Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | The Radiosmith Help

Reviews Summary for The Radiosmith
The Radiosmith Reviews: 30 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Expert repairs and restoration for all brands (Collins, Drake, Icom, Kenwood, Ten-Tec, Yaesu, and Others) of vintage and modern ham radio equipment including linear amplifiers, station accessories, OEM power supplies and Astron power supplies by a degreed Electrical Engineer who has been a licensed ham (20 WPM Extra Class) for over 38 years. For more information, contact The Radiosmith via email at: radiosmith@verizon.net

You can write your own review of the The Radiosmith.

KA4NGW Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2016 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Found Steve on Ebay. He first overhaul my Paragon II and it works great. So I thought I would send Steve my Triton IV analog for Dial string and alignment. When I opened the return box, I thought Steve sent back the wrong one. It looks brand new and of course, it works as it should.
Steve keeps you up to date and warranty his work.
Thank you Radiosmith.

W9KX Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2016 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Very highly recommended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Last month while making arrangements with Ten-Tec to have some work done on my Omni 6 Opt 3, they closed their doors! I started to search for another option. Shortly thereafter, I saw the posting by Bruce, N9WKE on eham under Product Review. Thanks to Bruce, I was able to get my Omni 6 Opt 3 repaired by Steve, The Radiosmith. Iím back on the air with a just-like-new Omni.
The bottom line is, if you need work to be done on your Ten-TecÖ this is the place to go! His services were very timely and his price very reasonable!
Dean, W9KX

N9WKE Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2016 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Very Highly recommended!  Time owned: months
I have a Corsair II that was needing some attention and since the new TenTec wasn't setup to accept new repair work yet I looked around for another place I could get my Corsair II worked on. I came across 'The Radiosmith' on eBay. I did a little checking and decided to try him out.

The Radiosmith's name is Steve Yudell, he has a degree in electrical engineering, a complete repair shop/lab and has been an Extra class ham for 43+ years. He charges $50 plus shipping charges for the initial evaluation and $45/hour for any repair work needing to be done. I found his rates to be extremely reasonable.

After emailing Steve a couple questions, I sent my Corsair II to him for an evaluation. I can tell you Steve's communication throughout the whole process was excellent. His replies to my questions were timely, he let me know when my radio arrived, the results of the evaluation, what was going on while repairs were being made as well as the return shipping info.

The Radiosmith gave my rig a thorough going through. The attenuator didn't work, the VFO was off significantly, the display was acting up and the dial skirt wasn't sitting properly on the shaft. He repaired all of these problems, checked all the circuit boards and connections, cleaned all the switches, did a full realignment and did a complete QC on all bands and modes before sending it back to me. One thing I especially appreciated is once a radio goes on his bench, it's the only radio he works on until the job is complete. It took around a week to send my radio to Steve, get the repair work done and get it back.

After getting the radio back and getting on the air all I can say is... WOW!

This is not the same radio I sent to Steve. It's like getting a new radio and is a joy to use again.

If you have a TenTec radio in need of repair, I very highly recommend Steve Yudell, The Radiosmith, for the job.

Bruce, N9WKE

K6OAT Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2015 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Knowledgeable and reliable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Steve did a great job getting my old Ten Tec Corsair II back on the air. He was able to diagnose the issues quickly and provide options. He is not only very knowledgable about these older radios but also how they are used, which helps you to make good decisions about what is most important to repair, and how. He has been happy to provide plenty of good advice.

KF7PSQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2015 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Great customer service and technical support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent The Radiosmith two transceivers and a scanner to work on. Steve kept me up to date on the progress of my equipment and actually called on the phone when the diagnostics revealed that the issues I was having would be expensive to repair, allowing me to decide how much I was willing to spend. In the long run I ended up repairing two items and foregoing the third as it would have cost more to replace it than a new transceiver would cost. Steve provided excellent service, and great communications. His prices were very reasonable. I would not hesitate to recommend his services to anyone. It has been between 0-3 months since he worked on my equipment and I am quite satisfied.

KA4NGW Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2015 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Service  Time owned: months
I normally don't write a review before using the product, But Steve, (the Radiosmith) completed refurbishing my Ten Tec Paragon II. He led me all the way with emails on the status and the repairs. Even though the radio is on its way back, due to his Professionalism to include 90 day warranty he deserves a thumbs up. If needed I will use him again.
Thank you Steve.

W7ACO Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2015 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent Steve a Yaesu FT7900R which was silent. I spent 47 years in computerized telephone systems. I was responsible for troubleshooting to component level and repairing motherboards, circuit boards up to and including surface mount components. I retired 6 years ago partly due to neuropathy in my hands.

Steve's instincts were right on the mark. I explained the symptoms and he guessed at the component which proved to be correct. The radio was repaired the very day the parts arrived. Steve then checked out the rest of the radio and shipped it back to me. 10 days from the day I shipped until the day I received it back working perfectly. Steve is a pleasure to do business with, honest, informative, excellent communications, and intelligent. What more could you ask for.

Thanks Steve you are the best.

KJ6MC Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2015 20:38 Send this review to a friend
My highest recommendation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My prized Drake R8 suffered from a mysterious breakdown. Steve patiently was able to troubleshoot the exact components and quickly affected the repair. Thatís just the beginning of the story.

What really stood out to me was Steve's sixth sense.

Something wasn't quite right with the radio, and while I had got used to the radio's idiosyncrasies, Steve would not let go and kept doggedly putting the radio through its paces. Sure enough, after testing in various environments (the problem was temperature sensitive) there were some weak electrolytics in the audio chain, hidden from view.

Steve diagnosed and quickly fixed the problem before letting it out of the shop.

He is the only person I know who cares more about my radio than I do (and that is saying a lot).

Competent, expert repair at a fair price. If only my auto mechanic were this exacting and proficient, it would be a perfect world.

Radiosmith has earned my highest recommendation.

HARDEDGE Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2014 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Heaven on Earth  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Swan 350 came back working as good as new, Once again a reward was required. Hope Steve liked the broken Swan 400 and 410 VFO. ;-)

HARDEDGE Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2014 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Great service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just got back what was a "silver screwdriver" FT-747sx (QRP version from Japan)and the workmanship was flawless. This is the fifth radio Steve has repaired for me and to show my gratitude I'm sending a Swan 250 and Swan 350 for his once over as a reward. :-)Best all-around repair service I've found.