Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | HyGain DCU-2 for Ham IV/V and T2X Help

Reviews Summary for HyGain DCU-2 for Ham IV/V and T2X
HyGain DCU-2 for Ham IV/V and T2X Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: Digital Rotator Controller
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=DCU-2

You can write your own review of the HyGain DCU-2 for Ham IV/V and T2X.

WA1RKT Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2017 05:06 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far so good. Got this controller yesterday for my T2X and it dropped right into place and was controlling my antenna within a few minutes. I give it a 4 instead of a 5 because the manual could be (a lot) better... the procedure for setting "Offset" was clear as mud, for example, not to mention being out of date... but that's a continuing issue with MFJ (which owns HyGain) and over the years I have given up on expecting anything better. The control box itself does what it needs to do and does it well, at a reasonable price. The Green Heron Engineering DC-21 might be better, with its ramp-up / ramp-down speed control, but it's also more than 50% more expensive. The DCU-2 is a good controller for the money. Incidentally I was told (by the Green Heron Engineering guy) that the 8-pin Jones plugs used with this controller aren't being made anymore and are becoming more difficult to find. I haven't yet confirmed that but he seemed certain of his information.

W2NLS Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2013 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided to replace my Ham IV rotator control box with the new DCU-2. My main reason was to use it with Ham Radio Deluxe for near-automatic control of my beam's heading. A lesser reason was for remote control ability using programs such as LogMeIn to add beam control to my remote abilities.

The unit arrived and installed in just a few minutes. It is plug compatible with the rotor cable from the tower on the newer Ham IV's. All I had to do was to unplug my old box and plug in the new. It immediately recognized the current beam heading and worked fine.

The only minor problem was that a USB device cable was not included. (Makes some sense as the unit will operate with either USB or serial). Luckily I had one and already had the drivers (ftd1) installed on my laptop and just plugged in the device cable, checked device manager to find the Com port and Ham Radio Deluxe's (version 6) rotor control saw it fine.

My beam has always been off about 5 or 6 degrees due to installing it off a bit and not wanting to climb up the tower again when it is pretty easy to add 5 to a heading. Now I don't even have to do that. The DCU-2 features an offset setting to auto-correct so that the beam's heading reads correct on the box! Love that feature.

The display is very nice but lacks any contrast or brightess control. This is the unit's only problem I have so far discovered. the display just really needs a contrast control. It is readable for sure but I think it would be improved by that addition.

The only setup problem was the manual says the offset is settable via the menu for -10 to 10 degrees. But actually the newer firmware allows for any offset from 0 to 360 degrees. (So 1 to179 for a plus offset and 181 to 359 for a minus offset). That was a bit confusing but customer support was easily reached by telephone and Tom at HyGain immediately helped out.

Using Ham Radio Deluxe I can log in a call and then it shows the beam heading and all I need to do is to click on that heading and the beam moves! Or, in HRD you can also just click on a world map, or enter the Maidenhead Square and send it to the DCU-2. Or, manually you can operate the box like a regular beam control box but just the CW and CCW keys, no need to manually release or hold a brake release. Or you can just turn the box's encoder knob and program in a beam heading and hit rotate to take the beam there. However you send the command the DCU-2's bright LCD numbers show the actual beam heading changing as it moves.

OK, this is not a critical update to my station. It is really just for fun as I hardly ever operate remotely. But I am finding it to be a treat to use and highly recommend it!