Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Anytone AT5888UV Help

Reviews Summary for Anytone AT5888UV
Anytone AT5888UV Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $299.99
Description: Dual Band 2 meter/440 radio with extended receive
More info: http://www.qxdz.cn/en/index.asp

You can write your own review of the Anytone AT5888UV.

AD0KX Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2014 21:58 Send this review to a friend
It works great for me so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been able to hit repeterters in other communtties that are 50 to 100 milies away with a dipole hook up to it in my room using it as a base station with a 12V Batteririe and 10A Charger and was able to communcate with anther ham lives 6.5 miles away using 10W simplex I do not know how it works on 440 it work great on two Meters I would like to try it out on cross band repeat. I have had it only less then a week.

N4FOP Rating: 2/5 Aug 7, 2014 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Died After 5 Months  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Except for a few little quirks, I have been very satisfied with the radio purchased through Amazon.com in March. However, the RX audio suddenly died today. It appears something internally has failed. RX Audio is now a bare whisper. Fortunately, Amazon is giving a full refund based on the one year warranty. The Yaesu FT-8800r is basically the radio which the Chinese copied to make the Anytone. With the excellent factory rebate in place, I will replace the Anytone with a Yaesu.

N0DZQ Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2014 16:39 Send this review to a friend
What-da-ya-want?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Yes, its cheap. Yes, there are some selectivity issues. And yes, you can tell the Chinese need to catch up with the big boys. But for a mobile rig it is just fine.

I am not one to install costly equipment into a vehicle when it is subjected to extreme environmental issues. Then there is the risk of a kleptomaniac walking away with the thing. I'll keep the frontline equipment at home!

For what it is it works just fine. The receiver is good, the transmitter if fine, the audio is better then some, and it can be cross banded. Hell, people would have given their eyeteeth for something like this a few years back. Even with issues!

For those who give poor reviews on a product knowing it is not up to par with Icom, Kenwood, Yeasu, etc... etc... may want to consider researching before purchasing future items. The internet is a wonderful thing.

WB2RXF Rating: 2/5 May 2, 2014 22:42 Send this review to a friend
Its alright for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off the radio's connected to a diamond X30 with a new 100 foot run of LMR400 at about 115 feet up from street level on a 6 story building. The radio has a nice layout and all, its easy to use, the manuals not really needed, if your use to programming basics, it reminds me of my old Yaesu 8000r back in 2000. I still haven't heard a peep on the 223mhz receive portion, even though I have the major repeaters programed, just some occasional intermod gets thru. The 70cm band portion seems to be almost filter-less, anything and everything -aka intermod gets thru, even with enc/dec on when on memory, but strange enough, when in VFO Mode you can see the carriers but no noise gets thru, only the wanted, said stations. I suppose if the diamond X30 had any-type of dbd gain on 2 meters, I'd have the same issue, although with the 0.8 dbd gain the antenna has, I do get intermod, luckily I kept and attached my trusty 2 meter DCI-Bandpass filter & it makes all the difference. I suppose it's good enough for rural areas, and using via mobile / repeater work. But using it as a base station 1 mile from lower manhattan in brooklyn, leaves a lot to be desired.

WA3LWR Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2014 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Decent but  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As mentioned by others, it's layout is similar to the Yaesu FT7900, dual band radio, except no external squelch control. That is a moderate problem since it seems very susceptible to interference. Hopefully, turning the electronic squelch up to a higher level will help reduce this problem. Audio and sensitivity are good. Transmit audio is fine.
So for the price, it is a pretty good deal.

KD0QEB Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2014 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Manual sucks!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio about 3 weeks ago and so far found it adequate for a mobile radio in my truck. That is once I figured out how to program it. My biggest complaint towards this radio isn't so much the radio itself but the disgustingly poor manual that comes with it and the lack luster software. I finally stumbled my way through using the software and manually programing it. I have only one complaint towards the radio itself and that is the display is toooooooo small and while the background is bright the lettering is way too dim. If anyone knows a way to brighten the lettering only I'd like to know for these old eyes. Remember it's not a Yaesu, Icom, or a Kenwood . . . so you get what you pay for!

KI4RGN Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2014 22:16 Send this review to a friend
Can not beat this radio for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio from ebay from Lentinicomm on 01/16/2014

I have not found any issues with this radio as of yet. Now keep in mind, this is NOT a Yaesu radio. I own a Yaesu 8900 and just like any radio you buy there is always a learning curve to be fully comfortable with all of the functions. That being said if you want to nit pick about the AT-5888UV and try to compare it to the 8800 then buy an 8800. Just keep in mind that for the amount you will pay for the 8800 you can purchase 2 of the AT-5888UV's.

This radio is feature packed. After spending several days testing it the first thing I noticed was from the DTMF mic. It offers a very full and clear sound quality that my Yaesu couldn't even come close to touching with the stock mic. This mic makes it possible to completely control the radio from it and even see the transmit and receive status of the radio. And for those noisy environments it has a speaker built into it as well that can be enabled or disabled through the menu functions on the radio. The mic is well build, has a good weight and feel when holding it. When I compare it to my Yaesu counterpart the Anytone mic looks and feel more like a high end commercial grade mic.

This radio comes complete with separation kit, mounting bracket, programming cable, and software. And all of this for 293.00.

I purchased the radio because I wanted an affordable cross band repeat option in the ham shack. The radio more then fits that bill. The cross band feature on it is AMAZING. It also does not appear to have the lockup or noise burst problems my Yeasu 8900 has when coming out of cross band. These are known issues with the Yeasu.

I have not used the programming software that came with it but instead used chirp. I did this from a Linux OS and from a Window 7 install . I did not run into a problem with either. Some people have claimed there is an issue with finding drivers. I did not have this issue and it worked right out of the box. You do have to select the correct COM Port but if you are going to complain about that then really you are just looking for cons and have not given the radio a fair shot.

Another nice feature that this radio offers that none of my Yaesu's offer is a squelch crash eliminator. So long as the repeater sites is equipped with this feature the radio can let the repeater know it has been unkeyed by sending a reversed squelch tone.

These are just a few of the feature's this radio offers. I could go on and on but I highly recommend this radio. For these reason I have rated this radio a 5 out of 5 and really anyone who gave this radio an extremely low score or a zero review did not fairly rate this radio and did not take the time to learn or use the radio.

KD4CWB Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2014 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for the price! & can't be beat anywhere!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered one of these radios after hearing one on the air that a friend purchased on eBay. You'll be hard pressed to find a better deal for $293.95. The eBay seller (lentinicomm) is fantastic to deal with! My radio arrived two days after ordering (Connecticut to Tennessee). Price included a full Separation Kit, USB Programming Cable and Software. The Open Source programming software “Chirp” works well with this radio (get Chirp daily updates).

I'll focusing mostly on features unique to this radio and not often found on most radios in its class. I noticed another review here gave the lowest rating possible, which seems entirely unwarranted. The issue that was described seems to match what is called a “Birdie” (a false or phantom signal). A common issue in most modern radios as they have small but powerful microprocessors inside that can occasionally emit unwanted signals. This radio, unlike most has a great feature called “CPU Clock Frequency Change” found on Menu #06 [CLKSFT]. It allows you to shift the CPU frequency to help eliminate, reduce or at least move any “Birdies” that may interfere with the receiver.

Receive sensitivity is above average, great for weak signal work. Like most radios made today, the selectivity is average. I'm currently testing it as a base radio and I'm only a few miles away from a very RF active mountain top with many repeaters and broadcasters, and haven't had any problems. The [MUTE] feature on Menu #25 works well but has a slight speaker pop sound when both bands are receiving, not a big deal. The speaker is nice, loud and clear. CTCSS & DCS Decode is very fast. The manual claims AM Receive on any frequency, common for listening to VHF & UHF Aircraft bands, I haven't tested this yet, I will post updates later.

Transmitter works well. It makes the proper RF power output (+/-5%) depending on supply voltage, just like most radios in its class with 4 Power Levels, VHF: (High=50W) (Mid1=20W) (Mid2=10W) (Low=5W) & UHF: (High=40W) (Mid1=25W) (Mid2=10W) (Low=5W). The radio is 2013 Narrow band compliant (2.5KHz deviation), very important to anyone who might need if for use on commercial and/or public safety frequencies. There is a small and relatively quiet cooling fan on the rear of the rig that helps keep it cool, especially for those long transmissions. The transmit Audio is well equalized and sounds very good, not overdriven, not tin-penny and not muffled. Both CTCSS & DCS encode at the proper levels. Another rare feature (undocumented in the manual), usually available only on more costly commercial or public safety radios and is known by several terms like “Squelch Tail Elimination“, Anti Squelch Crash”, Reverse Burst, etc. When using repeaters equipped with compatible decoders (most commercially made machines), that require a CTCSS or DCS signal to access, this radio sends the proper signal that causes the repeater to mute the repeat audio before the signal drops. A simple description of how it works... the radio continues to transmit for a few milliseconds after you release the PTT button, while the radio sends the proper signal to the repeater that causes the squelch mute to engage before the signal ends. This gives the repeater a very smooth and quiet sound and makes prolonged use very comfortable as you won't hear any squelch noise, except on rare occasions. Most repeaters can achieve a similar muting sound via an audio delay board in the repeater controller.

The Microphone has several advanced features. Back-lighting is above average and brightness can be changed through the menu along with the brightness and background color of the display. You can choose 32 levels for each of the 3 colors (Red, Blue, Green) for the display color. The microphone has 2 separate LED's clearly indicating which band your on, (A or B) and 2 multi-color LED's, Green for Received signal, Red while transmitting. The band select button is large and back-lit blue, easy to see, large PTT and UP/DOWN buttons. Of course it has a full 16 button DTMF encoder and 4 of the keys can be assigned for many functions like Power Output, Repeat/Simplex, Reverse/Input Monitor and others. IF that wasn't enough features, it also has a small speaker inside the Microphone. This is great for times you have a lot of distracting sounds in the background and you want to hear the radio. Simply activate the feature with or without the internal/external speaker being active, menu selected. The speaker in the Microphone is not very loud, but enough for most. Overall, the Microphone has a great look, good weight and feels like a professional / commercial unit.

Compander feature Menu #17 [COMP] works perfectly. Mostly used when operating in narrow band mode. It helps minimize noise and maximize the dynamic range of your voice, best used only when other stations support Companding. The words Compander / Companding is simply a linguistic blend of the words, Compressing and Expanding.

Cross Band Repeat feature is fantastic! Menu #44 [X-RPT]. The audio quality is as good as it gets. It's a good idea to set the time-out-timer, Menu #41 [TOT] to a reasonable time limit to ensure you don't overheat the rig. If your going to use this with repeaters that have long hang times and/or long conversations, consider using an additional (larger) external cooling fan. The body of the radio is the heat sink and is well designed, as the fins are facing up, which helps a great deal for proper heat dissipation.

The radio has many more features, too numerous to outline in my initial review. I will post additional updates &/or revisions soon.

If you are comparing this radio to the Yaesu FT-8800 or FT-8900 Dual Band mobile radio, it may look similar, especially the display. Most everything else is very different, and most importantly, the price is about $150 less.

KD8VMR Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2013 10:25 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is great for the price. Cross band repeat works great. If you are looking for a good dual bander, look no further. I have not had any problems that others have listed here. I am planning on buying another one for the home shack. Clear audio, great audio reports. Able to hit repeaters 50+ miles away with no problems, I live in northern wv, no flat area at all. Works great here. Definitely a great buy.

OE3JTB Rating: 0/5 Oct 5, 2013 14:36 Send this review to a friend
only for deaf people  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The receiver generates an annoing tone, if squelsh is on and no signal.
Below S3 you cannot understand your partner
after 2 Weeks returned.
See youtube so you will see my experences