Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTdx-1200 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-1200
Yaesu FTdx-1200 Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$1879
Description: The FT DX 1200 provides up to 100 Watts on SSB, CW, and FM
(25 Watts AM carrier) and a rugged state of the art highly
balanced receiver circuit configuration for top performance
on todayís crowded bands. Similar to the high end ďYAESU FT
DXĒ series, it uses 32-bit high speed floating point DSP.
Yaesuís acclaimed superior DSP algorithm is highly effective
in weak signal processing and enhancement. The 1st IF
frequency is protected by selectable 3 kHz, 6 kHz and 15 kHz
roofing filters that effectively attenuate interfering
signals.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-1200.

WA9D Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2014 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Amazing for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just 1 week so far, more later if any reason to change. Had FT-950, damaged by nearby lightning stroke. Loved the 950, wanted something similar, 1200 seemed like the way to go both because it would be somewhat familiar and because of online comments and other eham reviews. Ordered from HRO (got their usual wonderful service!). Also ordered FFT board. Powered it up, immediate QSO with Brazil (on 20M, 1/4 wave vertical). Played around with it, realizing I need to learn more to get the most out of it. Then installed FFT board. Love that also.
One thing that is not obvious: The AF spectral display with the FFT really helps tuning RTTY or other digital modes. With RTTY selected this display indicates where the mark and space frequencies should be so you just tune until the actual frequencies slide over onto those markers. I had not been too sure that the FFT would be all that useful if I would really work these modes using the Tigertronics I already had, but it does really help.
I had thought I would want a continous scope display of what's on the band near me. But the auto setting gets a new sweep when you make much of a tuning change, so it is almost always up to date without your asking for a new sweep manually.
The ability to set the second antenna port as receive only is something I wished I had on the 950: I had designed little boxes that would switch antennas automatically using the T/R info from a back-panel connector, but never got around to building one.
I have lots of QRM on 80 and 40 (never played much with 160) and the DSP in the 1200 does a fine job, much better than the 950 did. I think it will get even better as I become more fluent with the controls.
I love the display. It gives lots of information: So far I find myself looking around "I know that is here somewhere" for some things, but they are actually in logical places and I just need to get used to the new box. I like the several controls that are now accessible directly rather than having to hit the menus: A nice compromise, I think, between versatility and a finite front panel.
From the moment I turned it on, I loved it!
Bob Wilson, WA9D

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2014 06:23 Send this review to a friend
outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GREAT RADIO, UNHAPPY ABOUT THE RADIO NOT TUNING ALL LONG WIRES OR DIAPOLES. HAVE TO BUY NEW ANTENNAS OR ANTENNA TUNER. MY KENWOODS WOULD TUNE A CLOTHES HANGER, O WELL, CAN HAVE EVERYTHING.OTHER WISE THE BEST RADIO I HAVE HAD IN THE 100 OR SO.GREAT RECEIVER!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!HAD TWO DAYS, STILL LEARNING THE RADIO, AT MY AGE LEARNING IS SLOW.

N4QNT Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2014 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Best Bang for the $$$$$  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just came across some awesome information to get this radio to have fantastic quality audio like and FT-2000 or FT-5000,9000D...

Update: Jun 18, 2014
= FTdx1200 & FTdx3000 4Khz SSB TX =
Over the past few days, I spent some time critically looking over the specs of the FTdx1200 and FTdx3000 and I'm now convinced that 4Khz SSB TX mode is possible in both radios! In other words, it's possible to place the FTdx1200 and FTdx3000 into the 'ttbf' mode thereby extending the SSB TX BW to 4Khz.

Two things show that this is possible:
1) The "WIDTH" control can be extended to 4Khz by turning it fully CW;
2) The specs for Menu #104 (for both radios) state that these TX BW are possible:
[1-30= 100-3000]; [1-29= 100-2900]; [2-28= 200-2800]; [3-30= 300-2700]; [4-26= 400-2600] and 3000WB.

The last setting "3000WB" [100-3000] is found on the FT2000, FTdx5000, FTdx9000 radios; when the "magic" two buttons are pressed while pressing the POWER switch, "3000WB" is replaced in Menu #104 by "ttbf" which is the 4Khz TX mode. The two buttons for the FT2000 are described in the FT2000 table below.

WM6P Rating: 4/5 Jun 20, 2014 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had an early FTdx1200 and for the price it is a winner. It seemed to lack filtering with adjacent channel signals and got on the air complaints of a wide ssb signal.
I tried a friends K3 and fell in love. After eight months sold the 1200, replaced by the Elecraft. Now in all fairness they are not in the same price class.
For $1500 the winners are the FTdx1200 or the Kenwood 590. Both are good radios.

ON4VT Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2014 02:12 Send this review to a friend
Top !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased it about one month ago and I'm surprised about the quiet RX and amazing filtering ... My previous TX was a Kenwood TS570 (still in use for /P). Both radios are not to compare ...

K7WXK Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2014 07:14 Send this review to a friend
update of previous review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After receiving the 1200 back from Yaesu due to a blank screen, it has performed flawlessly. I previously gave it a 3 because in this high tech world reliability is pretty important. It is definitely one of the best bangs for the buck. Still learning how to best utilize all the features, so the rig just keeps on getting better with experience. $1500 buys a lot of radio in the FTdx-1200. You won't be sorry.

VE3GZB Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2014 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Impressive! Not perfect but a step in the right direction.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Iím quite surprised by the quality of the receiver in the FTdx1200. In terms of the newer radios Iíve had a good share of Kenwood radios from hybrid models to a TS-2000 as well as keeping my older British KW Electronics tube radios alive and on the air.

I enjoy chasing 20 and 15 meter DX through pileups, but as many hams know crowding can become an issue especially if the DX youíre chasing gets stepped on due to varying band conditions. So being able to notch out and reject a signal thatís only a couple hundred hertz away from your desired signal is a real bonus.

I went to Radioworld in Toronto to try out a variety of rigs they had on display including some which cost over 10 grand. Ease of use, layout and performance in tight band conditions were of importance to me. Some of the radios these days seem to be designed by committees or software programmers rather than radio engineers and the layout of some of these newer radios leaves much to be desired.

I tried the FTdx1200 there in the store and I was pleasantly surprised by itís relative ease of use, the low noise of the front end and the ability to control where I want to direct the receiverís efforts on detecting a signal and where to reject a signal.

Certainly it is a major step up from the Kenwood TS2000 which seems to be much noisier than it should be.

There is definitely a learning curve to this radio. The menu system takes a little getting used to. Trying to find how to adjust output power limits for example was a little bit of a science experiment and the scope feature where the band spectrum contents are displayed for the operatorís interest does annoyingly mute the audio when itís set to automatically refresh itself at set intervals.

Nevertheless I did find this to be a very good radio when chasing DX in pileups.

WD8U Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2014 16:37 Send this review to a friend
outstading  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This FTDX 1200 is outstanding. Iv had mine for about six months....and it is a pleasure to operate. The menu system is very intuitive , easy to use for sure.
By programing the NAR button for the power output
menu , I can adjust power quickly...(menu 177).
The FFT board is a Must Have...very nice option.
I did a test with a FT950 side by side and this FTdx1200 is very low noise and better (IMHO). Great audio on recive and transmit. A very good value.
Sotware with the included rs232 works great with HRD and many other programs. Easy to update also. A normal RS232 cable is all that was needed..($20)

KE4NU Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2014 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my FTDX1200 since January and so far I've been well pleased. The receiver is far superior to the Icoms I have or have had. It has lots of bells and whistles which really can enhance a signal or reduce interference. Keep your operating manual nearby, there is a learning curve. The transmitter work great too. Minor annoyances include an over sensitive tuning knob and no knob to reduce ssb power out(menu changeable). Overall its a great value and I'm well pleased.

KD0YDG Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2014 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This was my first purchase after renewing my HAM license. I was looking for a radio that was inexpensive but was more than a mobile unit. I paid only $1,100 for my radio from HRO.I had read numerous articles on this review site as well as others and am very glad I made the purchase. It is everything I expected, straight forward to learn and memorize with use and a good manual. Well worth what I paid.