Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | SIDE KX Help

Reviews Summary for SIDE KX
SIDE KX Reviews: 57 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $64
Description: Replacement End Panels for the Elecraft KX-3 and a snap on Lexan cover.
More info: http://www.gemsproducts.com/

You can write your own review of the SIDE KX.

G8ITB Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2017 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered the KX-3 Side plates/lexan cover & paddle port cover direct from Gems Products – quick shipping and great notifications! Wish I had waited a couple of weeks as the “new” items had come into production during the shipping period!!
Comparing the GemsProducts items against a set of Cheapo Chinese ‘Windcamp’ knock-offs – there is no comparison! The GemsProducts items are light years better in every measurable quality aspect! My suggestion to any reader is; pay the extra and wait a couple of weeks for the post to arrive! You won’t regret it! The video by John Doogan on YouTube is an excellent primer for those who may be faint-hearted in opening up an over £1,000 cost radio and playing about with screwdrivers! I've now ordered the ‘new’ PX3 products for the rest of my Elecraft portable/holiday line-up!
(I put a Cooler KX Plus heatsink on at the same time - no issues - look for the YouTube video by the young lady from Florida to allay any worries about fitting).
Richard G8ITB

WT8P Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2017 18:00 Send this review to a friend
High-quality protection for KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Planning to take my new KX3 hiking with me and wanted some additional protection for the radio. The Side KX, by Scott (AK6Q), is a sweet addition - very easy to install and professionally made (looking like they're original equipment). The transparent overcover snaps on when the radio's not in use.

DC3AFA Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2017 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Good protection for my KX2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my Side KX handles for the KX2 some weeks ago. Took me some time to get the slide plate with the antenna jack installed. Had to remove the antenna tuner to getting the nuts for the PA transistors back in place. Really nice product but high shipping costs to Germany

WH6EAO Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2017 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Accessorize   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wanted to give my KX2 some protection for longevity, the smaller the device the more I'm inclined to damage it (other than loose it). So, I picked up the side panels, mount (back) and cover. Scott was very helpful in advising a mounting solution (Ram Mounts) as a desk top or table top option that made the experience even better. Side KX products come highly suggested for most of your Elecraft KX line of products.

AI5RB Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2017 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided I needed to protect my KX3 from the shack dust and when I travel. I was a little worried that the Sides would protrude and be in the way, but I finally obtained the Side KX3 sides,top, and paddle cover. I worried needlessly. These are sweet additions! I ordered them online and had them here in two days. The instructions are simple to follow. They are perfect and beautiful. For home desktop to travel protection, these are a must!

W3SDR Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2017 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Great products  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had purchased a KX3 at Dayton several years back and at the time purchased the side panels and the molded cover.
So later when I added the PX3 to my portable station I naturally added the side panels and cover for protection.
Since these covers are the new injection molded ones Scott gave me a great deal on upgrading the one for my KX3 as well. Fit and finish are fantastic. All their products are top quality.
Smitty W3SDR

W2XS Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2017 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a new KX2 on Black Friday. Received the Gemsproducts side panels and plastic cover as a Christmas gift. I opened up the KX2 and gasped when I saw thermal pads inside the unit that weren't on the new panels. Turned out that these were part of a brand new Elecraft upgrade called the KX2MDKTHS which Elecraft sells for under $5. I bought the kit, but you might be able to transfer the pads from the old panels to the new ones. Once I received the kit, I tackled the installation of the panels. The instructions on the Gemsproducts website were very good. I completed the installation quickly and didn't lose any of the hardware! And, even with the new panels on, the KX2 still fits inside the large Lowepro case that I bought with the rig.

73, John W2XS

KC8TYA Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2017 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Very nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Install was easy, looks great.
I feel the radio is well protected.
I have the KX3

KC8TYA

KM6AB Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2016 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Side KX and cover for KX2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had previously used the side panels and Lexan cover for my KX3 and was thrilled when Scott came out with the same for my new KX2. I noticed the KX2 side panels are a bit more complex in their design due to the way Elecraft hogged out and recessed some of the connectors, but Scott managed to elegantly duplicate the look and feel of the original side panels while adding the needed handles. They are rock solid like the KX3 version and I’m still confused why Elecraft doesn’t put protective handles like these on all radios from the factory.
Installation took a little more time than the KX3 version because you have to carefully remove a wire in the internal antenna connector then put it back, but there are great instructions on how to do this and no soldering is involved.
I also got the Lexan cover for my KX2 and was surprised at both the crisp and clean look compared to my older KX3 cover and also how tight and secure it fits. I’m told the KX2 covers are injection molded to a higher tolerance than the previous KX3 version and the smaller size probably makes it a little stiffer than the KX3 version when removing from the radio.
I had to learn a new way to remove the KX2 cover, which turns out to be the same way the instructional video shows on Scott’s site. You have to press in the side of the Lexan cover through the opening in the handle, and then it can easily be slid out from the handle and removed. I can see some people being a little squeamish putting pressure on the Lexan cover when removing but the stuff is bullet proof and will not break. In the end the Lexan cover will never come loose from the radio until you want to remove it and I like the added security.
I am as thrilled to have the side panels and cover on my little Elecraft rigs as I am to have the Elecraft rigs. Scott’s side panels and covers are the final touch to these amazing little rigs and they give me piece of mind that they will be protected wherever I might hike, paddle or bicycle to operate them.
Mike Frye KM6AB

KP4WK Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2016 09:19 Send this review to a friend
KX2 Cover, I was a bit skeptical at first  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was about to place an order as soon as the KX2 covers came out but saw some reviews on the forums claiming that the cover would not come off after install, I decided to hold on my purchase.
Then a few days later, I took my KX2 to the park and once again saw the need for the cover and the raised handles to protect it.
I contacted Scott at Gemsproducts and he directed me to the installation instructions on their website and reminded me that I could return the cover if I didn’t like it.
Well, I placed the order on a Thursday morning and got it on Saturday via priority mail. Wow, I’m very satisfied with this product. It was a 15-20 min pretty straight forward installation. The cover and raised handles fit nicely on my KX2.
This cover makes absolute sense to me since I didn’t like to have all the knobs and LCD exposed while transporting the rig inside my bag. With this new cover I like that it adds an extra layer of protection to the front panel besides it looks cool.
The cover snaps easily into the end panels and please be aware that it will NOT come off if you pull it straight up. You have to press a little on the side handle opening and then up. It snaps off relatively easily once you’ve done it a few times. I actually like it and I’m not worried that it will come off during transport. I highly recommend this product for the KX2.