Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-252 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-252
Yaesu FT-252 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $135
Description: VHF FM TRANSCEIVER
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=E6F1C8F13621F53BE4BEC2CFBA13EE5B&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-252.

W8OWL Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2013 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Simple is GOOD  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Reading reviews before buying this radio, I learned a lot about what this HT "does not do". But I got it for what it does-do for me. I wanted simple, small and durable. It allows me to hit all the necessary repeaters and I am quite pleased with it. I'm older with some memory problems, so I wanted a reliable HT with only a few buttons to remember - This is it!!
(No Nifty Manual needed - hi)

WA2LNC Rating: 3/5 Aug 22, 2013 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Poor Battery Life  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like this radio for its size, performance, and price, but I have noticed that the battery seems to die down very quickly. It also appears to drain even when the radio is off. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2013 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Simple HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The FT-252 is great

All the features needed from a VHF single band handheld.

I do not need a earphone jack, if i did i would just buy something that has one, not slate this for not having one.

IP rated, Li-ion powered 5w handheld at this price is a breath of fresh air.

No more woochung sets that are cheap and poorly made, this one is cheap and quality made.

For this price it fits my needs perfectly

N5UNG Rating: 1/5 Jul 1, 2013 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio with One Drawback  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This appears to be a great little radio, however the lack of any earphone jack is a showstopper for me. Add the jack and my money is on the way!

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2013 12:59 Send this review to a friend
What Ham Radio Needed !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't BEGIN to imagine how ineffective most of us would be in an emergency if we had to manually reprogram our complex HTs... That's why RTSystems is doing so well selling cables and software! So.... along comes the Yaesu FT-252 -- OK.. single band, 2 meters, but that's where most of us hang out. NINE buttons with not more than one additional function each, not 16 buttons with 3 functions each (Baeofung, Icom, Kenwood and most others). I opened the box, scanned the manual to see how to set the tone freq and save them to memory, and away we go. Anyone with 3 minutes to spare could figure this radio out. PERFECT in an emergency, and a convenient lock-our button to keep us on freq in an emergency. Let's face it, APRS, GPS, etc are fun if you want to play with them, or have time to memorize the complex command structure, but if you want a HIGH QUALITY 2 meter radio that YOU can program quickly on vacation or in an emergency without pricey software and extra cables - the darned thing is FINALLY here. For less than $120, it is a stone-cold deal. I'm buying another one for my ham sister. I've been in ham radio for 43 years, and I have a BUNCH of other HTs that are hard to program on the fly, but this one is a keeper ! Finally !

N0GPS Rating: 2/5 Jun 15, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
What were they thinking ?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was so excited to see that Yaesu added a inexpensive two meter handheld with lithium ion battery technology !. I waited for the radio to appear at my local candy store because I was chomping at the bit to buy it. I do APRS which this radio would be perfect for. When the radios arrived in the store I was extremely disappointed to find that there was NO speaker/mic jack for these radio's so that means no APRS for me. oddly enough there is a dc jack to power the radio from 12 volts ?...
The brochure states that " they are packed with popular and valuable features demanded by amateur radio operators around the world" what about the speaker/mic Yaesu ???.
The radios the chinese are making have lithium ion batterys and they are dual band ! and they have a speaker/mic !!!! all for around $50.00. I really wanted to give Yaesu my love ( money ) but not this time !!!