Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | 73 Amateur Radio Today Help

Reviews Summary for 73 Amateur Radio Today
73 Amateur Radio Today Reviews: 110 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $25.00 Yearly
Description: General Ham Radio News, Reviews and Construction Articles
More info: http://www.waynegreen.com/wayne/

You can write your own review of the 73 Amateur Radio Today.

KB9MWR Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2008 22:22 Send this review to a friend
I miss 73 Magazine too  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently started digging around to see if there were any reprints or back issues floating around. I loved this magazine because as mentioned it contained articles and projects that anyone could build. The true spirit of amateur radio, experimentation/self learning.

I contacted Wayne if there was any type of CD-ROM or other archive of his magazine. He said he didn't know of any source other than scanning in over 50,000 pages. Which he thought was daunting to sell maybe dozens of CDs.

However, never fear it is out there:
And from National Archive Publishing Company

It's in a less than desirable microfiche format.

N5YPJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2007 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Was good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really enjoyed 73 magazine for several years, I was not a reader the last three or four years. Wayne had an open mind about a lot of things, though I couldn't run with all of his conspiracy theories. What you did get was projects that could be built by someone with less than a PHD in Electrical Engineering. Decent articles on different subjects involving the hobby. I salute Wayne and his achievements.

KB2HSH Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2007 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Fond Memories  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is really sad that 73 has passed on. It and its stable-mate Radio Fun (my personal favorite) were very influential when I was a new Ham. It was 73 that introduced me to QRP (November 1990 issue). It was also 73 that brought the slick Ramsey Electronics ads every month. (I bought a Ramsey kit that I still use to this day because of 73). Radio Fun was even better, because it contained articles and projects that ANYONE could build. Ever try building something out of QST without a degree in Electrical Engineering? It will forever be missed by me.

VE3ES Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2007 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Great mag when it was relevant...  Time owned: more than 12 months
It was quite the magazine back in the 70s and 80s but the decline in the hobby in general nailed 73 Magazine in particular. QST is "the" Amateur Radio publication and he just couldn't compete. CQ Magazine clearly was doing an excellent job but 73 had gone down hill in the 90s. It was nice at the time, I enjoyed reading Wayne's tirades but ultimately the mag failed as it wasn't able or Wayne wasn't willing to keep it relevant. My rating of a 5 is based upon what it once was. At the end, well, let's just say that a rating of "1" was being generous.

VR2XMQ Rating: 1/5 Mar 30, 2007 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Was something eons ago, but!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Need not say more, was good a very long time ago, but!

N4JRG Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2007 01:29 Send this review to a friend
I miss 73 Magazine  Time owned: months
I subscribed to 73 magazine for over 11 years from June 1992 until the magazine went belly up in September 2003. For some reason, I was never able to allow my subscription to expire. I have been a member of ARRL since I obtained my ham ticket in 1982 and in my opinion QST is the standard for ham radio publications. However 73 (as well as it's sister publication Radio Fun) did offer a different spin form other ham rags with simple construction projects as well as an enthusiastic promotion of ham radio in general. I always read Wayne's editorials with a grain of salt but whatever you may have thought, they were entertaining reading (especially in the bathroom). This magazine was sort of like the blacksheep uncle who took you out and bought you your first beer. Despite the quirkiness and wierd conspiricy theories Wayne espoused I always looked foward to the next month's edition knowing there might be a gem hidden inside.

VE6EX Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2007 10:34 Send this review to a friend
slow to remember, quick to forget  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wow!!!
I remember 73 as a great read and have a stack of them that still rare 5's; particularly against whats playing today.
Pretty easy to call the pot black when you got the heavy shades on. Who cares about the heavy duty editorials. All the mags play that tune, who cares.
73 just never evolved and played todays tune. In the long run it still rates a 5 with me....

VA6SZ Rating: 1/5 Feb 23, 2007 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Thank goodness!  Time owned: months
Yep, I agree. 73 was a decent publication in its hey-day. But Wayne did turn into a "crack-pot", as some have said. I actually met him once and he really didn't seem that nutty.

But, thank goodness it's sk. For those of you who miss the irreverance, look no further than the usenet groups.

de Andrew VA6SZ/VA6TTT

N4VNV Rating: 2/5 Feb 23, 2007 08:23 Send this review to a friend
An Ex-Subscriber  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wayne Green kept me angry about the morse code and how EASY it is to learn. I quit smoking easier than I learned morse code. I DID learn it but it was VERY difficult for me. Also Wayne came across like he thought he was the smartest guy in the world...actually I AM! The magazine got worse each year with more ads and less content. And the articles became too repetitive in the latter years of "73's".

KG6AF Rating: 1/5 Feb 22, 2007 21:18 Send this review to a friend
A sad devolution  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in the late 60's and early 70's, this was an entertaining and occasionally daring magazine with good technical content. At the time, 73 served as an important counterpoint to the ARRL, which become sclerotic and out of touch. Had I been writing this review then, I'd have rated 73 a 4 or 5, easily.

But there's a dark vein of paranoia and crackpottery that pervades certain corners of ham radio (take a look at some of the rec.radio.amateur Usenet groups if you don't believe me), and for whatever reason, Wayne decided to mine it. Reading his later editorials--if they can be called that--was like spending time with an old friend who had gone into a serious mental decline. Sad, really.