Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-11 Automatic Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-11 Automatic Antenna Tuner
LDG Z-11 Automatic Antenna Tuner Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $179.00
Description: QRP (30W Max) Automatic Antenna Tuner with latching relays for zero power draw once tuned.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-11 Automatic Antenna Tuner.

5R8GQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2003 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner that you can improve  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Z-11 tuner kit to use with my PSK31
boards from SWL and the HF Packer Amp I built
from the HF Projects Group. I had some problems
with RF getting into the tuner, so I made the following mods:
1) Added a ground lug. I did this by exposing
the ground plane on the underside of the PC board,
and running 1/4 solder braid to a bolt and wing nut through the hole in the back middle of the enclosure.
2) Isolated the DC Ground with it's own wire, instead of it being part of the jumper from the screw of the RF input SO-239. I made 6 turns around an FT37-43 ferrite torroid as a choke.
3) Used another 6 turns on an FT37-43 torroid as an RF choke on the Positive DC input.
4)Used #20 Silver Teflon wire with 3 ferrite
beads on it to replace the enamaled wire jumpers
from the SO-239's to the PC board.
5) I replaced all capacitors in the tuning stage
with Silver Mica caps for lower loss, and added a
higher value cap (2000pf) at the high end of the capacitance range to increase range of the tuner.
6) While purely cosmetic, I replaced the tuning
LED's with clear state high brightness LED's.
This required a change of resistors on the front panel board, check whatever LED's you buy for required current.

Now I am extremely satisfied with the tuner,
tunes most anything, including long wires
connected directly to the center of the antenna
SO-239, without use of the overpriced optional balun. I was able to tune a 16 foot long wire on 40m.

I suggest you do these mods if you buy the kit version. If you have an assembled version, I do not suggest you change the capacitors unless you have experience removing components from double sided through-hole plated PC boards. But by all
means put chokes on the DC input and ground.
Quick and dirty you could put chokes on the DC
cable outside the tuner (as the manual suggests!)
but I think my method is cleaner.

KB0GC Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2003 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Works incredibly well. I use it mobile, portable, and base with an SGC-2020. It works as advertised and I couldn't be happier with it.

KB7INO Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2003 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Definitely Worth Having - A++  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this tuner for about a year and it is great.
I've used this to tune several antennas at the home QTH :
- 50 foot dipole fed w/ ladder line, I use the antenna from 40-10, but it also tuner will it 80!
- 120 foot vertical wire (end fed on 80, 1/4 wave on 160)

For the field:
- 102" whip on my van; it'll tune it down to 80 meters! ... not very efficient, but will tune it
- 33 foot piece of wire, I use this on 20 and above, but it has tuned it down to 80
- 17 foot vertical antenna, tune it down to 40 meters.

Why I got this antenna, I went camping with a buddy of mine, and he had Z-11 and I had a manual tuner.
1 - the Z-11 is smaller so it is easier to pack... yes you need to pack a battery, but if you are bringing a radio, you are already bringing a battery.
2 - the MAIN reason was because it is really nice to touch one button and have your antenna tuned for you. When you are in the field, you really don't want to be twisting knobs... also tuning is much fast, so you are not causing QRM to other operators.

Cons, just one, it would have been nice it you could easily fit an internal battery. The fix is to get AAA and tape them inside (a AAA holder won't fit inside)... so this point isn't a big deal.

I bought a factory assembled used unit.

Over all, I'd say definitely buy this tuner!

Because of the battery con I mentioned above, I would realistically give this a ~4.75 rating.

M3CMA Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2003 19:18 Send this review to a friend
In one word - Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my ldg z-11 automatic tuner from Walters and Stanton in the UK, I decided to go for the kit form which saved some money and would provide some fun.

The kit is provided with good instructions, including colour pictures which certainly can help.

All components were clear and as detailed in the instructions, unlike some kits which seem to be made up with every possible alternative component!

I did have some problems and contact LDG in the USA both my e-mail and phone. Having spoken to Dwayne I was pointed in the right direction and suprise suprise it was a mistake on my part during construction.

In operation it is fast, very fast and above all can tune just about anything! I would strongly recommend one of these units to anybody who wants a low power Automatic ATU

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2003 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Great with Argo V  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use one with the Argo V, and have the 12v DC wired to the same power source as the rig. Tunes every antenna I have on all bands 80 - 10M, and I have tested it on an 80M dipole, MA5B Minibeam and Force-12 Sigma 40XK. Very similar to the Elecraft KAT tuner that I built for my Elecraft K1. I do wish the Argo V had a built in tuner option - I don't care much for outboard tuners for QRP rigs. Too much stuff to carry!

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2003 11:49 Send this review to a friend
"A perfect match" for the FT 817!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After purchasing my FT 817 and trying to get my
Smart Tuner to load properly with 5 watts, I checked this website and was very impressed with the reviews on the Z-11. E mails to LDG asking specifics about the antenna were promptly returned.
I purchased one and am totally impressed. It handles the FT 817 into my Cushcraft vertical as well as random wires. I use it with my IC 706 at the 50 watt level (CW/SSB) and it performs flawlessly.
Simple, small and compact, easy to tote around with the FT 817. A couple of rolls of #20 hookup wire from Radio Shack, and I am on HF working DX from hotel rooms and portable locations.

I would recommend this tuner highly! I am taking mine back to Australia this summer for some trekking in the Outback.

K6USN/VK4DSN

G7RUP Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2003 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Impressed..I am  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like many other people I bought my Z11 to live along side my FT-817. All I can say is fantastic, both the product and support. I had cause to email LDG and had a response within the hour with a great explanation. It appears that I managed to purchase a kit that is quite old and has the wrong power socket..LDG immediately offered to send me one..Great Service..

Would I buy another one ...Definately !

K2PGB Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2002 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As with most users I purchased it to use with my FT-817. My main station is a double size G5RV and the Z-11 will tune it on any band 160 thru 10 with ease.
Recommend for low power operation without hesitation.
Chris K2PGB

KL0YO Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2002 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ive used this tuner for about a year now, mostly in a portable field environment. It works as advertised, as most of these reviews already state. I would buy another if I needed one.
The only issued I have with it is that it really takes at least 12 volts to operate properly, specs say 11-14 or something like that, but 12 is as low as it will reliably work for me. Also, in cold temps, like below zero in Alaska where I use it most of the winter, it just doesnt work. I can't really fault LDG because this is way out of operating specs as published, it must be warmed up to function. Even with that being said, I love how well it works when it does.

KA3ZKE Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2002 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner - perfect w/ 817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the Z11 as a companion to my Yaesu FT817 and MP-1 antenna.

This is a GREAT (!) compact tuner for your QRP adventures. I've tuned several antennas with it (at home and at the club shack) with great matches each time.

Quick, simple, and it works. Tops in my book.

As I mentioned, this tuner is a 'must-have' with the FT817 IMHO. Hope to see y'all down the log.