Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | 73 Amateur Radio Today Help

Reviews Summary for 73 Amateur Radio Today
73 Amateur Radio Today Reviews: 110 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $25.00 Yearly
Description: General Ham Radio News, Reviews and Construction Articles
More info: http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/

You can write your own review of the 73 Amateur Radio Today.

W9CW Rating: 3/5 Mar 10, 2012 14:09 Send this review to a friend
OK Magazine for the '70s and '80s  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's amazing that 73 magazine still receives reviews here on eHam, considering it ceased publication some time ago...and, here I sit writing another! It was an OK magazine back in the '70s and early '80s, but went down hill once Wayne started to constantly look for UFOs over his shoulder, and discussed Silver Colloid treatments. What effectively killed the magazine, as is generally always the case with the majority of magazines which cease publication regardless of market niche, are the lack of display advertising sales revenue and decreasing subscriptions. Even a rich man can only pour his own money down a hole for so long, and that was the case with 73.

N6AFV Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2011 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Interesting, fun, wacky  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used to read 73 many years ago, but never subscribed. I also had a lot of interest in the computer magazines that Wayne published. In general, I thought they were good value for the money. Wayne definitely had some strong opinions about some things, but back then, I didn't really care too much - I just liked the articles. I wish I had kept some of the old issues - they'd be fun to read now.

KH6DC Rating: 0/5 Oct 8, 2010 01:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Until...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got a free copy along with Nuts and Volts back in the 90's to review. A few monthss after the fress issue of 73 arrived, I got a bill for which I never answered any correspondence or subscription card for 73. They just bought my name from someone and sent the magazine then subsequent bill for a year's subscription. I was going to subscribe until I started getting nasty letters then told them I didn't subscribe and cancel subsequent issues. I then got a letter from their lawyer trying to collect the subscription. My lawer set them straight, glad they're out of business.

W6ZKH Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2010 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Was equal to 'Ham Radio' mag: miss both  Time owned: more than 12 months
73 and Ham Radio magazines were my favorite Ham mags in the 60-80's until their demise. I wrote several articles for 73 back in the 70-80's (as K6YDW; wish I had kept copies now), and between both of those mags, Ham Radio had good technical and projects to explore. I mean how many Crowbar circuits can QST put in each issue? Granted, back in "the old days" (sorry) the majority of hams still built some of their equipment; whereas nowadays, due to the complex of the equipment, we've mostly become appliance operators. Anyway, wish both 73 and Ham Radio magazines were still around..

XE1UFO Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2010 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Began very good, but Wayne killed it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
It was one of my favorite ham magazines. It was my first ham subscription. The technical and construction articles were meant for those of us who are not electronics engineers by trade. The antenna specials were awesome.
But like many have said, the editorials began taking on a poisonous taste, probably (in my opinion) around the time of Wayne's nasty divorce. Maybe the same poison destroyed his several magazines as destroyed his marriage. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_%28magazine%29)

When he began pontificating about Jesus Christ and a few other topics, I decided to call it quits.

K7DAA Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2010 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Mag!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't quite understand the logic some reviewers are using here, with comments like, "It was a great magazine for its time...", then giving it a 1 or 2 rating.

I variously subscribed to all of the ham magazines, and I can definitely say that the monthly arrival of 73 Magazine in my mailbox was by far the most anticipated! It had more interesting tips and construction articles than the other magazines combined, with the possible exception of Ham Radio magazine, which was my second-most favorite.

I really enjoyed 73's more laid-back editorial style. I also enjoyed the more down-to-earth style in which most of the articles were written. Heck, I was even inspired enough to get a few of my own articles published! I never thought of submitting any of them to anywhere other than 73 Magazine.

I really miss ol' Wayne's monthly editorials (many would say "rants"--I don't entirely disagree!), many of which went on for several pages in each issue. Yes, he did start going "around the corner" with his constant harping on health issues, cold fusion, and the dubiousness of the 1969 moon landing, but he certainly did, and does, have a point with his comments about hams' personal heath issues (such as smoking). He's still going strong at his advanced age, so maybe he is on to something after all!

Sincerest best wishes (73) to Wayne Green and his contributions to my ham and computer careers though has many interesting magazines, including 73 Amateur Radio Today!

Dave - K7DAA

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2009 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Nostalgic and fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
The first ham radio reading materials I was given were a '69 R.A. Handbook and a stack of old 73's from 68-70. Quite soon after that I started buying them piecemeal as a youth. Still have those original issues I was given. Fun reading. Later got to be a big glossy magazine and I probably started missing buying some issues. Never subscribed. I want not really reading it when it quit the first time, don't recall seeing any of the late issues and now it is just a collectable to me. Great mag for the time.

WB2LCW Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2008 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Magazine !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I made a smart move in 1970 and I sent Wayne fifty bucks for a life time subscription!
I got over 30 years worth!
I had in my collection issues going almost to the first in 1962! I even had a small article published in the magazine in 1968 (I still have a picture of the check)!
I think 73 had great articles throughout its run and they were running projects and articles on Digital Modes long before QST and CQ even noticed!
I really miss my monthly issues.!

I regret I had to dispose of may issues( for space reasons) but I still have many that have information and projects that I want to refer back to!

Buckmaster had scanned a archive of all the issues but they pull them ( They said it was for legal reasons).But buckmasters archives are expensive to use!

N4UMJ Rating: 2/5 Nov 7, 2008 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Subscribed for many years but left hanging  Time owned: more than 12 months
My letter requesting a refund for the remaining paid unfulfilled issues (26 issues) was unanswered & my opinion of this magazine fell to the bottom after this happened.

ARRL QST's still arrive in my mailbox faithfully though. How ironic......!

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2008 03:47 Send this review to a friend
Gave me my start in Amateur Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was twelve or thirteen I used to ride my bicycle down to the bakery for fresh hot bread. Happened to find this local electronics components supply house during one of my journeys. Venturing in one day I found they also carried a huge assortment of surplus electronics as well as 73 Magazine. Back issues could be had for $1 apiece, but the clerk would give you a deal if you bought more. I can remember digging through piles of them. I'd take as many as I could carry on my bicycle and then spend days drooling over the ads looking at all the shiny equipment with all the lights, knobs and meters wishing one day I could operate equipment like that. I was already into CB radio at the time so this was like heaven. Needless to say I read every issue front to back and back to front, including Wayne's always controversial editorials. As a young kid it didn't make much sense to me, but reading old issues now is kind of comical. The construction articles were easy to build, I could buy most of the parts right there and always enjoyed the satisfaction of something I built actually working. 73 Magazine paved my way into this great hobby.

Max