Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | SIDE KX Help

Reviews Summary for SIDE KX
SIDE KX Reviews: 60 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $64
Description: Replacement End Panels for the Elecraft KX-3 and a snap on Lexan cover.
More info: http://www.gemsproducts.com/

You can write your own review of the SIDE KX.

NK8S Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2017 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Well made products and Scott is a gem!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased side plates, lexan cover and a key port cover for my KX2. Scott was a pleasure to deal with, delivered quickly and his products are very well made. Simple installation and utilization and I'm very pleased overall. Now happy to 'throw' my KX2 into a backback with no worries about damage to the unit.

5 of 5 from me.

N9YB Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2017 16:58 Send this review to a friend
High quality well engineered product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both the KX-3 and PX-3 side plates and the poly-carbonate covers for both the Elecraft units.

The fit and finish are spot on. The lettering on the end plates matches the font of the KX-3/PX-3 and they look like they were meant to be there.

The covers are a nice tight fit but easy to remove and reset.

I had purchased my set at the beginning of the production issues with the covers. Scott kept everyone informed with frequent website updates and offered refunds to those who didn't want to wait it out. It was a long trial for him to find a production partner that could build the covers to the exacting specifications required. When I received the covers, they fit perfectly.

A must have for the KX-3 and PX-3 who users their rigs in the field.

WB6DJI Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2017 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Product A+  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Scott AK6Q,

The GemProducts Side-KX Panels and Clear Polycarbonate Cover are A+ rated must haves for my New KX3 compared to the Cheap Inferior Chinese look alikes made by WINDCAMP found out there
from China on Ebay !

Originally I purchased from China on Ebay the Wind-Camp Heatsink Shield Kit+Cover. These WINDCAMP Side Panels and Cheap Plastic Cover turned into a big disappointment for my New Elecraft KX3.

Upon receiving the WINDCAMP Chinese Cover, it had a Big Crack in it from shipping from China to the USA. The Plastic Cover is made of cheap plastic pieces that are thermally bonded together. Th slightest pressure and they fall apart and crack..

To add to my dismay, the WINDCAMP Side-Panels have a thin black oxide coating, and the slightest scratch took off the Black Coating. Another Flaw is that the Side Panels were Cheap Tin-Metal that easily Bent.

Also the WINDCAMP Chinese side plates made bad Case Ground Contacts making Noise in my KX3 whenever I adjusted the rear feet on my KX3.in addition to RF getting into my KX3 when I transmitted !

To add another blow to my Dismay, I could not get my KX3 to work long Duty Cycles on Transmit without the KX3 power being reduced for JT65 and PSK31 modes. After two minute's, the WINDCAMP unit
failed on JT65 with reduced output power !

To my rescue came the Scott, AK6Q, with his SIDE KX product from GemProducts, These Handle Side-Plates and Plastic Cover are
worth every penny. An A+ rated product.

No more Noise in my KX3 due to bad grounding when I adjust the rear feet on my Elecraft KX3, No more RF getting in my KX3 when I transmit.

The SIDE KX Side Panels have a durable finish that does not scratch off like the Cheap Chinese WINDCAMP Plates !

The GemProducts SIDE KX Clear Cover is made of Bullet Proof Durable Polycarbonate that is a Seamless Cover tougher than nails.

This SIDE KX Polycarbonate Cover is nothing but 1st Class
and thrilled at the superb quality of the Super Durable Clear
cover for the Elecraft KX3.

I plan to take my KX3 around the World and the SIDE KX will
protect my major investment that I have in the Elecraft KX3.

Scott, AK6Q left no attention to details, when it came to fitting the
SIDE KX Cover with the Kx31 Pro Audio Engineering Heatsink !

The Kx31 Heatsink fits perfectly mechanically with the SIDE-KX Clear Polycarbonate Cover where my WINDCAMP cheap Cover
did not match up mechanically. With the New Heatsink, my KX3 puts out 15Watts on JT65 and PSK31 without tripping out at
60deg C with operating in the Hot Sun for over an hour and no issues !

My Elecraft KX3 stays cool and really can take it while
being in the Hot Sun without failing.

You will not be disappointed, as I said, the SIDE KX is worth every
penny !

My hat off to Scott, AK6Q and the SIDE KX from GemProducts.

I wish I had found the SIDE KX products first rather than the WINCAMP KX3,

This makes me a firm believer, you pay for what you get, and
the SIDE KX is nothing but the best for your Elecraft KX3 !

If I could give a 10 Star rating, it would be for Scott AK6Q and it would be for his SIDE KX
product for the Elecraft KX3, a must have !

A happy KX3 owner

Mike
WB6DJI

G8ITB Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2017 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered the KX-3 Side plates/lexan cover & paddle port cover direct from Gems Products – quick shipping and great notifications! Wish I had waited a couple of weeks as the “new” items had come into production during the shipping period!!
Comparing the GemsProducts items against a set of Cheapo Chinese ‘Windcamp’ knock-offs – there is no comparison! The GemsProducts items are light years better in every measurable quality aspect! My suggestion to any reader is; pay the extra and wait a couple of weeks for the post to arrive! You won’t regret it! The video by John Doogan on YouTube is an excellent primer for those who may be faint-hearted in opening up an over £1,000 cost radio and playing about with screwdrivers! I've now ordered the ‘new’ PX3 products for the rest of my Elecraft portable/holiday line-up!
(I put a Cooler KX Plus heatsink on at the same time - no issues - look for the YouTube video by the young lady from Florida to allay any worries about fitting).
Richard G8ITB

WT8P Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2017 18:00 Send this review to a friend
High-quality protection for KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Planning to take my new KX3 hiking with me and wanted some additional protection for the radio. The Side KX, by Scott (AK6Q), is a sweet addition - very easy to install and professionally made (looking like they're original equipment). The transparent overcover snaps on when the radio's not in use.

DC3AFA Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2017 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Good protection for my KX2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my Side KX handles for the KX2 some weeks ago. Took me some time to get the slide plate with the antenna jack installed. Had to remove the antenna tuner to getting the nuts for the PA transistors back in place. Really nice product but high shipping costs to Germany

WH6EAO Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2017 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Accessorize   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wanted to give my KX2 some protection for longevity, the smaller the device the more I'm inclined to damage it (other than loose it). So, I picked up the side panels, mount (back) and cover. Scott was very helpful in advising a mounting solution (Ram Mounts) as a desk top or table top option that made the experience even better. Side KX products come highly suggested for most of your Elecraft KX line of products.

AI5RB Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2017 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided I needed to protect my KX3 from the shack dust and when I travel. I was a little worried that the Sides would protrude and be in the way, but I finally obtained the Side KX3 sides,top, and paddle cover. I worried needlessly. These are sweet additions! I ordered them online and had them here in two days. The instructions are simple to follow. They are perfect and beautiful. For home desktop to travel protection, these are a must!

W3SDR Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2017 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Great products  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had purchased a KX3 at Dayton several years back and at the time purchased the side panels and the molded cover.
So later when I added the PX3 to my portable station I naturally added the side panels and cover for protection.
Since these covers are the new injection molded ones Scott gave me a great deal on upgrading the one for my KX3 as well. Fit and finish are fantastic. All their products are top quality.
Smitty W3SDR

W2XS Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2017 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a new KX2 on Black Friday. Received the Gemsproducts side panels and plastic cover as a Christmas gift. I opened up the KX2 and gasped when I saw thermal pads inside the unit that weren't on the new panels. Turned out that these were part of a brand new Elecraft upgrade called the KX2MDKTHS which Elecraft sells for under $5. I bought the kit, but you might be able to transfer the pads from the old panels to the new ones. Once I received the kit, I tackled the installation of the panels. The instructions on the Gemsproducts website were very good. I completed the installation quickly and didn't lose any of the hardware! And, even with the new panels on, the KX2 still fits inside the large Lowepro case that I bought with the rig.

73, John W2XS