Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: by NA4RR Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by NA4RR
Hexbeam: by NA4RR Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $450
Description: The hexagonal beam antenna is built around the improved
broadband design by G3TXQ. Features air coaxial center post
made from aluminum and stainless steel hardware. The spreaders
are fiberglass tubes and support cords are made of kevlar
covered with UV resistant Dacron. All wire sets are 14ga 168
strand Flexweave™ and are pre-measured for simple assembly.
This is a plug and play antenna with no tuning or cutting of
elements required.
More info: http://www.hexagonalbeam.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by NA4RR.

K1PJR Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2017 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

I purchased the antenna at the end of last year but just got around to erecting it last week. Assembly was simple and only took about 15 minutes. It's sitting on a 20' mast with a Yaesu rotor at the bottom of the mast.

I had quite a few stateside QSO's and the first thing I noticed was how quiet the antenna was. I switched between a long wire and the hex and while the wire showed about 3 S units of noise the hex and 0 noise. That alone made a huge difference.

I took a look at a cluster and made contacts with England and Costa Rica on my first try both with 59's. My QTH is Milford CT. However this past Sunday is when I became a true believer. I saw ST69JOTA from Sudan was on 20m. I turned the hex toward him and I could here him at 55. I made one call and he came back to me with a 55. That's a ATNO for me with lousy conditions and the hex is only at 20'!!

Absolutely the best bang for your buck. Love it. Thanks so much for a great product!

PS: just this morning logged Canary Islands with a 59.

WU7X Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2017 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Simple, elegant  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In typical fashion I'm getting back into ham radio after a near decade long slump. Long gone are the 52' crank up tower and SteppIR antenna. I wanted something a bit simpler this time.

This Hexbeam has to be the easiest antenna I have ever put together. I took my time and did it right. I started with three coats of flat black rattle can paint on the spreaders, waited a couple days and followed the instructions from there. Although pretty big, the finished antenna is very light and my daughter and I were able to mount it to a Yaesu 450a rotator on the top of a Heights 32' tower. I used the winch on my truck to lift the hinged tower upright, connected all the cables and checked out the VSWRs. One spot at 21.4 mHz was at 1.4:1. Everything else on the HF bands is 1.1-1.3:1. That's almost scary! 50 mHz was a bit higher.

The Yaesu spins this antenna effortlessly. At this point in the solar cycle and time of year, I've only used 17 and 20 meters, but have been very happy with the results. I have not tested F/B yet, but S/S seems to be pretty good; signals drop off as the beam is rotated away from them.

I'll update this review next spring after I've had the chance to give it a good workout.

KM4SEG Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2017 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Hex Beam  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One of the simplest installations I have encountered (including non-radio), reminded me of building a tent, but easier. Bill is great to work with, and answers all questions. Decided to paint the Hex flat black, and was able to get it mounted at about 45FT with a fan dipole and VHF/UHF vertical on the same tower. Had it up a few weeks now, and getting great reports in places I have never worked before (i.e. 5/9, big signal etc.) with only 100 watts. Receive improvement is about 2DB over the dipole, and sometimes more. This is a great antenna, and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to get a solid multi-band directional in the air.

W3JB Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2017 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Plug and Play Hex  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a NA4RR Hexbeam recently. Price and quality were outstanding. Everything quickly fit and assembled as it should. Put it up at 35 feet via a roof tripod with a decent rotator. Light weight, with low wind resistance. Performance is great on all bands, it required no tuning at all. Bandwidth is basically less than 2:1 across every band, usually 1.3:1. I used NA4RR's 1:1 balun at the antenna. Very quiet compared to my 2 dipoles, and a lot better reach, even though surrounded by trees. Now I can work them as long as I can hear them. Great vendor as well. Easy to recommend this antenna for those without space for a tower mounted beam or limited space. First contact from Texas was to middle east, ten minutes after install. A real winner!

K4WDR Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2016 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Quality And Performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was not able to work far too many DX stations simply because i could not hear them. I decided to give the Hex Beam a go and see if it would help out. I have mine installed on a push up pole at about 25 to 30 feet high and even being as low as it is it definitely made a huge difference in being able to hear those DX stations I was missing before.

The set up was easy, took about an hour or possibly a little less to assemble the beam itself, and another 30 minutes and I had the beam up on the pole and rotor and working DX on 20m and 17m. SWR on any and all bands is never higher than 1.8:1 with the majority of the bands being below 1.3:1 - All around it was actually one of the best antenna purchases I have ever made in my 24 years +/- in ham radio.

Light duty Channel master antenna rotor works just fine in turning this beam. I think if I had this beam up on a tower about 50 feet high it would pretty much be optimal. Either way this antenna in my opinion is a strong buy!

K5VP Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2016 19:55 Send this review to a friend
I'm now being heard!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was always intrigued with the hexbeam. When in QSO with owners of hexbeams, their signals were impressive. Also, impressive was when an owner would swing the hex in my direction & the very noticeable increase in signal.

I just completed a sweeps weekend with a new NA4RR hex at 33 feet, running 500 watts. I worked 99% of the stations I called within 1 or 2 calls. A lot of bang for the buck, nice to knock down side & backside signals compared to the vertical I use.

Solid contacts on 15, 17 & 20m. 6, 10 & 12m have been quiet now, but I think it should perform well on those bands.

I had a few small, inexpensive parts missing & I contacted NA4RR about finding the correct pieces local. He immediately overnighted the missing parts & the price of shipping was more the price of the missing parts. That is awesome customer service.

I did find the assembly instructions missing some key points. (I had not seen a hex close up prior to receiving mine.) However, there are a couple of good youtube videos on hexbeam assembly that showed point to point on how to complete assembly.

When assembled, the SWR was tested on each band & no adjustments were needed.

While a hexbeam is not a stack of yagis, hexes are a great performing antenna. I have no hesitation in recommending the NA4RR hex.

N7MOT Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2016 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Hex Beam is a great addition to my antenna farm  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Assembling this antenna was a piece of cake. The suggestions and hints on their web site were helpful. While installation instructions recommend using at least two people (it's not heavy, but it is unwieldy) I had no problem walking it up my roof and planting it in my rotator. I installed a four-foot roof-mounted tower (Glen Martin RT424) to hold it and the rotator. The tower took longer to mount than construction and installation of the antenna.

Operationally it gives me a great alternative to the Carolina Windom. The launch angles for the two antennas are different, so there are cases where the Carolina Windom outperforms the Hex Beam. But just as often (if not more) the directionality of the Hex Beam allows me to null out noise or other interference to better effect than with the Windom.

Overall this is a great antenna, fairly priced, and a great performer.

You can view a photo of the installation on my QRZ page (N7MOT).

VA7IQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2016 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Impressive improvement over past antennas  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This year I sold all my equipment including a Cushcraft R5 vertical and 1000w linear, and started again from from nearly scratch.

As background, my urban environment has been terrible with S9+ noise levels despite a great radio (TS940), careful manual antenna tuning, noise reduction using a Timewave ANC-4 (phasing out the noise), and the best-of-the-best DSP audio processors in the Timewas DSP-599x. What good is it being on HF if all you hear is noise?

A friend highly recommended the NA4RR antenna and I decided to take the plunge -- and am glad that I did.

I installed it on a 35' tower using a TV rotor and about 100 feet of LMR400, with a smaller jumper of LMR240. It was a challenge to install due to heavy foliage surrounding the base of the tower which is attached to the house. Getting it up over those bushes to the tower was a big challenge, but the antenna withstood the treatment needed to relocate it. With a gin-pole and the help of friends on and at the base of the tower, we were able to lift it up sideways to near the top of then tower, then lift it the rest of the way by hand, and tip it up and into the rotor.

The Hexbeam on its own took me from a world where the local noise could not be overcome to up to 5 S-units of noise reduction. It is now common to hear further than 1 or 2 states, and hit the eastern seaboard, and further.

Coupled with the new ICOM IC-7300, the combo is truly outstanding. Local noise is GREATLY reduced, and I know this because I can compare the Hexbeam to my Windom (that was receiving all the noise in the first place).

So what now? I'm on the air more, running only 100w, and getting better results that I've had for 10 years. No plans for a linear, and quite happy with what is likely to be my last antenna.

Happy camper? I think so ...

Don Middleton
VA7IQ / AE7UP Delta, BC, Canada

KI6ZUP Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2016 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value / Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased from Roger in the summer of 2014. got it assembled / painted and installed on a 35' push up with a sturdy Yaesu G800DXA rotor (overkill) and was on the air in the middle of October. First contact was with the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor @ 20 over s9 with 80 watts (2400 mi)

When I first started using it I was running a Henry 2K-3 amp. but I quickly found that I didn't need it with this antenna I sold the Amp....The Hex really works that well!!.

JT65 and PSK is amazing at 5 watts. all over the globe when the bands cooperate.

Do yourself a favor and use the ice cords. we don't get much ice here in so Cal. but we do get som high winds, and the antenna has easily survived 80mph Santana winds.

I have recommended the NA4RR design to anyone who asks....I truly think it is the Best Value for dollars spent. the hexbeam is a great design. it is a fantastic performer in a modest package.

K7LNP Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2016 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I can say nothing but outstanding things about this antenna! I have had my NA4RR Hexbeam up since October of last year (2015), and it has gone through some punishing winds and weather. We had an extremely rough winter in northern Utah, heavy snow and high winds, and the antenna was not phased one bit. Everything about this antenna just works, it goes together in an hour, all the parts were there, well packaged, and high quality materials! I am on a small city lot, it's up @ 25' and it performs way above my expectations. It has done exceptional on 6 meters as well! Thank you Roger for an outstanding product!!!