Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet CP-5M Mobile Mount Help

Reviews Summary for Comet CP-5M Mobile Mount
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: Universal adjustable lip mount with SO-239 antenna connection, 16 ft. coax cable and PL-259 connector.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=9&ChildID=14

You can write your own review of the Comet CP-5M Mobile Mount.

KK9H Rating: 4/5 Jun 20, 2013 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Nice mount, but ground needs attention  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these at Dayton to use on my 2011 Ford Escape's rear door. I already had a Comet EM-5M on one side and this was to go on the other side for a second antenna. It is a nicely made mount and was easily adjustable to get my antenna straight up and down. When checking it out I realized that the ground of the coax shield did not show a ground connection with the car body. With both mounts I made sure that the undersides made contact with the rear door metal by carefully scraping away a little of the paint where they made contact. The EM-5M showed a good ground connection from day one, so why didn't this one? Upon investigation I noticed that the large wing nut that you tighten to orient your antenna was made out of a solid plastic. Where that section of the mount mates with the other half is also plastic, so the ground portion of the antenna's SO-239 connector does not get a connection to the car body. My remedy was to run a small wire from under the SO-239 to one of the side bolts used to orient your antenna on the lower section of the mount. This completes the circuit to the car body for the antenna. Now I have a solid circuit between the car ground and the outer part of the PL-259 that connects to the radio. I might also add that the antenna SWR is also what it should be and that it works very well. This is a good, well made mount, but I rate it a 4 due to this ground connection issue.