Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Palm Pico Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for Palm Pico Paddle
Palm Pico Paddle Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $85 euros
Description: The smallest paddle in series production in the world.
More info: http://www.palm-radio.de/english/eppaddle.html

You can write your own review of the Palm Pico Paddle.

K2DER Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2014 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I need a mini paddle to match with my HB-1B so I decide to buy de pico paddle, great product, fast shipping, tiny paddle great performance, my rig immediately falling in love with this paddle.

VA3IF Rating: 3/5 Jul 31, 2014 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Hmmm.. They could use some better quality control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A great idea and well designed. I especially like the fact that the 1/8" 3 conductor jack is accessible for repair. (Can you smell the sarcasm?" I discovered this when the dah paddle became intermittent. . I examined the plug with my magnifier and discovered that there is an O-ring that holds the two molded halves of the plug body together. I slipped the O-ring down and used a utility knife to pry the halves apart. There is was.... A poor solder joint (broken).
I didn't expect to have to repair the plug after a week or two, considering that I am very gentle with jacks and plugs.
If not for that issue I'd have given it a five. But this experience left a sour taste in my mouth.
Ordering online...? Well, IMHO the website ordering page is confusing and ambiguous. I found that out when I ordered a 'quick mount' that I didn't really need. (And, if I HAD needed it, there would not have been any magnets included. That's extra)
So, between the website and the poorly soldered cable, I can't really give any more than an Ok. That's my two cents.

N1EU Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2014 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic paddle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love this paddle and use it on all my SOTA activations. It's super lightweight, compact, and keys beautifully, even in sub-freezing weather. I'm sorry but I have to take one point off because of the flimsy cable. A paddle of this quality and cost deserves a better cable, especially since it is designed for portable use out in the field and won't just be sitting on someone's desk. My cable failed where it exits the molded 2.5mm connector (paddle end) and I suspect everyone else's will eventually fail there as well. By all means, buy this paddle - but you should build your own cable (2.5mm and 3.5mm stereo connectors) with strain relieved connections.

N6PG Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2014 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Must have for the KX3  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was using the palm paddle with my radio, but I decided to travel with a minimum setup and this paddle is GREAT. very small, but a great feel. I haven't used CW for years, so I was worried the small paddle might be difficult to get a feel for. I was wrong. It's easy and it has a nice feel. I like that it rotates to align how you want it, as opposed to having to rotate the whole radio. It stores away in its protected case and rotates to "park" next to the radio. I love it!

KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 07:48 Send this review to a friend
A whole bunch of function in a small package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only owned this little feller for a couple weeks. I'm already amazed. First of all, it is small. I mean SMALL. I was shocked when I opened the package. The photos online show it in the hands of an individual. All I can say is, the person must have small hands.

I was worried about the size at first, but once I hooked it up and adjusted it, my fear instantly vanished.

The key is extremely smooth and well built. Despite my huge and heavy hands, I have not knocked it out of adjustment at all.

The cable connection is exceptional. Much better than the traditional Palm connector.

I was a bit skeptical of the magnetic base and it's usefulness. Again, those concerns were quickly dashed as soon as I stuck it to something metal. The little baby paddle easily holds on.

I do a lot of deep back county hiking and wanted a light/small key to stuff in the pack. This key fits that bill exactly. It weighs essentially nothing, and takes up less space than a Bic lighter.

If you want a precise, extremely small key, at a decent price then give the Pico a try.

K5TTE Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2013 08:47 Send this review to a friend
A winner---as usual !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hats off to the gentleman in Colorado.

This paddle is exceptional, like it's big brother.
The mechanism,fit and finish, are the ultimate in precision.

As others have noted, the cable connector problem has
been completely resolved. I've had many good paddles
but none better. For those of you using the Chinese HB-1
series, as well as the LNR Mantiz, it's a perfect match.

Bravo!

N1FJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2013 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the Pico Paddle on Sunday, received it on Wednesday. I have the "big" Palm Paddle but wanted something for use with the KX3. The Pico is improved over the Palm Paddle in that it has a much much better cord connection. It mounts easily on the KX3 and the action seems just as good as the full-sized model. (FB, in other words.)

W7BV Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2013 15:57 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Pico Paddle is very compact and lightweight. Like its bigger brother, the mini-paddle, the Pico Paddle is protected in an attached case when not in use; both are very smooth and easy to adjust. My Pico Paddle is attached to my KX3 with the MK-KX3 mounting bracket. The paddle in its protected case folds against the KX3 when not in use or during transit and does not need additional protection or removal as is the case with the Elecraft or Begali Adventure paddles both of which I have and use.

WD0BC Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2013 12:31 Send this review to a friend
QUALITY AS EXPECTED   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
JUST received the PALM PICO PADDLE and MOUNTING KIT.

JUST WHAT I EXPECTED.

The quality is up to the usual PALM PADDLE standard. Only difference is the
SIZE. Adjustment as the standard unit and works flawlessly.

The "plug" that goes into the KX3 is a little loose but that may not ever become
a problem.

This new PICO KEY will most likely never be removed from my KX3.

G5VZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2013 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Tiny, wonderful and beautifully made!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As soon as I saw a video of the Pico Paddle on a KX3 I knew I wanted one. As it was, Dieter and Hannes at Palm Radio processed my order quickly with plenty of useful feedback on its progress. It arrived well packed and in a Palm transport case, much like the Mini Paddle did some years back.
The key really is a gem: it has a natural feel to it in use and is kind on the muscles and tendons. It is, considering its size, very sturdy and stable, too. It required almost no adjustment before I was happily sending with the paddles; as expected of Palm Radio paddles, the Pico Paddle has an adjustment Allen key mounted in its base. Both the paddles and the KX3 mount are also very well finished.
The connector on the keyer cable is a good fit to the paddles assembly and the other end is terminated with a standard jack making it useful for any radio. (The 3.5mm plug is augmented by an included 1/4" adaptor.) There is another KX3-mount cable, shorter and terminated in the same 4-pin plug seen on the KXPD3.
The KX3 mount itself - the MK-KX3 - is also sturdy, its design well thought out and it is well manufactured. It's a little fiddly to instal on the KX3 with two countersunk screws (I would prefer thumb-type fittings - but that's a small point) Once it's on the radio it provides a good range of positions - I key left-handed so have the paddle projecting south-west from the radio. The paddle is easily removed from the mount and, with magnetic attachment, I imagine the fit will remain firm over a long working life.
It's not cheap but it is a quality piece of kit and I am one very satisfied customer!