anymore because you can't please everyone. I do the opposite, say nothing and wait until someone comments, if the audio's bad believe me you will be told. If its good then you will also be told so or people say nothing :-).

So far I've had NO complaints!

(For what its worth I don't use the built in pre-amp, it's switched out on the base).

73's Duncan

WU1Z Rating: 2/5 Dec 26, 2008 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Forget about it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried one of these for about a week. This microphone just loves to pick up rf and make a mess of your transmissions. I have an 850-S and it sure did not like this mike. I would avoid this one. The reviews on this mike seemed pretty mixed but I would not purchase one again.I expect products that are new and expensive to work well from the get go. I sent this one back to the ham radio store quicker than a flash.

IZ0FYS Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2008 07:11 Send this review to a friend
good mike but needs RFI fix  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use it on TS2000...the mike has a very good modulation but no good gnd lines.
A lot of RFI when you use his preamplifier on and touch the metal case....
I fixed the problem using the wire on sixt pin of the twisted cable (it is not used).
I connected this wire on the metal cases of the mike 8 pins connectors, on each part of the cable.
Now the wire of pins #6 drive a real and direct GND from the TS2000 to the mike case.
The same from the mike base to the upper part of the mike, where is the cartidge.
No more RF problems now.
73 de iz0fys

W3RXO Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2008 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Good, solid performer.  Time owned: more than 12 months
While it is not my all-time favorite microphone, I can find no fault in the MC-60A. I ran one for years on my old (no longer owned) T-599, and now am in the market for another 2, for my current Kenwoods. It is a solid, good sounding, top performance microphone, that is, in my opinion, the best Kenwood has made, so far.
I do have to disagree with the fellow who said that it was good only for HF. He apparently does not run VHF or UHF sideband. This microphone, combined with a TR 751A, is an awesome combination for 2M SSB. If I had a Kenwood UHF all mode, I would want an MC 60, on it also.

VK5FDAV Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2008 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this mic with my tm271a with the amp being powered by the radio. I have recieved excellent audio reports and am always asked what kind of mic is that?, or are you on a studio mic?. I cannot get over how well this mic is built, extreemly professional, solid, heavy and tough. The look reminds me of 1980s hifi equipment, and maybe thats why i like it so much. Not much more to say really, I have had no problems with it and I dont think I will, Perfect!

SV2BWM Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2008 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Good for HF only...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the MC-60A and TS-850S with DSP-100 for over 10 years. It is a classic Kenwood mic that had some RFI problems that fortunately were solved. It has solid audio in HF without distortion, but in FM modulation a MC-85 would be better. It matches the TS-850S and many other transceivers from Kenwood. Highly recommended for HF...

KG6POG Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2007 01:34 Send this review to a friend
Great sounding microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a few microphones including a Heil GM-5. But after experimenting with the two and the stock microphone the best audio reports came from the MC-60A.

I also like the push to talk bar, and though it doesn't get much use the up-down bar and lock to talk are nice features also.

In my opinion it's just a great match for my Kenwood.

VE1CJS Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2007 11:35 Send this review to a friend
great working mike  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am using this unit on my TS50 and it is working very well, I have been able to break pileups very easy with my off center fed dipole.
the mike looks good and has a nice heavy feel to it.
I use it with the mike gain on full and with the preamp off for normal use.

KC9HDZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2007 22:17 Send this review to a friend
Good over all mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this mic for over 1.5 years and like it. I purchased it used for around $90.00 and it was in perfect shape. I now have it mounted on a boom and still using the PTT base. Nice combo.

The only reason for giving it less then a 5-Great! is the preamp, sort of useless.

Good mic for any Kenwood radio.