Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTdx-1200 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-1200
Yaesu FTdx-1200 Reviews: 107 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$1879
Description: The FT DX 1200 provides up to 100 Watts on SSB, CW, and FM
(25 Watts AM carrier) and a rugged state of the art highly
balanced receiver circuit configuration for top performance
on today’s crowded bands. Similar to the high end “YAESU FT
DX” series, it uses 32-bit high speed floating point DSP.
Yaesu’s acclaimed superior DSP algorithm is highly effective
in weak signal processing and enhancement. The 1st IF
frequency is protected by selectable 3 kHz, 6 kHz and 15 kHz
roofing filters that effectively attenuate interfering
signals.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-1200.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2017 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Great middle class rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this rig to replace an Icom IC-7100 for base station operation.The size and control layout is just perfect. The oustanding point of this radio is really the dsp. It's probably the best noise reduction I've seen in this price range.I've fitted mine with the FFT-1 board and the SCU-17 interface. Digital operation was managed in a few minutes. The receiver, while not ranking among the best on Sherwood list is quite capable. I also found the audio to be very good straight out the box with no external speaker. Overall a very nice value for the price.

KG4VDZ Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2017 12:22 Send this review to a friend
5 star rig at a great perice   Time owned: more than 12 months
After having my 1200 for about a year I decided to trade for a 991. Well that was a huge mistake I hated the 991 was like playing with a little toy. Sold the 991 purchased a yaesu ft-950 the 950 was ok but it is no 1200. The void of not having my 1200 back was killing me a 1200 came up local for sale so I jumped on it. And boy was I glad I did. The receive is awesome I can hear weak stations I cant hear on my other rigs with the same antenna. The DNR is amazing it removes the noise floor and brings the signal to the front. The large color screen is great and easy on the eyes I have had no problems at all with both the 1200s I owned. I do wish some of the front panel buttons were back lit as they can be hard to see in the dark. The filters work great and I love the narrow function as I can squeeze the receive filters all the way down to 200hz and up to 4000hz Cant think of anything I dislike about it at all my next upgrade will be the ftdx3000

W4YAT Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2017 18:28 Send this review to a friend
New Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received today. Very fast shipping from HRO. Moved up from a FT-450D and I am really pleased. Receive quality is far superior, added features are a big plus, especially the scope. Unboxed and hooked it up and quickly made 2 DX contacts within minutes on 20 meters. I'll give a complete review once I learn the full capability of the radio, but first impression is a 5+.

VE3FST Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2017 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for your $$$ !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I see some negative comments at time over this rig . Personally I think people need to read the manual and count on making a few mistakes . When you learn the filters and where and when to use them , your all set . Very nice receive , great audio reports ! Buy one and enjoy it !

N2RRA Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2017 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Very impressed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Most who know me know very well I've never ever been a Yaesu fan. Yes, I've owned Yaesu products in the past and been satisfied with some and not so with others. Reviewing their track record in past proved all my conclusions of them and still do at times.

That being said I'm a very honest person and I have to say after owning this FTDX 1200 I think it is a superb receiver by far. I don't care what Sherwood reviews are. I base by what I can hear and comparing radios side by side which is what I've done. All the features work very well except for the Noise Blanker in my opinion, but its still better than others. The DNR features is just "awesome" and use it often. On CW mode it's been quite enjoyable.

In a nut shell I feel it's worth the cost new, or used for any general operator. Pick one up and enjoy.

73!
N2RRA

W6RMC Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2016 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Significant Improvement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for something new to replace my aging TS-2000 and the FTDX1200 looked interesting. So, I went to HRO in Oakland and did a side-by-side test using the same antenna and same signals.

The Yaesu won hands down on receive.

But it isn't a "Shack in a box" like the 2000. I want a radio that does a few things really well, not one that does a lot of things "ok".

I'm just working through the manual and the feature set is incredible.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2016 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Ver well equipped  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had the radio for a short time but so far I am very impressed. TFT screen is very detailed and crisp. Roofing filters that work, yes even the 3KHz filter. Great DSP filtering in all modes. You can actually dial the bandwidth down to 50 or 100Hz in CW or digital with no filter ringing whatsoever. Try doing that with an FT-2000.

One thing I would like to see updated in a firmware release. Right now you can adjust different power output levels per mode, very nice. If I want to run the amp on RTTY, I don't have to turn the power down. It would be nice to see this done with the monitor level. I set it at about 35 for SSB, but this is way too loud for CW or digital modes. It would be nice if you could set this per mode as well.

My FTDX-1200 is fitted with the DVS-6 and FFT-1 board. Even so the panadapter is not real time and is really too small to be of any use. But I have added a PAT50 board to tap the IF and can view it all on my widescreen 25" monitor.

Getting great reports of TX audio with my $40 Koss SB40 headset.

Very pleased with the radio.

N4SGJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 15, 2016 21:20 Send this review to a friend
FTdx-1200 will not power on.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After owning my FT-DX1200 for 5 months I have been very pleased, that was until I was testing the trial version of Ham Radio Deluxe with it.
I had shut down my radio by my normal shut down procedure of first turning off the radio, then the power supply and last HDR on my computer, the night before my problems started.
The next night when I turned on my radio it would not come on. I contacted Yaesu tech support, they said for me to cycle my power supply. I did this and my radio came on. Later when I was ready to shut down for the night again, after turning off my radio, I tried to get it to come on again. It would not come on. I tried to recycle the power supply again and the radio failed to come on.
I sent my radio to Yaesu for repair, it has been gone for nearly a month now.
This same problem occurred with the FT950s and maybe other early Yaesu radios. I hope Yaesu will fix my radio and this will not be an ongoing problem as I really do like my radio's features and do not want get another brand.

DL7ALM Rating: 4/5 Nov 7, 2016 00:20 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio -but sound muted :-(  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After using my FT-DX 1200 for a couple of months in working DX an contesting I am very satisfied with this radio. A good buy for small money...

But I noticed that my audio is muted using the built-in speaker. Everything is fine with my headphones plugged in.

Jumping through the MODEs doesn't bring back my audio. Any suggestions what helps? Does YAESU already know the problem and have a way to solve it?

HB3YPG Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2016 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Very Good transceiver, Très bon émetteur-récepteur  Time owned: more than 12 months
From my part the Yeasu FTDX-1200 is for the price 1'200 euros one best actually in the market. Good filter, the power give 100W