Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q Antenna
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$550.00
Description: Piranha 10-160
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q Antenna.

WA0OQW Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2016 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Company  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Brought a Military Hi-Q antenna through eBay. Charlie was very supportive in assisting me in getting it operational. Great portable vertical antenna. I use the Shakespeare Military mount and the portable tripod that Charlie supplies to the military. I can not thank him enough for his assistance in getting it operational. Look forward to buying more antennas from him. Recommend him and his company to anyone. You will not be disappointed!!!
Len

N7IBC Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2014 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a 2.5/80 Manual Tune antenna a few years ago from Charlie. I got out of HF mobile for a time, then installed the antenna last spring on my F-250 Super Duty. I built a shunt coil for it, and the antenna plays great. I get fantastic reports
from everyone I talk to. I would like to upgrade to the black colored Piraņa antenna, but really want a manual tune, and I don't know if he still makes them that way. I just prefer the manual tune antennas. All in all, out of all the mobile HF antennas I have tried over the years, this is the best one by far!

K0TAZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 13:08 Send this review to a friend
4/80 is a great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
MY NAME IS BOB AHLBERG.I BOUGHT MY FIRST ANTENNA FROM CHARLIE,AT HI-Q ANTENNAS IN 2002 I HAPPENED TO BE IN SO.CALIFORNIA AND WENT TO CHARLIES HOME AND HE INSTALLED IT FOR ME.MY TRUCK WAS A 1999 KENWORHT W900L. I RAN THIS ANTENNA FOR 1,798,955 MILES.EVERY YEAR ALL I DID WAS REGULAR MAINTANCE,JUST CLEAN UP THE ROAD GRIM,MAINLY THE SALT FROM THE HIGHWAYS..I RAN A ALS-500 AMP IN THE TRUCK AND ALSO HAD A 6METER LOOP..I CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THIS ANTENNA,I WORKED THRU EVERY KIND OF WEATHER ANY TIME I WANTED IT TO I EVEN WORK IT FROM -45F TO 120F NEVER FAILED. ABOUT THE 4TH YEAR THE MOTOR WENT DOWN.I CALLED CHARLIE AND HE SENT ME A NEW ONE FOR FREE..OVER THE YEARS I TOLD 50 DRIVERS I KNOW ABOUT THIS ANTENNA MANY WENT A BOUGHT ONE.IN 2007 I BOUGHT THE 5/160 AS A DI-POLE AND PUT ON THE GARAGE WORK 100 COUNTRIES ON IT .I DESIDED I WANTED TO EORK 160M FROM MY TRUCK[SAME ONE ] SO I PUT ONE HALF OF THE 5/160 ON MY TRUCK AND RAN IT OIN THERE UNTILL I RETIRED RAN IT FOR 1,000 250 MILES BOTH ANTENNS ARE GREAT INVESTMENTS FOR MOBILE OPERATION.THE SERVICE FOR CHARLIE IS OUSTANDING AND AND PROMPT.WITH BOTH ANTENNAS I HAVE 2,799,205 MILES ON HIQ ANTENNAS.IF ANT ONE NEEDS ANY INFO ON SETTING UP YOUR ANTENNA ON YOUR 18 WHEELER LET ME KNOW MY EMAIL IS k0taz@hotmail.com ...THANKS CHARLIE FOR 14 YEARS OF GREAT SERVICE AND FRIENDSHIP..73,BOB AHLBERG.

KA0SAB Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2013 13:31 Send this review to a friend
EVEN BETTER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In my past review I wrote how I had over 1 million miles on my 5-80 Antenna, well as I stated I wrote Charlie to let him know, and he said he would rebuild it for me at no charge!

He instead sent me a Brand New Piranha for FREE before I even sent him my old one, just so I would not be with out one, and because I had over a million miles on it!
By the time I took the old 5-80 off the Semi, I had 1 million 61,487 miles on it and still working! I started having a problem about a month ago when I would get into heavy rain and snow.
That is a lot of use with out a problem!
I looked at other Antenna's, but the prices ranged from $669.00 + mount,To more for 10-160 for a 3" Tar-heel that would change height to $858.00 3" Scorpio that still would change height and has a seal that will go up and down the out side of the coil tube. That means I would have to clean the out side of the tube whenever it may have collected any dirt.
The other thing I did not like is when the Antenna changes height what happens when I get into freezing rain or Ice?
I would have to stop and tap the side of the coil tube to break it off so I could change bands and take a chance on putting a dent or something in it. The High-Q stays the same height and is all sealed inside to keep it Clean.
I decided to stay with the Hi-Q and that is when I called Charlie and let me tell you I am glad I did! He not only stands behind his product, he went beyond and sent me a new one for free.

I have now had this Antenna on for 2 weeks and it is out performing my old Hi-Q ant with out a doubt!
I have worked (north west coast of England in a pile up to a gentle man walking down the beach pulling a wagon he called it a trolly with battery's radio and 1/4 wave ant with a cap hat to in a pile up, to working Germany and Italy,France,Tazmania,New Zealand, Africa,Austria,
Wales, and many others on 100 Watts Mobile, in pile ups and getting through, with people asking me what kind of Amp I am running! NONE!

In summary for $550.00 which is cheaper then the other antennas and to me better built and will run 10-160,and does not depend on changing height, and is sealed better. I have had this one on all bands and works GREAT! My contacts have been made mainly at night and in the early morning hours.
I am looking forward to another Millions miles of trouble free service!
Charlie I can't thank you enough.
I have 2 other ham's that drive for me and will be ordering from Charlie!
In Three month's I will write more on this Antenna
and how it is working out. I will be parking my Truck at field Day this year and using the Piranha as one of the Antennas, so others can see how well it works. I have run BB3's and other screw driver Antennas and this is the Best!
Harold KA0SAB