Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | SIDE KX Help

Reviews Summary for SIDE KX
SIDE KX Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $64
Description: Replacement End Panels for the Elecraft KX-3 and a snap on Lexan cover.
More info: http://www.gemsproducts.com/

You can write your own review of the SIDE KX.

K2WO Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2016 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Side KX Are Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've purchased SideKX for my KX3 and PX3, along with the clear plastic Covers. They are absolutely great and the quality could not be better. Now that I own a KX2, I wanted the same level of protection. The SideKX were installed easily and are perfect. When the plastic cover is available, I'll order one. Scott does a great job on these products. I recommend them all highly.

W3ATB Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2016 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Wanted to give Six Stars  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend of mine who has this product told me to get it to protect my KX3. I purchased the stunning cover with the side handles as a combo deal. The fit and finish is as good, or BETTER, than the actual KX3. Scott is a small business man and it's wonderful to be able to support him. You'll NOT be disappointed with the Side KX Lexan cover.

KG5FTI Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2016 07:53 Send this review to a friend
KX2 Side KX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my KX2 yesterday and installed the SideKX this morning. Took about 15 minutes because of my ability level, not due to the product. The product is well made and allows protection of the control knobs when installing the battery. No issues whatsoever and I look forward to other products from GEM for the KX2 in the near future.

NX3P Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2016 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Long wait, but the product is outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During October 2015, the bug bit me and I jumped on the purchase of an Elecraft KX3. As the controls are top mounted and using a QRP radio out in the field is not without risks, I decided that the SIDE KX panels and lexan cover were in order. Reviews indicated that this product is well crafted.

I placed my order, even though there was was an issue on the cover production that the vendor indicated on his web site. I figured it would be a month or so, so I went ahead and ordered the entire package.

Months went buy as the vendor kept testing molds to make sure quality stayed top notch. I met the vendor at the QRP ARCI Four Days in May event. He showed examples of why the covers were not shipping. He said that the wait will be worth it.

Today I received a box with the elusive side panels and cover. I followed the simple directions, and removed the factory side plates and installed the SIDE KX panels. They feel every bit as quality made as factory and paint quality was very good. Once installed, I removed the plastic wrap from the lexan panel. All I can say is that the wait, while long was worth it. I can now take my KX3 to the field and not have nearly the worry.

Scott is a very ethical business man that makes a great product.

73 Stan NX3P
Harvest, Alabama

WU6X Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2016 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Scott has new molds and is shipping again. I decided on the cover ONLY, as the end panels make access to some controls on the KX3 more difficult to my personal operating style. The cover protects the panel when placed in the camera case I use to transport the radio. It fits with a snug fig and does the job perfectly! I highly recommend this product. Dennis-WU6X

W1IE Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2016 17:11 Send this review to a friend
An excellent product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Saw this product at Dayton about two years ago just across the Elecraft booth. Since I wanted to have a QRP rig with me on my motorcycle trips, I thought that the side ends and the cover was the answer to the vibration and weather concerns. It was!. Very easy to install the end caps and after that, the cover slips on providing a very good fit again the elements. I recommend these two products wholeheartedly and without reservation.

KE2SX Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2016 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first saw these on another ham's website that featured his KX3 and he recommended them (thanks W2TAC). I followed his link to the gemsproducts website and knew this would be the supplier for me, and ordered them as soon as my kx3 arrived. Fit and finish are excellent and installation couldn't be easier - maybe 10 minutes only because I was so cautious handling the radio. These end panels will go a long way to protect the very delicate knobs on the KX3, and they also allow a more sure grip on the radio when handling it. Also got the KXPD port cover panel for when the paddle is not attached during transportation.

I also ordered the lexan cover and will review it when it arrives. But - I messed up my original order, and Scott wasted no time in correcting MY mistake and made everything right - the panels arrived 2 days later. So, communication and customer service are excellent as well.

For those in the US who care about such things, buy from this US company and not from eBay. And of course wherever you are, buy from this company!

Highly recommended.

KE2SX

K6GVW Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2016 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Great KX accessory!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought for my KX2 after experience with same product on my KX3 and PX3. I can break anything, so the added protection of these side plates is invaluable. Personally, I think they add to the already great look of the KX2! Be sure to watch the installation video referenced on the SIDE KX website...helps a lot. Highly recommend.

KC1CCR Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2016 20:27 Send this review to a friend
High Quality essential accessory for the Elecraft KX2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a big fan of the SideKX panels from GEMS products, having owned them for the KX3/PX3. The KX2 version is no exception, very high quality, accurate dimensions and perfectly matches the finish of the KX2. Ordered mine on Friday, arrived in the mail on Tuesday. Took all of ten minutes to install. I followed VA2SS's advice from his YouTube video of removing the red wire by carefully removing the connector from its shell, instead of de-soldering the red wire from the BNC connector. Can hardly wait for the Lexan cover to be available. Right through this process Scott was very prompt and patient in responding to my emails, bugging him about when the panels would be available. In every which way, GEMS, Scott and their products are exemplary.

K7UTX Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2016 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used Side KX panels and covers for a pair of KX3/PX3 units for the past two plus years. One combo is 'shack bound' while the other has been a constant travel bag and trail companion with many hard miles of use. The Side KX is well designed and the production quality is excellent. Installation is quick and easy. And the fit of the side panels and formed cover provide rock solid protection to KX3 & PX3. In addition, Scott is very responsive to questions and requests. Great product; excellent company to do business with!