Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-82 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-82
Ameritron AL-82 Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2100.00
Description: 1.5 KW Output Linear Amplifier w/ 2 3-500 Tubes on 240V for US
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/products.php?prodid=AL-82

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-82.

N3TU Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2011 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Update Experience On New Amp  Time owned: months
On my previous post, I gave it a 5 and still have the amp about a month. Well, the small band switch knob fell off the front and could not find a allen wrench small enough. (I only use the amp on the weekends.) I didn't feel like running around to different places and look for one. So I went to the shelf and uncovered an old CB TRAM D201 tube set with nice big silver knob that you could use a small screw driver to tighten it to the shaft. Well, low and behold it actually looked better than the one the factory put on this new amp and matched the silver knobs that were on the plate and load. I even put a little red arrow on it like the other ones that came with the amp. The knob I used was bigger with a nice grip on the edges. Ameritron should take note of this and put on a bigger knob for a better feel. Now for 10 meter operation after I did the mod. Well, the tuning is real narrow especially if you have the antenna tuned to the band. It is touchy up on 10 meters. If I go up from 28.300 to 28.400 I have to tweak the plate and load to get the max out of the watt meter. Even with these minor problems, I still like the amp and works very well and getting good reports. 12 watts in will give me 400 out and 55 watts in will give me 1500 out unlike my Drake L4B which I had to drive it with 100 watts with new to get 1100 out and it also had two 3-500z's. I am having fun with this amp.

W6NFL Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2011 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Couldnt be Happier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love this amp. I like the idea of a pair of 3-500z over the single tube versions. 1500 watts and the 3-500z's are loafing..Plus tubes are relatively cheap. Amp has great cooling with its pressurized floor which forces air up through the tube's chimneys.

K2OWR Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2011 11:42 Send this review to a friend
KISS  Time owned: months
Keep It Simple Stupid....I have used LOTS of amplifiers thru the years, working them as hard as you can in serious contest duty. I can tell you from experience, the real expensive ones (name begins and ends with an A) will consistently let you down in a contest because some stupid $3 diode in the "protection" circuitry will fail. Who cares if if it's cheap to fix if you're in the middle of a contest and it quits....and they all do it!
The AL82 just keeps on pumping out the watts, contest after contest. I know how to tune and monitor an amplifier. Save your money and buy this one, and simply read the manual carefully!

N5VU Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2011 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Very Good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Okie dokie, if you look past my condition of an ampaholic, I hope you can see the real me. (That didn't make any sense at all. Too much RF I suppose.) My wife calls me an amplifier slut. Always trying a different amplifier. Well, I have found my soul mate in amplifiers.

What more could a person want. A reasonably price amplifier with reasonably priced tubes. Real tubes for real RF. Yep, the Ameritron AL-82. Over the years I have had Heathikit, Henry, Dentron, Yaesu, Ten Tec, more Heathkkit, various Ameritrons and others I'm sure I'm forgetting about.

Oh yeah, about the AL-82. It makes everything the book states that it will. Using 240 VAC, the power supply will deliver 3600 volts unloaded and the advertised 3300 volts under load. With 100 watts of drive, the Ip is 800 ma. Right where it should be for the 3-500Z. Ig behaves very well at about 240 ma. Above all, please keep in mide the limitations on a 3-500Z. Stay within those parameters and you will have an amplifier that lasts a long time.

The 3-500Z max Ep is 4000VDC, max. Ip of 400ma and and max Ig of 130 ma. For two tubes, with 4Kv and .8A you would get 3200 watts input. or about 2KW output. At 3300 VDC & 800 ma Ip, you get 2640 input and about 1700 watts output. So, with the AL82 this equates at about 85% of maximum on a pair of 3-500Z. Easy as she goes!

I did not find any loose nuts, bolts or screws. All was well with it when it arrived in three boxes. The RF deck in one box, the transformer in another and then the tubes in the third. Straight from HRO Deleware. Thanks guys!

The design is pretty straight forward, the bulk of the amplifier is built in direct support of the tubes. (Imagine that.) the left half is home to the power transformer, rectifiers (Full wave bridge) and filter caps. and the front right half home to the tank circuit and the back right quarter is the home of the two tubes (with chimmineys) and the blower.
The blower comes from the factory at medium speed. Fairly quite and ample air flow.

Front panel arrangement is easy to follow. The PLATE tuning is printed with the old familar Heathkit hash marks for bands. The load is numbered.

The left meter is a multimeter. HV, Ip, PO & ALC. The right meter is a dedicated Ig meter. As always, mind your grid currents for a clean signal.

Of course it has a very tight band switch. Good positive contact with each clunk.
It has 32 screws. After so much excitement of putting it together, 32 screws and all, I realize that I forgot to make the 10 meter modification. Crap! That will just have to wait for another day. At least before the ARRL 10 meter contest.

I went and visited both MFJ and Ameritron this summer. Even met Martin. And of course, Richard. The people are extremly nice there. Yes, sometimes they make mistakes. Consider this, they have a whole lot more going out the door than they did being returned. They make a LOT of stuff. AND! They ship overseas as well. Something you don't hear much about anymore. MADE IN THE USA.

I have been a ham since I was 16. I'm now 52 today. Ameritron has very good products. This is my 5th Ameritron. I have just been constantly upgrading to where I wanted to be. If you want to email me, send it to n5vu at yahoo dot com.

WB4OQX Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2011 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm always nervous ordering anything built by MFJ,but this amp arrived in great shape, and I found it was complete and well built. Installed the tubes and it has worked fine on all bands. Looks and works like an old Heathkit SB-220 on steroids.

WB9AZA Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2011 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Value But  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The AL82 is a good value for the money.
It does however have issues with quality workmanship.
You must check every nut and bolt, solder joints and for correct wiring. I found several cold solder joints, lose components, incorrect fan wiring according to the manual. The loading cap shaft was not connected and the knob pointer was bent to fit it to the shaft.
The power transformer failed in the first week of use. It became noisy due to the banding becoming slack.
Ameritron did a good job of resolving this issue with amazing speed; I had a new transformer sent to me in 4 days.
One change I highly recommend is the a change to the poor power transformer mounting. The transformer is supported by 4 ¼ inch studs. This make installing a 32 pound piece of iron easy but does not provide the proper support. I believe this caused the failure mentioned earlier of the transformer banding.
Install the transformer directly to the chassis base and you won’t regret it. It also seems the quite the entire amp from the light weight sheet metal vibrations.
If it were not for the lack of workmanship I would rate this classic design higher.

Jim WB9AZA

W5DGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2011 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Rugged and Powerful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my AL-82 through Cedar City Sales,(thanks guys) and after a short wait for the unit to be manufactured, it arrived perfectly packaged. Assembly was straight foward, and I soon found out how powerful this amplifier is. Easily makes legal limit, with room to spare. Did I forget to mention this unit is built like a tank? I am looking foward to much DX ahead. Good work Ameritron.

K5BJM Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2010 16:56 Send this review to a friend
BEST AMP MADE!!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK, I have put 2 of these Amps through the ringer and they have not failed me in any way. I have 2 of these 1 for my home and 1 for my ranch in central TX. I use these for long winded ragchewing and DX at 1200 to 1500 watts on SSB all the time. Both of these will do 1800+++ with 100 watts in. I get great audio reports all the time at both locations, useing a 756 pro 3 at home, and a icom 7000 at the ranch . I truly believe that the 500z tubes give the best audio available in any amp design today. There is no reason I see to own any other type of Amp! I have used these for almost 2 years and they were used when I bought them.

N4JA Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 14:20 Send this review to a friend
great amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got rid of my 2 Al-80B's because I didn't like running a 3-500 at it's limit. This is my 2nd AL-82 in the past 5 years. At today's prices it is up there in price for a "you-tune-it-up- yourself linear. Look at what you get: a pair of 3-500ZG tubes loafing at about 60% of their full rating, glass chimneys over the tubes,a blower which is actually quiet (You have to have complete silence in your room to hear it), and 3800 idling plate voltage. With 100 watts drive the amp puts out over 1800 watts (illegal) on 80 meters and it will actually put out over 1500 watts on 10 meters. I drive mine with about 65 watts and get out over 1200 watts on all bands. It operates flawlessly at that power rating and you are not going to hear the plate tuning capacitor arc over because you have the plate loading control set too low on tune up. The input SWR is 1.5:1 on 17 meters and my rig does not fold back. I get full output on 17 meters. The best improvement I've seen on the newest production run is the meter lamps have been replaced with LED's. The only change I would suggest to Ameritron is the incorporation of a real wattmeter instead of the R.F. Voltmeter which is labeled PO.

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2009 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Grrreat !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Earlier this yera I decided to get an 82.
Got a new one. Love it dearly.
The new ones are very quiet, no relay clacks or blower noise. No complaints what so ever.
I would buy another. My snot slinger will do 1500 +++++