Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-252 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-252
Yaesu FT-252 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $135
Description: VHF FM TRANSCEIVER
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=E6F1C8F13621F53BE4BEC2CFBA13EE5B&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-252.

N3KQE Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2016 07:06 Send this review to a friend
It is what it is  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a cheap single band starter portable, it's not bad. The battery is not suited for emcomm or public service, since there is no way to change it. I won mine at a hamfest (I wouldn't own it otherwise) and am using it as a loaner to get a newly licensed scout on the air. For that purpose, it's well suited. I had it programmed with 37 memories using the keypad in under a half an hour without looking at the manual. Yaesu has kept the key sequence so consistent that, once you learn on one of their radios, you can pretty well fly blind on any of them. It's definitely better built than the Chinese stuff and, since my FT-60 is over 10 years old now, I expect this one to hold up pretty well to handling by a 14 year old scout. I would be a little leery of using one for anything involving emcomm or public safety due to the shortcomings with the battery. Those applications rely on being able to recover from a dead battery quickly in the field. For day to day use by a scout (who can borrow something better when he works public service anyway) its a nice, simple radio. As was mentioned before, it is easily mistaken for an FRS radio, but that just means you need to keep an eye on it.

KJ7FP Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2016 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Great basic HT for beginner hams  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this for my girlfriend when she got her technician license, and it's perfect -- she basically uses it for talking to me and the other local hams and various repeaters, and doesn't need or want a lot of fancy functions. We don't have cell service in much of the areas around our community. It's durable and cheap enough to drop in the snow or carry around out in the rain or dirt without worrying about it. Seems to work just as well as my fancier Yeasu HT's for basic communication (with a longer antenna, stock antenna is like any rubber ducky... ). I also have a number of Boafeng HT's and they do a lot more for less cost, but don't look like they'll hold up as well when used as a daily throw it in the backpack/car/gardening bucket/etc radio. My only complaint is that adjusting volume is not an easy knob, which if a really loud station suddenly comes through, can be a pain to go through two steps to reduce the volume. Other than that, the controls are pretty straightforward and easy to use. For $75 for an outdoor rated radio that works well, I'd say it's well worth it.

G6IYD Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2015 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Great little HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is what it is. A no-frills, no add-ons, apart from an optional charging cradle and dc lead, great 2mtr handheld. Build quality is excellent, and it feels good in the hand. The buttons are simple to operate, and programming manually is easy to understand without having to refer to the manual every time you need to change the CTCSS tone etc.

Yaesu went back-to-basics with this HT, and it does everything I need. It may not have other options such as an external speaker mic, but for the price, you can't complain. It does the job, and as a bonus it can be powered from an external dc source, such as the optional auto dc-dc lead. I do use other HT's such as Baofeng and Icom, but the FT-252 tends to be my choice for keeping in touch on local repeaters when walking the dogs etc.

N8PMG Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2015 17:16 Send this review to a friend
A solid basic radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It seems like most of the complaints are about features. If someone buys one knowing the limitations, they really have no reason to lower the rating if it performs well. If they didn't look at the specs, they should keep quiet. I own several Yaesu radios and about the same number of Chinese units. The Yaesu radios win hands down. The 252 is a solid basic radio.

KF2AX Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2015 01:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent & Simple   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning several HT's over the years which I forgot how to program after not doing it for a few months, I was in search of simplicity. I really like this radio for the simple & logical menus, ease of programming and straightforward operation. The build quality is excellent and I really like the fact that there are very few accessories to purchase. There is no jack for a speakermic so that is not an option, there is a cradle charger but it is not a rapid charger so that's a matter of choice. A cigarette lighter plug is available if you need. I bought an extra battery and anyone who complains about having to plug it in (like a cordless phone battery) is splitting hairs. The battery is very small and easily pocketable if you need a spare. Yaesu has done something similar with the FT450 HF Rig where practically everything is already included and the options list is very sparse. Great job Yaesu. For $75.00 this is an absolute bargain and an upgrade in quality if all you ever used was a Baefong or Wouxon product.

WN6F Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2014 02:00 Send this review to a friend
Definitely not a toy!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Despite having other handhelds, I got this on one a lark, and within two days picked up the 257 uhf version as a mate.

My needs today are not as extensive as they were, and this Yaesu model is a perfect fit for light-medium duty use, so the lack of headphone / microphone jacks, and lack of quick hot-swappable battery packs is not a problem.

It shares the same large display as it's more conventional brothers, and has the same easy to use menu system. It can be loud if you want it to be.

While the large keys resemble an FRS radio, they are much more logical in operation, assisted by the simplified one-button direct access to the menu system. No problem if you have big fingers or are wearing gloves.

In fact, the keyboard is so easy to use, and the rig so lighweight, that you can operate and program the radio in one hand, while holding the manual in the other. To top it off, you may never have to actually use the rotatable knob. They could have left it off if they had really wanted to cut corners, but they didn't.

The lithium battery, while not as big as I'd like, stays plenty charged if you take advantage of opportunity-charging, rather than doing entire deep-discharge cycles with it. So If I plan to be out longer than expected, during my lunch hour I top it off, or whenever I get a chance, when my operations go long. The drop-in charging cradle and mobile dc-adapter make it easy to do. I also don't need suspenders to keep my pants up with it. I also apply a little power-management to it, and take advantage of the power-saving features.

The case has grippy surfaces all around, and has an ergonomic fit for your hand with rounded edges, yet still be able to stand on end.

While it may not fit everybody's idea of a perfect radio, it fits my needs well, and I actually have FUN using it. Not so with my other more serious radios that need sharp fingernails and a magnifying glass to operate. To each his own I suppose, but at this price you really can't go wrong.

N3KQE Rating: 1/5 Oct 19, 2014 20:35 Send this review to a friend
A cheap toy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pretty much the only thing this radio has going for it is the IP5 rating. The battery is fairly well worthless, being inside the radio and connected with a cable. With a 5 hour charge time and no way to swap out battery with AA cells, that means that when the battery goes dead, you have a paperweight. The lack of an earphone jack means that you can't use it in a high noise environment without having to crank up the volume (it does have enough audio drive to really annoy the agencies you're supporting) and lose friends at your assigned site pretty fast. The lack of a keypad means that programming on the fly is tedious at best. It's even styled more like a FRS radio than a piece of amateur gear, which makes me worry all the more about someone mistaking it for a licence free toy. Definitely not worth the price.

WE9K Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2014 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Decent rig.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only owned this 5 watt HT for a few days, and so far I am pleased with it's performance. I bought this radio so I could keep up with traffic on the local repeaters at home, without being tied to the shack. I didn't buy it with emergency use in mind, and I don't participate in amateur radio public service events. So the relatively short battery life isn't a problem. The only annoyance with this rig, for me, is that the rotary dial defaults to frequency/memory channel change, rather than volume control, which requires a button press to activate. At the current price point of $74.95, I can live with that annoyance

KD7AWG Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2014 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Basic HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Revised Review FT 252

Memory was not storing information properly. Yaesu instructions are not clear on the following memory “issues.”

The memory issue was “solved” by using VFO mode and entering all the parameters (frequency, offset, power, CTCSS “on” and CTCSS frequency) and THEN writing that data to a memory channel.

Menus are very similar to my other Yaesu 2m/70cm products. They are not any easier, despite the bare bones controls on the HT.

Beware of the battery connector. Mine fell out! Look carefully at the locator tabs and push it in all the way! The battery cover is tight because of the rubber water seal - normal. Construction is good. Controls have a good feel. Display is readable and big.

I can see this HT showing its mettle at events and disaster where a club would keep a supply of them to loan out.

If you just want to talk and that’s it, get this HT!

With the Yaesu rebate and the great service and price from Gigaparts, you can’t beat this HT with a stick!

WD9HOT Rating: 0/5 Feb 8, 2014 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Wasted Money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took delivery but could not get the battery pin adapter to mate with the radio, Threw the damned thing in the garbage