Reviews Categories | Microphones | Kenwood MC-60A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood MC-60A
Kenwood MC-60A Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $145.00
Description: Desktop Deluxe Microphone
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/accessories/kenwood_mc60.jpg

You can write your own review of the Kenwood MC-60A.

AD4C2006 Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2013 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Great mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In spite of I gave it a 4 because of the well known RFI problem that I had when I run 1.5KW, I have to say that my K3 sounds like it never did before.In spite of the mic booklet says its audio response is from 150 to 5000Hz, once I equalized it trough the K3 8 freq EQ, now my TX audio bandwith goes from 90 to 3000 Hz with an excellent articulate well balance audio that has impressed many of the K3 users who tough that was not the mic for the K3.
To solve the RFI problem, I just installed a couple of ferrite cores in the audio cable that goes to the radio and even running full legal power I don't her any RF in my signal.

Hector
AD4C

NN2X Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2011 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Great MIC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Kenwood 590S, it took me over a week to finally figure out the adjustments on that rig while interfacing MC 60.

While working with awesome fellow Ham Operators, they help me along working with the MC 60,,,Having said that, once set the right adjustments, I can say, it works extremly well, am I am very happy with the MC 60...!

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2010 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Still tops after 26 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this mike since 1984. Only one issue, and just recent... the amp switch (on bottom plate) contacts had to be cleaned, because they were causing an intermittent in the audio. Cleaned them with contact cleaner, and it is now back to normal... perfect. Kenwood made a great product in this mike.

KB0RDL Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2010 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Mike, One Issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really like this mike but I have one criticism: There ought to be some way to disable the lock button without completely disassembling the electronics in the base. Several times since I first began using the M60 (I have two)I've inadvertently hit the lock button and only later learned that I was tying up the frequency. A couple of those occasions may have occurred when my cat stepped on the button. There should be some way to lock this function off.

W9GDH Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2010 14:40 Send this review to a friend
RFI  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a used one for my Kenwood TS-450SAT.
Works fine. Hooked a ground wire braid from the TS-450 ground connection to the base plate under the mic stand. I had to go the same for the MC-90 mic on my Kenwood TS-2000. I run 1100 watts at times with close antennas to the shack.

G8JNF Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2009 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Happy Chappy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is now my 3rd MC-60. I let the other ones go when I sold the radios. I'm using this now on a TS2000 with no complaints.

I don't ask for audio reports anymore because you can't please everyone. I do the opposite, say nothing and wait until someone comments, if the audio's bad believe me you will be told. If its good then you will also be told so or people say nothing :-).

So far I've had NO complaints!

(For what its worth I don't use the built in pre-amp, it's switched out on the base).

73's Duncan

WU1Z Rating: 2/5 Dec 26, 2008 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Forget about it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried one of these for about a week. This microphone just loves to pick up rf and make a mess of your transmissions. I have an 850-S and it sure did not like this mike. I would avoid this one. The reviews on this mike seemed pretty mixed but I would not purchase one again.I expect products that are new and expensive to work well from the get go. I sent this one back to the ham radio store quicker than a flash.

IZ0FYS Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2008 07:11 Send this review to a friend
good mike but needs RFI fix  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use it on TS2000...the mike has a very good modulation but no good gnd lines.
A lot of RFI when you use his preamplifier on and touch the metal case....
I fixed the problem using the wire on sixt pin of the twisted cable (it is not used).
I connected this wire on the metal cases of the mike 8 pins connectors, on each part of the cable.
Now the wire of pins #6 drive a real and direct GND from the TS2000 to the mike case.
The same from the mike base to the upper part of the mike, where is the cartidge.
No more RF problems now.
73 de iz0fys

W3RXO Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2008 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Good, solid performer.  Time owned: more than 12 months
While it is not my all-time favorite microphone, I can find no fault in the MC-60A. I ran one for years on my old (no longer owned) T-599, and now am in the market for another 2, for my current Kenwoods. It is a solid, good sounding, top performance microphone, that is, in my opinion, the best Kenwood has made, so far.
I do have to disagree with the fellow who said that it was good only for HF. He apparently does not run VHF or UHF sideband. This microphone, combined with a TR 751A, is an awesome combination for 2M SSB. If I had a Kenwood UHF all mode, I would want an MC 60, on it also.

VK5FDAV Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2008 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this mic with my tm271a with the amp being powered by the radio. I have recieved excellent audio reports and am always asked what kind of mic is that?, or are you on a studio mic?. I cannot get over how well this mic is built, extreemly professional, solid, heavy and tough. The look reminds me of 1980s hifi equipment, and maybe thats why i like it so much. Not much more to say really, I have had no problems with it and I dont think I will, Perfect!