Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | Worldradio Help

Reviews Summary for Worldradio
Worldradio Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $14.79 per year
Description: General Ham Radio News
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Worldradio.

W4ARZ Rating: 2/5 Oct 25, 2011 08:52 Send this review to a friend
New WorldRadio  Time owned: more than 12 months
With the November 2011 issue. It is now available by subscription. That's fine as it is a great mag.
What's NOT so fine is they changed the format...Instead of being in a downloadable pdf format....you must go to the Zinio website and download special software to get it. This is not acceptable. I have saved ALL the pdf's for reference in years to come and now even though we are happy to pay ...we can no longer do that. I contactedCQ and got the usual schpeel and rhetoric and cancelled my subscription. I would have paid $30 for it had they left is as it was..easy and downloadable to save. Heck...I figure.if I'm buying it...I should be able to save it and run it on any of my pc's without another 3rd party program. If YOU are a WorldRadio reader and are also upset at this...contact them at CQ magazine. Perhaps we can get it back to the pdf format at least.

W6FG Rating: 0/5 Sep 6, 2010 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Sadly, it's SK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Each month I couldn't wait to read "Aerials" and some of the excellent articles but alas, my "life-time" subscription ran out... hence the 0 rating!
I know it's still published 'on line' but I just don't have the desire to read another on-line mag. Too bad, it was a going concern.

N4VBV Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2007 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Nice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just renewed my subscription again. True, it's not colorful and glossy; but the articles are always interesting. And some of the advertisers have some pretty interesting products.

No, I don't find EVERY article to be about my main interests, but they're always interesting and make some other Ham activities look more interesting even if I haven't tried them yet. I especially like Sterba's antenna articles (I like to experiment with wire antennas) and the QRP/CW articles. Some of the "low profile" DX trips are also entertaining, like a recent cover article that showed a fellow operating in Antarctica while a seal (sea lion?) was inspecting the base of his antenna a couple of feet away.

It covers a lot of different activities - CW, QRP, experimenting, antennas, DXpeditions, Emergency activities, etc.

I really like the old newsprint format. You can carry it anywhere to read, unlike an online publication (not disparaging those). Just throw it in the car and read while waiting for the kids, wife, etc. I don't mind reading off paper.

Overall - I read it cover to cover, it's entertaining, doesn't take up a lot of room in a suitcase/packpack, covers a wide range of Ham-related interests, and always has someting new. Highly recommended.

WG2Y Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2007 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Simple But Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a life member for about 18 years and it has been well worth it. the people who write the articles are regular Hams like the rest of us. Although some of the features I really enjoyed are no longer there, there is always something new to replace them. Not overly laden with advertisement. Free of the political buffoonery that QST has contained which has been refreshing.

K0KES Rating: 4/5 May 14, 2007 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Good Magazine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have subsribed for years and allways find interesting articles each month.Nothing fancy but good reading.Especially like the antenna column Kurt Sterba tells it like it really is.Could it be better yes but it allready is better than CQ and QST that I also get.

Joe KØKES

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2007 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Fills a critical void  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree totally with KJ5KX. I can remember when the first issue of 73 came out. It was informative and entertaining. With the demise of 73, Worldradio fills the residual void. Moreover, someone has to support CW. I teach in college and, to me, the current situation is sadly analagous to university administrators telling students that literacy and a command of basic logic are hardly necessary for a college degree as long as they don't misspell their names on their checks. All the complaints about the remaining ham publications prompts me to ask myself what might happen if they all disappear and hams have nothing to read. I wish Worldradio many years of successful publishing.

de Dick, K8RBW

KJ5KX Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2007 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Best Ham mag going!  Time owned: more than 12 months
IMHO, this is the greatest little magazine our hobby has. It always features great articles about the people, equipment, and practices that make Amateur radio the unique endeavor that it is.

Sure, WORLDRADIO isn't glossy or slick, or in color, but that's part of it's appeal. It's unimpressive and unassuming in its newsprint/tabloid format... but BIG on coverage, information, and STYLE.

There's always a wealth of information in every issue, and it's very easy to read cover-to-cover. Editorially, it's solid as a rock - something you can rely on. That's good.

I love it!

KP4RL Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2007 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Better than QST!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It doesn't have the QST's luxury/color pages. Worldradio is more informative and includes really practical articles. QST is just a beautiful and colorful shopper.

K5ADF Rating: 1/5 Oct 9, 2006 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Third world publication  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have not subscribed but do get free issues from time to time. At first I did read them and considered subscribing, but decided better. Today when they arrive I put them where they belong - in the circular file. It is in newspaper format, not magazine, and is poorly written, very amateurish. I found their articles to be against most mainstream thought in the amateur community. They particularly have a virulent anti-ARRL format based on imagined grievances. Most of the paper is composed of advertisements that are poorly written. As one reviewer stated, the rates are cheap. The technical content is nil and when they do venture into this territory they seem to be full of inaccuracies. If you are a brand new ham and have never seen any other publication, you might enjoy reading this publication. They continually send out free copies to inflate their publication numbers. When was the last time CQ or QST sent you a free copy? I will stay with CQ, QST and internet.

KC2JFS Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2006 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Well Worth the Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is a magazine that I enjoy reading that has many different aspects that reflect the hobby. Always a welcomed read.