Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTdx-1200 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-1200
Yaesu FTdx-1200 Reviews: 114 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$1879
Description: The FT DX 1200 provides up to 100 Watts on SSB, CW, and FM
(25 Watts AM carrier) and a rugged state of the art highly
balanced receiver circuit configuration for top performance
on today’s crowded bands. Similar to the high end “YAESU FT
DX” series, it uses 32-bit high speed floating point DSP.
Yaesu’s acclaimed superior DSP algorithm is highly effective
in weak signal processing and enhancement. The 1st IF
frequency is protected by selectable 3 kHz, 6 kHz and 15 kHz
roofing filters that effectively attenuate interfering
signals.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-1200.

W7KKK Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2018 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this rig after being cleared for mild RF exposure of my pacemaker/defib unit without the fear of reprogramming it and being off the air for two years.
I have owned many Yaesu products over the years compared to ICOM and had good luck with the Yaesu line over the years. Models owned started with a 101EE, 990,840,897,450,950 and a 1000 Field.
With all the filtering you could want and all the other features I think this radio is a keeper.
I think it's much better than the 950 that I had last too.

K4TK Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2017 07:42 Send this review to a friend
About that clock issue....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm updating my review to address the clock issue just mentioned in the VK callsign review below. So now I know it's not just me! Bought my 1200 right around the exact same time you did. And same EXACT thing with the clock! Contacted Yaesu tech folks. It's one of those 3 volt disc batteries used by many modern electronics. Good news, shouldn't leak if we leave the dead battery in. Bad news, yes...it is dead. Yrs, it must be sent back to replace....It's supposedly soldered in? I'm not paying shipping....both ways...and repair....and waiting without a radio. I used to set the clock ever time I turned on the radio (it keeps time while powered on ). No more, I bought an MFJ clock and set it to UTC. Yes, it's a shame about the clock.

I've had my FT DX 1200 over 2 years now. I upgraded from an old Kenwood TS 440. There's of course no comparison....but then....the old Kenwood was about a 20 year old rig! I love MOST of the features on the radio. I will agree as one other review noted....when working contests....or sometimes when working pileups where the DX is working split, I can hear considerable "bleedover" from stations calling the DX....sometimes as far as 3 or 4 khz away on CW. To work around this, I use the Notch filter and also use the Width control ....narrowing the receive bw just a little along with the notch seems to take all the "off frequency" stations calling out....and I hear just the dx then. So yes, it could stand to have a bit better rejection on adjacent freqs.

Another thing I've noted, there's been some confusion when I went to interface new products...like the MFJ 998 auto tuner. What cable to get for automated features is often a guess....as many manufacturers don't yet list the 1200 in their list of supported radios. Likewise, often when I interface the radio with options on my logging program (DX4WIN), they don't have the 1200 listed. I've contacted the support team for the software, and they said (at the time) "you're the first person to try and interface that radio with our software....try some other Yaesu radio settings from our menu....see if you can get it to work, then report back here and share so we can tell others". No problems, I'm an Electrical Engineer with 38 years experience in the Comm world....so I like a challenge. In the end, I've gotten all the products I've added to use with the radio working (DCU3 rotator control, MFJ 998 auto tuner, Ameritron ALS-1306 amp, DX4WIN logging software). All those products work with the rig....just took some experimenting to get remote/automatic control/cables working.

Great radio for the money. I see now where it's on sale for UNDER 1000 bucks. For that money, it's a GREAT deal.

I recently added a Heil PR 781 mic for it....and using the built in parametric mic eq settings, the TX audio sounds FANTASTIC!

One other note....it was aggravating trying to do the firmware updates ...as you would lose the menu/memory settings. But I found there was some 3rd party software that lets you save all those settings. That way, you just save your settings ....then download your firmware upgrades and install them....then use the 3rd party software to restore the menu/memory settings.

VK2DET Rating: 3/5 Dec 23, 2017 16:51 Send this review to a friend
problem with clock not retaining time after switch off  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi Ive had my FTDX1200 since (new) 15/10/2014,Ive been happy with its performance ease of use etc etc.
But last few months (approx 8 months)Ive had this annoying problem with the clock not retaining the time!!Ive set it and after switching off,Came back several hours and days later to find clock set at ZERO!!The memory settings for other settings on the rig aren't being effected.
Ive been told to return it to the place of purchase etc etc for replacement of the battery (as it still has warranty)
But its a pain to ship to the dealer etc just for a battery!!.
Im still not convinced its a battery issue as WHY DO THE OTHER SETTINGS REMAIN AS SET???
Ive kept up the firmware updates etc,
I cannot understand why the clock wont stay set
Ive got the FFT Board installed,
The other problem that has just started is the DISPLAY SLANTING TO LEFT ON THE SCREEN,But it seems to of righted itself the other day.
So in summery am I about to sart having MAJOR PROBLEMS ??
Has anybody had similar problems with the OTHERWISE EXCELLENT trx.
Thanks for reading

K4DJQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2017 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for the money!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned the FTDX-1200 for a couple of weeks now and have to say that I'm very impressed with it. I've owned several rigs over the 25 years that I have been licensed and have to say that this radio holds it's own against the big dogs!! I've owned the Icom 756, Yaesu FT1000MP MarkV Field Kenwood TS570D and Kenwood TS480SAT just to name a few and IMO the 1200 blows them out of the water. Great job Yaesu on a great radio for the money. IMO the ones who gave this radio a bad review probably should have read the manual before trying to operate the radio, You probably would have had better luck with it!!!!

KT8DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2017 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Simply put - best rig I've owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a ham since 1975 and have owned quite a few rigs. With the exception of the TS-940 I used to own this is my favorite radio. Controls are solid and not tiny little pots like some other radios I've had. It is ultra reliable unlike the many Ten-Tec's I've owned. The ergonomics are great, receiver performance is fantastic, CW features are wonderful. I go through radios and get tired of them easily. This one I've had since they first came out and feel no need to "upgrade". If I did it would be to a FTDX-3000 only to have the Panadapter output, real-time scope, and second receiver. I see Yaesu has discounted these further now - if you are on the fence you can't go wrong pulling the trigger on this radio.

N4WRE Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2017 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I have just owned the FTDX1200 a couple of weeks but I really like it. I have had a lot of compliments about the transmit audio with just a cheap studio mic. The receive is very impressive, the sound out of the internal speaker is great. I don't see how you could go wrong with this rig. I have the matching speaker and have really enjoyed using this rig. Try one for yourself and you will be happy. Not a fan of Yaesu until I bought the 1200. I think it is A+++

73 N4WRE

G4MJA Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2017 03:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the FTdx1200 new 10 months ago.Initially I spent quite some time setting up my preferences in the very comprehensive 196 menus, this does take a while! Most of the menus are 'set & forget'. It is proving to be a great radio on both transmit & receive.The DNR (Dynamic Noise Reduction) works really well at killing band noise & boosting a weak signal. On SSB the best the display power meter will show is 60 to 70W PEP, don't be fooled, this is an average power meter, the radio runs a genuine 100w on speech peaks displayed on my outboard digital meter. At current prices I consider this radio to be a bargain.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2017 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Great middle class rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this rig to replace an Icom IC-7100 for base station operation.The size and control layout is just perfect. The oustanding point of this radio is really the dsp. It's probably the best noise reduction I've seen in this price range.I've fitted mine with the FFT-1 board and the SCU-17 interface. Digital operation was managed in a few minutes. The receiver, while not ranking among the best on Sherwood list is quite capable. I also found the audio to be very good straight out the box with no external speaker. Overall a very nice value for the price.

KG4VDZ Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2017 12:22 Send this review to a friend
5 star rig at a great perice   Time owned: more than 12 months
After having my 1200 for about a year I decided to trade for a 991. Well that was a huge mistake I hated the 991 was like playing with a little toy. Sold the 991 purchased a yaesu ft-950 the 950 was ok but it is no 1200. The void of not having my 1200 back was killing me a 1200 came up local for sale so I jumped on it. And boy was I glad I did. The receive is awesome I can hear weak stations I cant hear on my other rigs with the same antenna. The DNR is amazing it removes the noise floor and brings the signal to the front. The large color screen is great and easy on the eyes I have had no problems at all with both the 1200s I owned. I do wish some of the front panel buttons were back lit as they can be hard to see in the dark. The filters work great and I love the narrow function as I can squeeze the receive filters all the way down to 200hz and up to 4000hz Cant think of anything I dislike about it at all my next upgrade will be the ftdx3000

W4YAT Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2017 18:28 Send this review to a friend
New Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received today. Very fast shipping from HRO. Moved up from a FT-450D and I am really pleased. Receive quality is far superior, added features are a big plus, especially the scope. Unboxed and hooked it up and quickly made 2 DX contacts within minutes on 20 meters. I'll give a complete review once I learn the full capability of the radio, but first impression is a 5+.