Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Puxing PX-UV973 dual-band HT with crossband repeater Help

Reviews Summary for Puxing PX-UV973 dual-band HT with crossband repeater
Puxing PX-UV973 dual-band HT with crossband repeater Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$105
Description: UHF/VHF handheld transceiver with true dual band receive, cross-band repeater function and full duplex operation.
More info: http://www.puxing973.com

You can write your own review of the Puxing PX-UV973 dual-band HT with crossband repeater.

W8EDV Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own 8 of the Chinese brands of HT's these include 3 Baofeng's , 2 Wouxuns, 2 Puxing PX UV 973's and 1 FDS 880 . They are good radios in my opinion however I find that I prefer using the Puxing PX UV 973's the most. I've put aftermarket antenna's on all of them, and I have tried them all side by side with the same gain antennas and the Puxing came out on top with a stronger receiver than any of the others in side by side distant repeater test. I did not just test one day, as conditions often change with weather, so I did the test many times in the same location indoors at the kitchen table where I can access many local VHF, and UHF repeaters. The Puxing has a noticeable stronger receiver and it's also quieter. To add to this test I included my Kenwood TH 6A Tri Band HT which is only 6 months old and cost a lot more than any of the others. Sadly the Kenwood did not perform nearly as well as the Puxing, no where near it. In fact I had to move the Kenwood around on the table before it would even hear a few of the distant repeaters. I attribute this to the Kenwood being 12 year old technology on the receiver components,it works well, and I have no use for all the extras inside of it such as the AM, USB, LSB, CW, etc etc, all that is something I never even use, I bought it for VHF, and UHF repeater use only.

Back to the Puxing, I found the cross band feature very useful for me at times because there is a repeater that requires that I stand next to my dining room window and hold the HT up a bit in the air to get into it full quieting, or go outdoors to use it . I solved this by putting a battery eliminator on one Puxing, and placed it in that dining room window, with a small switching power supply, and set it up for one way cross banding so I could be fully legal with station ID . I set it to transmit on the repeaters input, and I use my other Puxing to hear that repeater because I can hear it very well anywhere in the house so I only need to crossband one way and not in full duplex mode which also does not heat up the radio, it works very well for me. So that feature is one I use a lot if I am lazy and don't feel like sitting in the Radio room using the mobile base radios.

The battery on the Puxing was only 1200 Mah, so I purchased an aftermarket 1800 Mah battery and it will run the radio all day long with ease and power to spare. I also like the volume knob although some people think it's to big, but it's easy to use especially one handed. The other plus that many or most Chinese HT's don't have other than Wouxun, is the Encoder knob to change frequency or memory channels, most use UP and DOWN arrows to scroll through the MENU and change the channels, I prefer and encoder knob which Puxing has.

Another nice feature is the dual volume control, I can set each band at whatever audio level I like so when two repeaters are in progress, I can set the volume on each one as I like. This is nice, my Kenwood is the the only other HT I own that has dual volume controls. The Kenwood of course is built much stronger or quality wise than the Chinese HT's and it's noticeable to a degree but for the price difference as most guys have said if the Chinese HT falls and breaks you won't cry over it because you didn't spend $400 on it. So overall I like the entire set of HT's I have, as I said they all work, and they work very well, however my favorite for performance is the Puxing PX UV 973. You don't hear much about the Puxing, all I hear of is the Baofeng's and how great they are, but if you put a Puxing UV 973 next to your Baofeng you'll see what I'm talking about. My Puxing radios were $80 with free shipping, and they have both functioned beautifully for the past 6 months without any problems at all. I think for the money you can't beat them. The Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood and Alinco's might be built a little stronger, quality wise, but quality construction isn't getting me into that distant repeater, and I've only put $80 into the Puxing it doesnt break the bank.

I'm hoping they can introduce a tri band HT' with 220 mhz on it such as the Kenwood has , that would awesome , since I use 2 meter, 220, and 440 repeaters locally here. Im using a Wouxun dual band with 220/2 meters, and a Baofeng UV 82X with 2 meter/220 dual band and they work well but would be great with all 3 bands on them. I guess thats why I use the Kenwood when I'm out an about rather than tote 2 HT's with me.

So from me the Puxing gets 5 stars, it's a great performer, easy on battery, easy to program even from the keyboard, a well lit keyboard as well at night, easy to see, fits the hand very well, and comfortable to use, the audio is amazingly strong and clear. I couldn't ask for a better performer for $80 . Try one if you have the chance, you wont regret it. I don't go along with the negative reviews, they must have a bad unit, or they don't know how to use them and program them.

73's to all from W8EDV

VE3JSJ Rating: 3/5 Feb 21, 2014 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Mediocre  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A cheap little radio. If you want something more reliable, pay the extra $$ !

I gave this radio a "3" instead of a "2" because it is cheap. If a Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood/Alinco was like the PX-UV973, I'd give it a "1"

Cons:

1. Battery level indicator unreliable

2. Cradle Charger unreliable. First charge worked fine - radio lasted 15 hours on receive only. Subsequent charges only giving an hour or two - despite the green light on the charger indicating 'full'

3. "Locks" all by itself even when deliberately unlocked. Turning the radio OFF and ON again unlocks it - for a few minutes, then it locks again.

4. Annoyingly loud "squelch-tail"

PROS
1. Audio quality good on receive and transmit

2. CrossBand repeat works nicely

3. Relatively easy to program and access features such as CTCSS

4. Probably a good deal if you just want to use it as a cheap, low-power, crossband repeater

KC6SKM Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2014 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Value   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like most of the inexpensive radios from China the front end is not as good as it could be but this is a lot better that the Baofeng I have. It is true dual receive and the cross band although no really useful works well and is very easy to set and unset. It is easier to program from the keyboard than most from china. The 1200 mah battery is stock but the 1600 mah for the 888 works just fine. for $80.00 that I paid for it it is a good deal. My only complaint so far is that the programing software has no provision to print out what you programed. Also when using software you must enter both Xmit & Receive frequencies be cause it is part 90 accepted there are not standard offsets in the software but there are when you manually program from key board. So far I am very happy with the radio. I now own the Baofeng a Wouxon and now this one I rated it between the Wouxon and the Baofeng overall.
Great Value for a true dual receive dual band radio.

KA9JYO Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2014 12:48 Send this review to a friend
good value and quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first review was more about another dealer, I returned it and since then I purchased one from a
reputable dealer: Palm Express (pei-network.com).
I rated excellent, the dealer and the radio. The radio functions like is supposed to, tx power up to
specs, and all the features work. Keep the power low when on crossband repeat, it warms up as per manufacturer recommendation. Has a real dual band
rx and tx. I would recommend to any Ham.

KH6HOU Rating: 4/5 Jan 21, 2014 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Good Performance for the Money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Puxing PX-UV973 I purchased arrived with all accessories and worked fine when set up. The dealer I bought from (PEI) charged the battery and checked the transmitter output power before shipment.

Receiver: Very good. Performs about the same as my VX7R, but not quite as well as the Wouxun KG-UV6D. The receiver has a quirk that is a little annoying, especially if it is quiet in the room, it has a double-squelch tail when a carrier drops, making a rather loud click. The receiver audio is loud and is typical of HT audio, that is a bit tinny, but fully understandable. The squelch works better than the Baofeng in that weak signals are readable without holding down the monitor button. This radio has a true dual receiver, so you can listen to two stations simultaneously, unlike the dual watch on the Baofeng and Wouxun. Seems to be a little more sensitive to intermod than either the Baofeng or Wouxun, but then my VX7R is also more sensitive to intermod due to the wide band receiver.

Transmitter: The transmit audio quality is quite adequate. Power output is about 5W VHF, 4W UHF.
Antenna: Performs almost identically to the Nagoya NA-701 which I purchased for my Baofeng UV-5R radios. The body of the radio holds the male connector, so the Baofeng-compatible antennas work fine with this radio. The MFJ-1717 antenna outperforms the Nagoya NA-771 by a significant margin and is available with a BNC, SMA-M, and SMA-F connector.

Charger: Shows power on and charging status. Turns green when fully charged. When inserting the radio into the charger, you need to push the radio to the back of the charger to align the slots on the battery to the contacts in the charger. Otherwise, it won't charge.

Belt Clip: Works well and has good retention, requiring a conscious effort to remove it from the belt. No wrist strap is included with the radio. I know many people don't use them, but I do.

FCC Cert: The FCC ID is printed on the label on the radio, but it doesn't indicate level of cert (Part 97, Part 95, Part 90, etc.).

Battery: The battery clips on with two slide latches, one on each side. Make sure to push the battery firmly into to radio so it snaps in securely. The included battery is 1200mAh which is significantly smaller than the 1800mAh battery on the Baofeng or the 1700mAh battery on the Wouxun. A 1600mAh battery and AAA battery case are available aftermarket.

Compare that to the 1150mAh on the VX7R FNB-80Li battery and 700mAh on the IC-W32A IC-BP173 and 1200mAh is not bad!

Operation:

1. Programming. The Puxing software works well enough, but does not allow importing files from other software, so you need to enter all the information by hand the first time, making it easy to make mistakes. There are no cut/copy options nor any way to move channels up or down in memory. If you want to insert a channel, you need to reenter everything above it. PEI offers software from RT Systems. Based on my previous experience with RT Systems software, it should work much better than the free software from Puxing.
I had a problem with the software running on my i7 Win 7 64 bit laptop, but it ran fine on my Core 2 Duo XP Pro 32 bit laptop. These laptops are used to program various radios from Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, Baofeng, and Wouxun. The cable used for the Puxing is the same as for the Baofeng and the Wouxun (and Kenwood, but I have no Kenwood HTs).

2. Scanning. Slower than the Wouxun, but about the same speed as the Baofeng, which means slow, about 3-4 channels per second.

3. Intermod. Seems to have more problems with intermod and birdies than the Baofeng or Wouxun, or at least it seems that way when scanning the same repeaters on all three radios. The Puxing stops on more birdies than either of the other two. Of course, this could be simply a matter of which frequencies you have programmed in and your local radio spectrum usage. Interestingly, the birdies on the three radios mostly land on the same frequencies, indicating that the radios use similar IFs, oscillators, filters, etc.

4. Controls. Volume control is a bit larger than the Wouxun which makes it easier to accidentally change the volume if the radio brushes up against clothing, etc. The channel knob is easy to operate. One thing nice is that the microphone connector is on the opposite side of the radio from the volume knob, so it's unlikely to change the volume control. Under the PTT are two controls. The top one (blacK) is a monitor switch if held in. The bottom one (orange) appears to do the same thing, but is reprogrammable using the Puxing software. I'll have to experiment.

5. Crossband repeat. Amazing for a radio of this low cost. I have the same functionality on my VX-7R and IC-W32A, but they cost several times as much as this radio. Set up one frequency (or pair) on the A channel and the other on the B channel and reception on A will transmit on B and vice versa.

6. Keyboard. Standard telephone layout (zero on the bottom). Menu system is pretty easy to figure out if you have any experience with computerized radios. I turned off the keyboard beep as it was annoying.

7. Comfort. This radio is light-weight and fits easily in my hand. Controls are easy to find without looking.

8. FM radio. Pressing the Menu key, then the lower (orange) key on the side of the radio turns on the FM radio.

9. Reliability and longevity? Too soon to tell.

I have radios that I've been using for over 15-20 years that still work fine (with replacement of microphones, speakers, batteries, antennas, etc.). How well will the Baofeng, Wouxun, and Puxing hold up? No idea, but since the Chinese are manufacturing chips, iPhones, tablets, etc. of good quality, the potential is there, it's a matter of whether they are willing to take the time and money to make their products reliable.

In the mean time, I'm having fun trying out the new radios. Having a radio that's light weight and inexpensive means it gets used more and taken more places. My Icom and Yaesu radios come out
to play from time to time, but mostly it's my Chinese radios that I use on a daily basis.

Do I miss the broadband receive capabilities of my VX7R? Not as much as I expected. Having a couple of cheap radios around means that I listen (and talk) more often and I'm meeting more people that way.

I'll see how I feel about the Puxing after using it for a few months, but I think it'll be one of my favorites like the Wouxun KG-UV6D.

KB5ELV Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2014 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good little radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First, to the people having trouble with the chargers. My guess is that you weren't getting the batteries in correctly. The grooves in the battery have to line up with the thingies in the charger. If you put the battery in and feel no resistance, you didn't properly seat the battery or battery/radio combo into the charger. I find it easiest to insert at a slight angle at the very back of the charger slot. You'll feel definite resistance as you push the battery in.

Now to the actual radio. I own a Wouxun KG-UVD1P, a Baofeng UV5R, and this one. I gave my Kenwood TH-F6A to a radio less friend. I like all three for various reasons, but the Puxing is my current favorite. As a blind operator, it has a couple of really nice features, such as menus that (mostly) speak as you scroll through them. Not just the top level menus, but many of the actual settings as well. All the menus that don't speak and just say "Set" are at the end, so you can count those to find the one you want. Like the Baofeng and Wouxun, you can directly set most parameters directly from the number pad. Like the Baofeng, CTCSS tones can be set by directly entering their frequency. And, like the Baofeng, the menu timeout is nice and long. The keypad is also one that makes a lot of sense.

Down sides: Also like the Baofeng and Wouxun, the programming software is mostly horrible with a screen reader. Easier for me to program frequencies by hand. However, good news, I can set up many of the options, if not the channel data, with the computer software.

Also, I have to employ a couple of workarounds to determine where I am in a couple places, or more correctly, the state of some settings. It would, for instance, be useful to have different beep tones for the A or B VFO. First or second line. Whatever. Since they're both the same tone, I don't always know which one I'm currently controlling. The workaround is to turn off the dual receive, which always puts you back on the top line setting. You can tell if dual receive is off because the pause in pressing the A/B button is a little bit longer with it on than with it off. Also, it helps to turn one of them to a different volume level than the other.

Also, if I forget whether I'm in the mode to set a CTCSS or DCS tone, or have tones disabled, the * key cycles between the three. If I press the * key followed by a 1, an error tone means that I'm in all tones off, and I can act accordingly. If I get some other thing, I just try again. Extra key presses, but it works anyway and I am able to get the radio to a known state.

Receive audio is good and loud. Transmit audio is also pretty good, with the notable exception that there is a high pitched whine in the background. You'll hear it if you're looking for it.

I also wish it came with a bigger battery; it comes with a 1200MA/H one. A 1600 or perhaps 1800 one is available from Chinese eBay sellers. I'd like to see it ship with the larger battery as a matter of course.

K4AX Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2013 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Good performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this for about a month now and I think I'm ready to give a review at this point.

This is a big step up from previous Chinese made/branded HT's that I've tried such as older Puxings, and Baofengs. True dual band receive, yes, you can receive two stations at the same time, on the same band or on both uhf and vhf. Cross band repeat works either both ways, repeating both frequencies back and forth, or if you don't program a tx freq on one channel it will only go one way.
This feature works but I've not really had a chance to play with it other than very brief testing. I do know that if done on high power and set to repeat both ways you're going to burn it up as it will be constantly be transmitting.

Receiver seems to work well. I'd guess this is a SDR based chip design like other dual bands in this sort of price range and by the way the audio sounds. Like the Baofeng radios, there is just a tinge of white noise on all signals. You really have to be looking for it to hear it.

Recently I took the Puxing PX-UV973 on a mountain top trip and used it and another HT to hit some distant repeaters from home about 100 miles away. On the same mountain top there is a NOAA weather radio station blasting out non stop at 300 watts out. The Baofeng I had with me was about useless on VHF ham frequencies with strong desense and intermod from the NOAA station. The Puxing was not affected at all in the ham bands. I've also noticed similar traits with it at home when I have it on but using another HT to get into a repeater.
It has a solid receiver, I've not had any issue with pager intermod in town or any sort of weird quirkyness. I'd say it has a very good receiver and would be interesting in seeing it measured.
Transmit is "OK" It's not muffled and has a lot of highs. One friend that's heard it does not like it, others have said nothing. So it doesn't stand out and it's not terrible, but it could be better. It certainly isn't like previous Puxing models that I've tried.

Like most rigs that double as commercial radio these days it has ani call options, split tones, ect ect that you may not ever need. Standard commercial male connector. Comes with a desktop charger. This radio has the belt clip on the battery that can easily be removed, or if you get a spare you can leave one battery without the clip so you can keep it slim and switch it back and forth. You can vary volume on both vfo's but you have to vary it in the menu. Three display colors can be chosen from, but unlike the Baofeng UV5r you can't pick different colors for different states of the rig such as rx/tx or standby.

This would be a great starter radio, or just a good radio to have if you need true dual receive, which would be handy if you work sats or have a couple active repeaters in town.

LA2YUA Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2013 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Nice cross band  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this unit for a day now and have had time to play with it a bit, my primary use case for it was as a portable cross band repeater. I won't really comment on the radio as a primary HT, but I will say the menus are responsive (unlike some other brands), the RX audio seems good. It uses a SMA-male plug on the radio like Baofengs, making finding a good antenna hard without using an adapter. Internal microphone isn't great, but not super awful either I guess.

The radio is as easy to program as any chinese made radio, it came with a manual that had a few typos but otherwise was pretty well written. Curiously the box says PX-UV973 on the top and PX-UV9R on the side, I used the software for the PX-UV9R and it worked fine except the VFO was always wiped when uploading.
I think the Norwegian comma/point layout makes it convert 151,4 to 151.0 when uploaded. Repeater shift is similarly problematic, when uploaded to the radio it's set to 0, clearly a problem with the software not handling the system locale.

Despite this, I had my radio repeating within 15 minutes of opening the box.

Battery life is hard to estimate, the manual gives no indication, I tried to measure the current when transmitting through the charging cradle but that didn't work. What is clear is that the 1.2 Ah battery is not enough to support long term operation, and I've ordered the 12V adapter pack so I can run it off a SLA battery or directly off a power supply. Of note is also that when the device is cradled and the charger has completed, any audio received or transmitted will have a nasty noise signal from the charger switching in and out rapidly, so it's absolutely necessary to have the 12V pack for this kind of use.

Audio quality is acceptable, but it adds a nice amount of background noise and what sounds like whining from the internal CPU clock. The pre-emphasis is too harsh and it adds a lot of treble to the audio. There's an option for a compander that seems to add even more treble.

It has support for ANI and DTMF kill-tones which is useful if it's going to be operated remotely, if it starts causing problems, just enter the kill code and it stops transmitting. There's a TX-stun that I've enabled which lets you use a second code to reenable it. It also supports some actions if you key in the radios ID.
The only useful mode I found is the call mode, which in normal mode will make it ring, and in x-band mode will make it output a single call tone on the output frequency (i.e. the one you didn't use to call it on), then it holds the output keyed for about 10 seconds and returns to normal. It's not actually all that useful though.

VFO A supports DTMF decoding, if you use a second radio to transmit into VFO A and enter some keys, it will show up on the display. This doesn't work on VFO B. As a consequence, you can only use the remote kill codes from one side of the repeater.
You can enter DTMF codes via the keypad before transmitting on the radio, which is a nice feature.

ANI by defaults transmits a nasty sounding MSK signal, for my repeater setup I set the designated "output" frequency (Which links into a real repeater) to transmit a three digit ANI burst in DTMF at the end of transmissions. The purpose here is to identify my repeater station, in case we have noise problems (which happens from time to time) it will be easy to tell if my system is relaying noise or not. Plus everyone knows more beeps = cooler radios.
I couldn't get roger beeps to work, it has options for a whopping 10 different types, but none of them actually did anything...

It's possible to set different ANI codes for BOT and EOT, combined with the TX Stun/Unstun feature this has the potential for some funky stuff, unfortunately I only have one of these radios.

I really wish they would just make this about as big as the old Icom bricks and put a huge battery + comprehensive DTMF remote control features, they'd have a killer product.

KD8DVR Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2013 12:57 Send this review to a friend
True dual band radio with crossband repeater. Great deal.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Puxing PX-UV973 Review

Built-in FM radio
MSK ANI
Alphanumeric channel name capability
Front panel programmable
PC programmable (required for some advanced functions)
Custom power-on message capability.
Two line LCD display
Wide/Narrow band capability.
Backlit keypad.

Introduction:

This radio has an easy to use menu system that allows programming of basic functions.
Frequency programming, CTCSS/DCS programming, scan step, power level and memory channel
assignment can be programmed. Channels can be added or deleted from the scan function via
the front panel also. The only functions that cannot be programmed from the front panel are the ANI
functions and the manual lockout functions to prevent users from changing the configuration.
My radio did not come with a manual. The manual was provided by the manufacturer and is generally
fairly easy to follow.

The selective calling functions must be programmed from a computer, using the optional
software and cable. The cable is the same used on other chinese manufactured radios, such
as Wouxun. (Kenwood compatible) This radio has Minimum Shift Keying (MSK) and DTMF
selective calling and Automatic Number Identification
(ANI) It uses an MSK data burst in alphanumeric format for an ANI, if selected. All ANI
and selective calling identifiers are displayed on the LCD display of the radio.
This radio has narrow band capability, as well as a full narrow band receive filter.
Most chinese radios do not have a true narrow band receive. This radio does not have a compander
which would improve fidelity on narrow band.

My observations:

Programming: The Puxing brand radio is easier to program than any other Chinese brand
of HT. The front panel allows the abovementioned abilities, as well
as a few more not covered. I especially want to note that it is a big plus to allow setting scan
lockouts from the front panel. Accessing the programming menu can be done with a single press of the
"MENU" button. From there you can either press another of the indicated keys as shortcuts or use
the volume control to scroll through menu options. From there, options can be programmed. Unlike the
PX-888K, the functions are printed on the keys, instead of the case of the radio. This allows sight of the
functions via the lighted keypad. also, there is less risk of the lettering rubbing off.

Use of the computer software is generally easy, even though it is the "typical Chinese radio" type of software.
You should have some experience with some of the
more advanced modes, such as MSK and DTMF signalling. There appears to be no issues with the famous
"Prolific driver problem", although I am using an older driver. I have not tested with the latest Prolific drivers.

I give an above average on programming.

Operation:

Radio operation is easy and straightforward. Selection of the upper or lower channel
display can be done on one keypress. This radio has “real” dual receive.

This radio has FM broadcast reception. You can select whether or not you want a received two way radio signal to break in.

The radio can be set to use both display lines for a single channel. You could use one line to display the channel name,
and the other line the frequency and such. When scanning, however, it reverts back to use of both lines of the display.
I wonder why they did that.

The cross band repeater works great. you program one frequency in the upper display, and another in the lower display.
If a signal is received on one of these frequencies, the signal is simultaneously retransmitted on the other frequency!
One frequency must be VHF and the other UHF. I am unsure if the radio is programmed to disallow same band
repeating. The manual cautions against it... so be careful if you set it up wrong.

The radio has a true dual receiver. You can select the volume levels via the menus and software to differentiate
which VFO is louder than the other.

I didn't test the full duplex option, as I didn't have a satellite pass handy to test. Also, there are no linked VHF/UHF
repeaters in my area.

Audio Quality:

Audio on receive is strong and clear with no distortion. Volume in all cases can be loud enough
in most cases without distortion. BUT, if a signal is not full quieting, it seems the noise in the signal
is enhanced if the received signal is very weak. You could receive a faint signal, but only hear noise.
This was maddeningly annoying when on vacation, I would listen to some folks on 146.520 simplex.

The BIG QUESTION: Is the transmit audio muffled?

My experience indicates it is NOT! BUT... I really had good experiences with my green model
PX-888K. The 973 was a little less "bassy" sounding than the 888K. I did "echo tests" with both
radios for comparison, and the 888k was fine, as I reported in my review of that radio. The 973 did
sound better, and the highs were more prominent. On air reports across the board indicated no
difficulties whatsoever. My voice tends to come over the air pretty good though.

Transmit range seems on par with other handheld radios I have used. The supplied antenna is
sufficient for normal use.

The radio is supplied with a 1200 mAh battery. Battery life is average; but nothing special.
With intense high power operation, battery life is a bit shorter than I would like. After extended
use, neither the battery, nor the radio got excessively warm, even at high duty cycle.

What is really cool is the selective calling system and the ANI. With simple MSK ANI, you can
have a name come across the display of a receiving radio. with the selective calling system,
you can call specific radios, via programmed codes, and can set up a "dialing directory" in
your radio to call specific radios. The called radio can be set to "ring back" to acknowlege the
call. You can also enable/disable the radio via a tone sent from another radio. These functions
could be useful for search and rescue teams, or emergency services. In a commercial setting, this
could identify specific departments.

This radio does have menu or software configurable 2.5 kHz frequency steps.

Summary:

What I liked:
The custom message on power on can display my call sign when I turn it on. Functions are easily selected,
and programming is a snap. The ANI and selective calling is really neat and fully
implemented. The radio accesses all the repeaters any other radio I have used can access. It
sounds good on both transmit and receive. While not yet Part 90 commercial approved, there is
a provision to lock out the front panel programming as required for commercial use.
This along with full narrow band compliance, it ought to receive approval soon. Naturally the true
dual receiver and the crossband repeater functions make this radio in my opinion. I now
have a ton of HTs and would not have bought this one, had it not have these features.

What I did not like: The battery life could be better; but this can be fixed by getting a more
powerful battery. The scan speed is terribly slow! If the dual watch function is disabled and
the radio operating in single channel mode the scan speed does improve a but; but is still slow.
This radio does not have a compander, so narrow band fidelity may be lacking. This radio does
include a scrambler, which is really more or less something that would be used far less than a compander.
The annoying amplification of noise is not a deal breaker by any means; but is a real pain at times.

All in all, a very good radio. I am very glad I made my purchase.

If anyone needs any info I neglected to include here, please let me know.

I recommend this radio.