Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-D700A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-D700A
Kenwood TM-D700A Reviews: 99 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $780 USD
Description: Kenwood remote head data radio for VHF/UHF
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5017&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-D700A.

W5PFG Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2011 10:14 Send this review to a friend
I'll never sell it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my TM-D700A off of a fellow ham and he's regretted selling it to me ever since. I've been running the same radio either mobile or portable for the last 8 years. The last few months, I have been using it exclusively portable for satellite, APRS, and FM repeater portable. It has an excellent receiver. The on-board TNC works fabulously. Best of all, programming it with the free software is a breeze. Kenwood got this radio right and left little room for improvement. I now own a TM-D710 and while it has some enhancements, I stand behind my 700 model as a workhorse. I highly recommend if you are looking for a dual band mobile that you consider this unit.

W9TAM Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2011 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Great dual-bander with APRS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio on clearance from GigaParts in May '08. Yes, it's a bit complicated to set up initially, but for me it has truly been "set it and forget it." I use Link700 for programming, and changes to stored frequencies have been a breeze.

Things I particularly like:
- 5 memories for APRS status texts
- Position display quickly shows my coordinates (way easier than trying to punch it up on my Garmin)
- Mic and GPS cables connect to the main unit, not the control head. I definitely prefer this, since I stash the control head in a compartment or take it with me whenever I get out of the car. One cable unplugged and I'm done.

Minor gripes:
- Fan gets noisy after several months (but easily replaceable)
- Software mod needed to change TX output from default 5W-10W-50W (would prefer 5-10-25-50 or 10-25-50)
- Control head replacements not available (just be nice to the one you have!)
- 220MHz TX would be nice (but not a dealbreaker for me)

For three years, this radio has stood up to cold winters and hot summers in my car without any problems. Eventually, I'll probably replace this with a D710A and put the D700A in the shack - but I intend to keep using this radio in the car for the foreseeable future.

KB5YNF Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2011 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio in my truck for several years and it has been a great radio. I installed it under the driver's seat and use the remote head to control it. I just recently bought a better mobile mount for the head; it's been laying in my console for several years now because I never really mounted it well when I first installed it.

Anyway, the radio is great. I've had many radios over the years and this is the best mobile I've used so far. I just used it tonight for cross-band repeat for the first time and it was easy to setup and worked perfectly.

As others have said, the radio is easy to use and program. I've mostly used Kenwoods over the years and I've always found them all easy to use and program. So, this one is par for the course.

I won't repeat all the great reviews that have already been posted. I just wanted to post my review to add to the average.

N1MIW Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2010 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only owned this radio a short time (bought used), and have had a blast with it from the first minute I applied power! It's easy to set up and operate on APRS, plus it works just like any other dual-band radio - there's just the addition of a built-in TNC. I bought it strictly for the APRS function and so far I have no regrets.

If I was to recommend a new user some tips on the radio, it would be summed up in one word - "Google". This radio has been around for so long, there's tons of info out here on the web. That's what I did while waiting for the D700 to arrive, and it sure helped me get it on the air fast! It also let me know what potential problems I could expect - and this radio appears to be flawless. I've learned that you need to take some reviews here with a grain of salt - the problems noted here on eHam do not appear on my rig, and most are probably operator error anyways.

If you've been looking to get started with APRS, this radio is a great place to begin. The prices have come down to a reasonable amount - due to the expanded market of APRS-capable transceivers maybe? If I get an opportunity to buy another one, I sure would in a heartbeat!

I guess if I would have to list something I don't like about the radio, it would be this... You need to get used to the MENU layout. It's just "different" from what I'm used to. However, Kenwood has the programming software FOR FREE on their website. I played with that before the radio arrived & loading the rig was a breeze! But just like any radio, whether it's $300 or $3,000, there's some sort of learning curve that goes along with it. My wish list? 220MHz TX capability. But the manufacturers have finally started to listen to us on that one.

Bottom line - go out and find one in good shape - you won't be disappointed. If they were junk, I doubt Kenwood would've kept them on the market as long as they did!

NP4ZB Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2010 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Great dual band radio.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this great dual band radio from ebay.
I have had used it for APRS and Packet. It works great no problems at all. It's perfect in every way.

NG9R Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2010 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned 2 D700's for a few years, one on the truck and the other in the shack, and I can't fault them. The only real problem I have had is with the fans. Both units fans got noisy after a year or so. One of them is really getting to the point of replacing. I have used both extensively and the one in the shack has been tied to a DX Spider node for over a year and a half and I have with no down time with it. The real advantage of these radios is the true dual band receivers (UHF/VHF, UFH/UHF and VHF/VHF), great for emergency and public service work. The one in the truck replaced an Alinco dual-bander and the difference was night and day. They are quite handy radios to use and fairly intuitive for the beginner.

EI7GEB Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2009 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Dual Band Rig - APRS  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi,
I have the 700E that is similar but that does not give me the RX features of the 700A but I cannot fault this rig.
I have owned it for 2 years secondhand and it is in mobile daily use with no problems. This radio has mulitiple features so please read the operating manual as it is a joy to use when you understand it.
Always run on 10W with excellents reports received.
APRS is in a class of it own with the kenwoods - Hook up a GPS and your away.
This is a great feature.I won't sell mine for sure.I did have to buy a DTMF mike but that wasn't a big issue.
If you buy one I don't think you will be disapointed.

KC0LRP Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2009 11:45 Send this review to a friend
great dual band  Time owned: more than 12 months
After reading a few reviews I have thought that most of the scores that a less that a 4 are from people that are whiners because they expect the radio to be prefect right out of the box. Well it anti so these are mass produced and not tested on a bench. Mine has not giving me any problems in 2 an a half years that I've had it run in car or base it just works fine. I haven't tried aprs or packet but I do think that it will work just fine.

N0AWN Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2008 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio - but fussy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two D700A's. On has been trouble free and works quite well. The other went deaf on the A (VHF) side. Transmits OK, just can't receive. Seems this is a recurrent problem as I've heard numerious reports of similiar troubles, including one other reported here.

Display is easy to read in bright sunlight and the controls are easy to work - good human engineering. Free programming software is intuitive and works well.

Aside from the one failure, and the fact I had to hack the "special features" menus in order to turn down the VHF xmit power so I could use my amp, the radio has performed well in the severe weather environment of MN.

MM30 Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2008 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Kenwood TM-D700 is in a class of its own. So far there is nothing I dislike about the radio, free programming software and my homebrew serial cable work great and make it easy to program. If you have the means and want a little more out of a dual band radio this is for you. Would purchase another one. A solid 5.