Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Win4K3 Suite Software for the Elecraft K-Line Help

Reviews Summary for Win4K3 Suite Software for the Elecraft K-Line
Win4K3 Suite  Software for the Elecraft K-Line Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $50.00
Description: Win4K3Suite is a windows control program for the Elecraft K3 transceiver supporting all options such as the secondary receiver, antenna tuner, and others, as well as the KPA500 Amplifier, the KAT500 Antenna tuner and the P3 Panadapter. All functions are provided in an easy to use interface that easily allows control of many options hidden in the K3′s menus.
More info: http://va2fsq.com/

You can write your own review of the Win4K3 Suite Software for the Elecraft K-Line.

WT8BZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2017 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Best software for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't overstate the excellent quality of this product. Well worth the $50. I have the complete K3s line and while it is a great system, the Win4K3 software makes it even more enjoyable. I am a big fan of Elecraft's P3 panadapter, but the Win4K3 panadapter (via the LP-Pan 2) is much more versatile and enables QSY with a double mouse click. Product support is excellent as well. Once you work through some of the nuances of the program it becomes hard to operate without it. Best $50 I've ever spent on a software program.

VA3LX Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2017 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like several other reviewers, I had been a long time user of LP-Bridge, NaP3 and HDR for my K3/ LP-Pan based station and struggled with instability issues and incompatibility of LP-Bridge with newer versions of HDR. While WIN4K3 has a bit of a 'learning curve' it has solved both of these problems and offers easy access to K3 menus that is encouraging me to refine my operating skills with the K3. I am also delighted with the flexibility of adjusting the WIN4K3 spectrum scope to my preferences. Like other reviewers, my experience with the author Tom VA2FSQ's customer support has been stellar. LP-Bridge and NaP3 were certainly fantastic tools a few years ago, but now that WIN4K3 is available, it's certainly is time to move on.

K3TEE Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2017 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Terrific!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After buying the SDRplay RSP2, I decided I wanted to use it to create a panadapter capability for my KX2 when using it at home. I downloaded Win4K3 and installed without a hitch. It performed perfectly.

Using Win4K3 and the RSP2 in a panadapter setup described in one of Tom's (VA2FSQ) YouTube videos worked great. I exchanged emails with Tom about the setup and he responded quickly to all my questions and comments - even on weekends.

Tom states that future updates of Win4K3 will be free to those who purchase it - this sweetens the deal even more. (Note: some future add-ons of interest to a limited audience will require a nominal charge from what Tom tells me).

Bottomline: Great product, great support and continuing to get even better.

NG7M Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2016 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Very reliable with excellent support and K3 CAT app sharing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As a long time user of NaP3 / LP-Bridge along with an LP-PAN, I was a very tough sell at first when I downloaded the trial. Don't make the same mistake I did and knee jerk a reaction based on your first impression. I wish I would have spent more time with the trial because I walked away from Win4K3Suite at first and web back to my comfort zone with NaP3 and LP-Bridge. Let me be clear, LP-PAN is still an amazing winner and keeper, however with Win4K3Suite you have a super reliable alternative to LP-Bridge and NaP3.

This review is going to focus on the Spectrum display in Win4K3Suite and it's use of com0com for the K3 CAT interface sharing across simultaneous applications that share the K3 CAT interface data.

So first off, install the trial and spend some time with Win4K3Suite and don't jump to conclusions about anything, especially how reliable it is and the fact that there are 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Once you get your head around the basic control features of the K3 line, then you need to understand how Win4K3Suite's CAT interface sharing works so well. In my opinion, the CAT interface sharing is worth the $50 price tag all on its own.

For the CAT interface sharing, you will need to spend some time understanding how com0com works using virtual serial com port pairs. This functionality is where you will replace LP-Bridge, even if you continue to use NaP3. As described in the Win4K3Suite docs, download and install the signed version of com0com if you are running 64 bit windows. Don't get sidetracked with the commercial implementations that are a take off from com0com.

Once you have com0com installed, you will need to create virtual com port pairs for the com ports used by other applications that need K3 CAT control data. I can't get into too many details here, but I created pairs like this: com20<->com10, com21<->com11, com22<->com12 and then in the other hardware tab of the settings in Win4K3Suite, you connect to com20, com21 and com22 in this example. Once you have done that, you can then use com10,11,12 as though they were actual K3 CAT com ports. I.e. in N1MM++ you would setup the Elecraft K3 connection to com10 and some other software like NaP3 (if you want to continue using Nap3) to com11. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it, but it can be confusing at first.

My experience with com0com and Win4K3Suite has been that it's very reliable... and once you get the Spectrum scope setup and play around with it, you will find that it replaces NaP3 functionality. It may be missing a few NaP3 features, but from my perspective the reliability factor more than makes up for those missing features.

The really thing that got me to try Win4K3Suite again was the new support for SDRPlay SDR / direct spectrum display support. This worked great right out of the box and keeps you from needing a sound card like you would need with LP-PAN. However, if you are super particular about performance, I'm pretty sure LP-PAN with a high quality sound card is going to out perform SDRPlay, however SDRPlay is a very turn-key setup with Win4K3Suite.

On the support side VA2SQ has been super responsive... fixed a bug I found with SDRPlay in a couple of weeks and also focused in on an SDRPlay DC artifact that is showing on the screen. He has a fix for the DC artifact too and I'm waiting for the next release to include this particular update. So at the end of the day, with Win4K3Suite, you are getting a very reliable application that supports very reliable com port CAT sharing with the K3 and you have an active developer that supports the product for $50. Its a small price to pay as all the updates are free.

I highly recommend it... and I highly recommend taking the time to understand how things work and let you integrate the K3 cat control across up to 4 other applications side by side with Win4K3Suite.

73 de Max NG7M

VE3GLA Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2016 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Glad I purchased it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I downloaded the 30 day trial version and found it so good that I decided to purchase the licensed version after only a week. What I really like is how easily it integrated my K3 with my SDR-Play sdr radio, giving me a suburb panadapter for very little money. It also integrates easily with other software (in my case, Logger32).

WU6X Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2016 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Win4K3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is about the best radio control software I've tried for my KX3/KXPA-100 combination. It is so simple to setup and use ... no external boxes or computer sound card interface needed (except for using the Rx I/Q for the built-in spectrum display). Lot's of other really nice features including getting to most of the important menu functions in the KX3. If you own a KX3, download the 30-day free trial and you will be very impressed with Tom's work on this interface. He interfaces with popular contest logging programs and still working on others. However, you can save to an ADIF file and simply suck it into whatever logging software you are using. Macros are EASY to program and work well ... Sooooo much easier and simple to use than HRD, DM780, and others I've tried. Dennis - WU6X

N3HU Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2016 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Ultimate Elecraft Software  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the best program out there for Elecraft radios. Rich feature set. Tom is continually improving and adding features, the latest being an SDRplay interface for the panadapter and the KX2. The multi-port sharing let's you connect your K3/KX3/KX2 to N1MM, CWskimmer, HRD, etc.

It was great when I bought it almost a year ago. It gets better with every release.

N8CL Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2016 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product and support  Time owned: more than 12 months
After upgrading my computer to 64 bit Win7, the Com0Com virtual ports I used with Win4K3 stopped working. Tom spent a lot of time helping debug the driver problem (of a product that was not his) and got my Win4K3 up and running again. This is the best product support I have ever had.

KD8OPI Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2015 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Better than HRD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been looking for new control software for the K3; I've been dissatisfied with HRD as a paid-for program as it seems to vomit windows onto my 3 monitors that are useless and hard to manage. I like Win4K3 so far. I'm still trialing it out.

On the plus side, it is compact, easy to get to some common features, and integration of P3 (if you have the SVGA card installed), KAT500 and KPA500 add-ons. Its intuitive (more or less) and doesn't waste a lot of screen with useless nonsense.

Some criticisms are : 1) that the control window is one size only 2) Way too much real-estate is devoted to the main receiver/tx equalizer, for most these are one time settings. Its nice but it should be a pop-up window. 3) Oddly, the NB on/off buttons aren't in the same panel as the NB Settings window. 4) There is no NR setting window.

So its not perfect. I think its better than HRD because its compact, and a bit easier on the eyes than those god-awful sliders. For my money, it needs to put more into filter management, creating filter memories, NR display and settings. I'll play around with it some more and update, but for pure control I like it better than HRD and W4PY.

N3DWS Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2015 21:28 Send this review to a friend
Best EVER !!! UPDATE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
UPDATE... Well the panadapter has been modified and upgraded and now I can say "best ever". It is by far the best software package for the KX3 anyone could have. Nothing else compares or is as seamless as this one. If you have a KX3 you MUST try this package. Great Great GREAT !!!