Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Anytone AT5888UV Help

Reviews Summary for Anytone AT5888UV
Anytone AT5888UV Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $299.99
Description: Dual Band 2 meter/440 radio with extended receive

You can write your own review of the Anytone AT5888UV.

IZ3ZVO Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2016 23:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent given the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Paid for it 165 (about 185 $) as an unsold stock with 1 year warranty with the Italian mark "Intek HR-2040", it is a good transceiver. Works fine, easy to use, cheap. Very slow scanning over memories, some minor issues with commands - for example I can not change by the low button the power at the Home channel and similar - but transmission is excellent and reception is reasonably good with perfect audio. I have never heard intermods but as I installed it in the car, when I listen to week signals I hear also the sparks electrical noise.
By paying it only 165 I was lucky, but in the last weeks I see in e-trade website that it is sold at about 220 , and so the quality/price ratio is nevertheless very very good.
Here is the programming cable schematic for homebrewers
KD0QEB Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2016 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Needed a dual band radio for a trip across country but funds were low so I bought this little Chinese radio back in 2014. I've had it now for just a little over two years and it is still working. I recently moved it from my truck to my HAM shack to replace a Yaesu 2500m that went south on me and I'm finding the 5888 works good as a base also. I have it to connected to an Arrow Dual Band antenna and to a MJF-882 SWR/Watt meter which is showing me that the output on VHF is only 40W not the advertised 50W but on UHF it is putting out 44W as apposed to the 40W listed. It is a little "noise" though especially when it is scanning, there is a very low "click, click" sound as it is changing channels, but with my hearing I hardly notice it. Also, the right dial knob is sticky, I have to pull it back out when I press it to select that for the main band.

If you buy this and DON'T expect a Yaesu, Kenwood or Icom quality, this little radio will serve the bill.
KD8VMR Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 10:21 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just an update on this rig. I have been running it mobile for over a year now. Worls great still. I would definately recomend this rig.
WA3LWR Rating: 3/5 Jan 12, 2015 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Decent..but.......  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the radio about three months ago and installed it in our extra vehicle. The receiver is good, but the selectivity is a problem and it picks up all sorts of electrical crud. A friend who also bought one reports the same problem. Keep turning up the squelch, which is electrical, and it has helped but the problem remains. Transmit is fine.
So, for an extra rig, it is ok.
AD0KX Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2014 21:58 Send this review to a friend
It works great for me so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been able to hit repeterters in other communtties that are 50 to 100 milies away with a dipole hook up to it in my room using it as a base station with a 12V Batteririe and 10A Charger and was able to communcate with anther ham lives 6.5 miles away using 10W simplex I do not know how it works on 440 it work great on two Meters I would like to try it out on cross band repeat. I have had it only less then a week.
N4FOP Rating: 2/5 Aug 7, 2014 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Died After 5 Months  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Except for a few little quirks, I have been very satisfied with the radio purchased through in March. However, the RX audio suddenly died today. It appears something internally has failed. RX Audio is now a bare whisper. Fortunately, Amazon is giving a full refund based on the one year warranty. The Yaesu FT-8800r is basically the radio which the Chinese copied to make the Anytone. With the excellent factory rebate in place, I will replace the Anytone with a Yaesu.
N0DZQ Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2014 16:39 Send this review to a friend
What-da-ya-want?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Yes, its cheap. Yes, there are some selectivity issues. And yes, you can tell the Chinese need to catch up with the big boys. But for a mobile rig it is just fine.

I am not one to install costly equipment into a vehicle when it is subjected to extreme environmental issues. Then there is the risk of a kleptomaniac walking away with the thing. I'll keep the frontline equipment at home!

For what it is it works just fine. The receiver is good, the transmitter if fine, the audio is better then some, and it can be cross banded. Hell, people would have given their eyeteeth for something like this a few years back. Even with issues!

For those who give poor reviews on a product knowing it is not up to par with Icom, Kenwood, Yeasu, etc... etc... may want to consider researching before purchasing future items. The internet is a wonderful thing.
WB2RXF Rating: 2/5 May 2, 2014 22:42 Send this review to a friend
Its alright for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off the radio's connected to a diamond X30 with a new 100 foot run of LMR400 at about 115 feet up from street level on a 6 story building. The radio has a nice layout and all, its easy to use, the manuals not really needed, if your use to programming basics, it reminds me of my old Yaesu 8000r back in 2000. I still haven't heard a peep on the 223mhz receive portion, even though I have the major repeaters programed, just some occasional intermod gets thru. The 70cm band portion seems to be almost filter-less, anything and everything -aka intermod gets thru, even with enc/dec on when on memory, but strange enough, when in VFO Mode you can see the carriers but no noise gets thru, only the wanted, said stations. I suppose if the diamond X30 had any-type of dbd gain on 2 meters, I'd have the same issue, although with the 0.8 dbd gain the antenna has, I do get intermod, luckily I kept and attached my trusty 2 meter DCI-Bandpass filter & it makes all the difference. I suppose it's good enough for rural areas, and using via mobile / repeater work. But using it as a base station 1 mile from lower manhattan in brooklyn, leaves a lot to be desired.
WA3LWR Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2014 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Decent but  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As mentioned by others, it's layout is similar to the Yaesu FT7900, dual band radio, except no external squelch control. That is a moderate problem since it seems very susceptible to interference. Hopefully, turning the electronic squelch up to a higher level will help reduce this problem. Audio and sensitivity are good. Transmit audio is fine.
So for the price, it is a pretty good deal.
KD0QEB Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2014 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Manual sucks!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio about 3 weeks ago and so far found it adequate for a mobile radio in my truck. That is once I figured out how to program it. My biggest complaint towards this radio isn't so much the radio itself but the disgustingly poor manual that comes with it and the lack luster software. I finally stumbled my way through using the software and manually programing it. I have only one complaint towards the radio itself and that is the display is toooooooo small and while the background is bright the lettering is way too dim. If anyone knows a way to brighten the lettering only I'd like to know for these old eyes. Remember it's not a Yaesu, Icom, or a Kenwood . . . so you get what you pay for!