Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | KE6CVH - 600ohm G5RV(12awg open wire) Help

Reviews Summary for KE6CVH - 600ohm G5RV(12awg open wire)
KE6CVH - 600ohm G5RV(12awg open wire) Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $28 + s&h
Description: "A true open 12guage wire with spreaders G5RV 10-80 or 10-40 meters. UHF or PL-259 connector at base with cover. Budwig glass fiber filled end insulators. Rugged spreaders. No balun required. "
More info: http://my.cybersoup.com/ke6cvh/

You can write your own review of the KE6CVH - 600ohm G5RV(12awg open wire).

W4GGX Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2008 19:26 Send this review to a friend
+ 10-20 dB gain in reception!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine from Mike over 5 years ago. Unfortunately, due to moves, and area restrictions, wasn't able to get it up until 2 weeks ago. MAN, I hate to think about all the contacts I have missed due to (as real estate agents say) location, location, location!
Now nestled here in the Shenandoah Valley, with a mountain on either side of me, signals coming in have all been 10-20 dB higher than on my 4-BTV vertical. All in all, I cannot wait till Mike gets back into the CONUS, just so that I can thank him personally for his superbly made, highly efficient, and (to me) PRICELESS antenna.
If you ever come across one at a hamfest, and can verify it is one of his hand built antennas, GRAB IT! You will not be sorry.

WA2MGB Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2002 23:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna.. sadly no longer made!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked up one of Mike's dipoles and the workmanship was superb. It was surpassed only by its' ability to hear and transmit far better than any vertical or G5RV I've ever owned. I now use it as my main antenna. Handles legal limit, and nice noise free reception. Unfortunately, Mike is no longer making antennas due to the fact he has been transferred by Uncle Sam to Europe. So, if you have one, and are happy, guard it with your life.....

KA6SGT Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2001 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Turned my trees into a powerful antenna system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't how Mike does it! All that top-notch material and assembly into such an inexpensive package. This is, by far, the best antenna deal anywhere. I was starting to build a 600 ohm G5RV myself, but found that Mike was selling his for a fraction of what my materials would have cost. Also, the materials used in the KE6CVH 600ohm/G5RV are superior to anything I could get my hands on. So I decided to buy it. I've been using this antenna in an inverted vee shape up a 70' pine tree and fed with a 50' section of RG-8U to a tuner in the shack. Over the past two months, I've participated in numerous contests with the KE6CVH 600ohm/G5RV switched against my HB 2-element beam up 50'. With the bulk of my operating being QRP, I found the showdown quite revealing. In many situations I found that using the beam required many attempts at breaking a pile-up (not unusual for QRP). Switching over to the KE6CVH 600ohm/G5RV, I was able to get through on the first call. Working the recent California QSO Party (QRP - SSB & CW), the KE6CVH 600ohm/G5RV proved to be a great main antenna system not only for it's performance, but also it's versatility. During band and mode changes, I was able to continue operating without drastic setting changes to the tuner. Rarely, did the SWR go above 2.1:1. One night I switched to 160 Meters and had to make some pretty fancy adjustments to get the SWR below 2:1, but I figured that was normal. Long story short - this is a GREAT antenna that costs next to nothing.

N4HAJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2001 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Best wire antenna I've ever used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Out of the box and in the air in less than an hour! SWR was terrible at first. After talking to Mike, I checked my antenna tuner and found corrouded contacts in the band switch selector. After cleaning the tuner, the antenna came to life! Out performs my HF vertical and all wire dipoles I've ever used. The quality and workmanship are excellent. For the price, buy TWO and have one for a spare, they're great!

KB9DB Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2001 22:24 Send this review to a friend
Very Versatile Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello Mike,

Hung the 600 ohm G5RV today and MAN that thing works great! I got excellent reports today and the receive is much louder than my 40 meter dipole...
It tunes 10 - 80 with SWR less than 1.6:1 using my Swan Tuner. I was working a station today only 100 miles away on 40 meters. He gave me an S8 - S9 barefoot and 30 over 9 with a Kilowatt! I prefer the 12 ga. wire and sturdy spreaders, a TRUE ladder line feeder, to the twin-lead type. Your G5RV is built very well...I'm very pleased with the antenna!

Thanks,

Scott (KB9DB)

WA2ZOU Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2001 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just wanted to give you a quick update since I got my antenna. I have it in a slight vee configuration about 20 feet off the ground. From El Paso, TX, using a Kenwood TS-140S and a MFJ antenna tuner I have worked (with about 75 watts) Russia, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Eastern and Western Europe, Alaska, Hawaii, and the SOUTH POLE 3 times! I am having a blast, thanks for helping me get back on HF!

Bob, WA2ZOU