Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | SIDE KX Help

Reviews Summary for SIDE KX
SIDE KX Reviews: 48 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $64
Description: Replacement End Panels for the Elecraft KX-3 and a snap on Lexan cover.

You can write your own review of the SIDE KX.

KP4WK Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2016 09:19 Send this review to a friend
KX2 Cover, I was a bit skeptical at first  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was about to place an order as soon as the KX2 covers came out but saw some reviews on the forums claiming that the cover would not come off after install, I decided to hold on my purchase.
Then a few days later, I took my KX2 to the park and once again saw the need for the cover and the raised handles to protect it.
I contacted Scott at Gemsproducts and he directed me to the installation instructions on their website and reminded me that I could return the cover if I didnít like it.
Well, I placed the order on a Thursday morning and got it on Saturday via priority mail. Wow, Iím very satisfied with this product. It was a 15-20 min pretty straight forward installation. The cover and raised handles fit nicely on my KX2.
This cover makes absolute sense to me since I didnít like to have all the knobs and LCD exposed while transporting the rig inside my bag. With this new cover I like that it adds an extra layer of protection to the front panel besides it looks cool.
The cover snaps easily into the end panels and please be aware that it will NOT come off if you pull it straight up. You have to press a little on the side handle opening and then up. It snaps off relatively easily once youíve done it a few times. I actually like it and Iím not worried that it will come off during transport. I highly recommend this product for the KX2.
W7BV Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2016 03:43 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding KX2,KX3, PX3 accesories  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several of Scottís outstanding, very useful products installed on my KX3 and PX3 and recently on my KX2. These include SideKX endplates and covers as well as KXPD paddle port covers. On the KX2, the new Tall Backleg, Mount, and beta version VFO A Tuning Knob were added. The SideKX end plates are of high quality and fit perfectly on my KX3, PX3 and KX2. The covers for all three are also of excellent quality and together with the end plates provide superior protection to the equipment. My SideKX equipped KX3 has travelled in my carryon bag on multiple trips in the USA, Australia, and Europe -the newer KX2 so far only in the USA. When travelling, I remove the paddle and use the KXPD Port Cover to successfully prevent contamination of the port. The new KX2 Tall Back Leg attaches above the factory leg and provides the option of much better inclination of the KX2 for easier viewing. As indicated in its product description, the Tall Back Leg will not allow use of the KXPD2 paddle due to the bottom corners of the paddles touching the desk. However, the Tall Back Leg works beautifully when using a Begali Adventure Paddle with its angled attachment plate. The new beta version, 3D printed KX2 VFO A tuning knob with a finger dimple is a joy to use; and, I look forward to the smooth surfaced production model with elimination of the rough surface especially within the finger dimple. The KX2 Mount is an excellent method of quickly mounting the radio to any number of commercially available mounts. It is well designed and constructed and easy to use. I use it to quickly and firmly attach the radio to a clip board for arm chair operating which works very well. Finally, the service provided by Scott is first class. He responds quickly to emails and promptly ships orders for his products. I highly recommend all of these products.
W7BV Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2016 11:38 Send this review to a friend
KX2 SideKX and Cover  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I second all of the very positive reviews of the SideKX and covers for the KX3 and PX3 and the SideKX for the KX2. The end plates are of high quality and fit perfectly on my KX3, PX3 and KX2. The covers for all three are also of excellent quality and together with the end plates provide superior protection to the equipment. However, while the covers for he KX3 and PX3 snap into place easily, the newly available KX2 cover requires conderable pressure to install and remove. Scott tells me this is due the ends of the cover being less flexible because of being shorter. As a result, I rate the KX2 cover a 4 and all other SideKX and covers a 5.
K2WO Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2016 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Side KX Are Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've purchased SideKX for my KX3 and PX3, along with the clear plastic Covers. They are absolutely great and the quality could not be better. Now that I own a KX2, I wanted the same level of protection. The SideKX were installed easily and are perfect. When the plastic cover is available, I'll order one. Scott does a great job on these products. I recommend them all highly.
W3ATB Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2016 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Wanted to give Six Stars  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend of mine who has this product told me to get it to protect my KX3. I purchased the stunning cover with the side handles as a combo deal. The fit and finish is as good, or BETTER, than the actual KX3. Scott is a small business man and it's wonderful to be able to support him. You'll NOT be disappointed with the Side KX Lexan cover.
KG5FTI Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2016 07:53 Send this review to a friend
KX2 Side KX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my KX2 yesterday and installed the SideKX this morning. Took about 15 minutes because of my ability level, not due to the product. The product is well made and allows protection of the control knobs when installing the battery. No issues whatsoever and I look forward to other products from GEM for the KX2 in the near future.
NX3P Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2016 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Long wait, but the product is outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During October 2015, the bug bit me and I jumped on the purchase of an Elecraft KX3. As the controls are top mounted and using a QRP radio out in the field is not without risks, I decided that the SIDE KX panels and lexan cover were in order. Reviews indicated that this product is well crafted.

I placed my order, even though there was was an issue on the cover production that the vendor indicated on his web site. I figured it would be a month or so, so I went ahead and ordered the entire package.

Months went buy as the vendor kept testing molds to make sure quality stayed top notch. I met the vendor at the QRP ARCI Four Days in May event. He showed examples of why the covers were not shipping. He said that the wait will be worth it.

Today I received a box with the elusive side panels and cover. I followed the simple directions, and removed the factory side plates and installed the SIDE KX panels. They feel every bit as quality made as factory and paint quality was very good. Once installed, I removed the plastic wrap from the lexan panel. All I can say is that the wait, while long was worth it. I can now take my KX3 to the field and not have nearly the worry.

Scott is a very ethical business man that makes a great product.

73 Stan NX3P
Harvest, Alabama
WU6X Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2016 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Scott has new molds and is shipping again. I decided on the cover ONLY, as the end panels make access to some controls on the KX3 more difficult to my personal operating style. The cover protects the panel when placed in the camera case I use to transport the radio. It fits with a snug fig and does the job perfectly! I highly recommend this product. Dennis-WU6X
W1IE Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2016 17:11 Send this review to a friend
An excellent product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Saw this product at Dayton about two years ago just across the Elecraft booth. Since I wanted to have a QRP rig with me on my motorcycle trips, I thought that the side ends and the cover was the answer to the vibration and weather concerns. It was!. Very easy to install the end caps and after that, the cover slips on providing a very good fit again the elements. I recommend these two products wholeheartedly and without reservation.
KE2SX Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2016 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first saw these on another ham's website that featured his KX3 and he recommended them (thanks W2TAC). I followed his link to the gemsproducts website and knew this would be the supplier for me, and ordered them as soon as my kx3 arrived. Fit and finish are excellent and installation couldn't be easier - maybe 10 minutes only because I was so cautious handling the radio. These end panels will go a long way to protect the very delicate knobs on the KX3, and they also allow a more sure grip on the radio when handling it. Also got the KXPD port cover panel for when the paddle is not attached during transportation.

I also ordered the lexan cover and will review it when it arrives. But - I messed up my original order, and Scott wasted no time in correcting MY mistake and made everything right - the panels arrived 2 days later. So, communication and customer service are excellent as well.

For those in the US who care about such things, buy from this US company and not from eBay. And of course wherever you are, buy from this company!

Highly recommended.