Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | Rigexpert AA-600 antenna analyzer Help

Reviews Summary for Rigexpert AA-600 antenna analyzer
Rigexpert AA-600 antenna analyzer Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $850
Description: Portable handheld analyzer will cover HF through 600Mhz, will integrate with computer and also do time-domain testing.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com/index?s=aa1000

You can write your own review of the Rigexpert AA-600 antenna analyzer.

K4MYR Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2014 16:14 Send this review to a friend
I'd like to give it more than 5 stars!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like this analyzer. I am new to ham radio but realize the need for an analyzer for many antenna applications. Before buying the AA-600, I considered the Comet and several of the MFJ models but the RigExpert had features the others lacked, in addition to being more user friendly. I particularly like the graphical VSWR scans over a range of frequencies. I was also very impressed with the customer support from the seller (Ham Radio Outlet) and the manufacturer (RigExpert). Both responded quickly and positively to an issue I had. (It turned out the problem was on my end and not with the analyzer.) If you are in the market for an analyzer, you should consider the AA-600. I don't hesitate to recommend it highly.

WD0E Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2014 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Good with some small issues  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this unit about 6 months and used it both on my ham antennas and public safety systems I install and maintain. When I first got it I compared results with my HP8920 to verify its accuracy and found the results matched well. I also have an older MFJ unit. The 600 is a full step above the MFJ in what it will do and the quality of results.
Some issues with the 600 are listed below. Many of these have to do with the user interface.
- When using it without a computer attached you really have to work with it a bit to figure out what button to press to get it to do what you want. I found it not at all intuitive. And the manual is no help. But once you figure out the key sequence you can get to a measurement quickly.
- When used with a computer attached the functions in the various menus are not arranged in a way that was intuitive for me. You have to use three menus to set a frequency and range and get a scan started. Grouping the commonly used actions into one menu, and making a grouping of buttons in the tool bar for them, would greatly simplify use.
- When using it stand alone you have to press the check mark key to start a scan. When attached to the computer it starts scanning as soon as you make a change to a parameter Ė like frequency range. The indication that it is scanning is there but you have to look for it Ė in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Itís not clear what the Ďadd or subtractí cable parameters function does. I guess it would factor out the cable parms after you have done a calibration to the end of a cable, but Iíve not seen any different in the measurements when I turn that on/off
- Adding some more common cable types to the list in the cable parameters set function would be nice Ė like various sizes of hardline.
- The screen scratches very easily. The first time I put it into the provided case then took it out again the clear window of the case scratched the screen. Iíve not used the case since.
- When you use it with a laptop the scans and analysis work much faster. I assume the processing work moves from the analyzer processor chip to the computer when attached. Without the computer the process takes time, especially a TDR, which is frustrating when making repeated measurements as you change / tune an antenna. Iíve taken to using a laptop all the time except when on a tower.
- This is not an instantaneous reading device (like the MFJ or the 8920). It takes several seconds to make and display measurements even when attached to a laptop. Thatís fine as long as you expect it. It just takes a bit more time to make adjustments and repeated measurements.
- The portability is great as long as you are aware of the screen scratch issue. Certainly beats lugging around the 50 lb HP8920.
- There are still some things on the display I donít understand, like vertical yellow bands on the SWR and return loss plots, and the manual is of no help at all. A more complete manual would be a real plus for this unit in many ways.
- It is pricy. Having said that Iím now kicking myself for getting the 600 when Iím now working on stuff up to 1,400 Mhz. In particular I think this unit would let me easily find problems with whips installed on fire trucks for the 700 Ė 860Mhz digital trunked system they all use. Using the 8920 a while back I found the mounts and cables in my own service vehicle were really really bad at 800 Ė the coax leaked and the loss in 18í of cable was nearly 6dB. Additionally some of the departments have volunteers installing their mounts and Iíve found cable crimps and cuts and the like the RigExpert would easily locate.
- I would reinforce the point others have made about the batteries and charger. The bats are of poor quality and Iíve replaced them. Bats do not fit well in the charger and the US plug adapter falls off the European plug. Since the bats just barely stay in the charger slots and because of the plug problems we have ordered a new charger. But allowing the bats to be charged while in the unit would be a big plus in my view.
- Overall I would say it is a relatively usable device that produces accurate results. Itís slow when used without a computer, suffers from a very poor manual and some user interface issues. And of course itís overpriced. Having said that, last week we had a contractor put up 8 VHF public safety Yagiís on a 200í tower including cable. The 600 made the job of tuning the Yagiís on the ground they sweeping cables and antennas after mounting as a final test pretty darn easy and fast. And we found (with a return loss plot) they had mounted one too close to an 800Mhz omni stick which was effecting the impedance of the Yagi. The interaction with that 800 antenna was obvious in the plots if you knew what to look for and when you compared it with the other Yagiís. Saved them a trip back to fix it on another day. So the 600 probably paid for itself with just that one test.

AE7G Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2014 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Continues excellent after one year  Time owned: months
I am now a year into ownership and I still think this is one of the best pieces of equipment I have owned. It continues to be very easy to use and continues to give me trustworthy results.

The unit comes with a convenient nylon carry bag that has a neck strap. Since the unit is compact and light, I have found the bag very convenient for transporting and field use.

I think it is no big deal that the batteries can't charge in the unit. Small battery chargers are everywhere and most of us have them. With this setup you don't have to keep track of a separate charger. Batteries last a long time and replacements can easily be found in an emergency.

The carry bag has convenient pockets for the computer cable and for connector adapter. You will need to carry an adapter for PL259 testing. About my only complaint is that the pocket for the adapter is not secure so there is a danger the adapter might get dropped during a project. I keep the adapter attached to the unit, which means I can't completely close the bag flap. This is of course really picky.

While perhaps the case itself might benefit from rubber padding, it does appear to be made of impact resistant materials. Even if the case were rubberized you still would not want to drop sensitive electronic equipment. I simply don't see this as a problem. I would much rather have the nylon carry bag than rubber padding for the case.

NW1S Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2014 15:21 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Best $600 I've spent on test equipment in 30 years! Developed three 2m/70cm antennas with this rig. Beats my buddy's rackmount Network Analyzer. Developing my high-power selectable-ratio baluns for 160m-6m has been PURE JOY! Tuning my two homebrew HF loop antennas on my roof is TOO EASY! I've combined EZNEC and RigExpert's AntScope on my little Samsung NetBook so I can work out glitches while sitting on the roof. Beats running up and down the ladder! Checked TDR on a roll of RG-8 that sat outside to find and cut out the waterlogged sections. What else can I do with this jewel?

KM4ASH Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2014 22:22 Send this review to a friend
No Regrets  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In aviation I have used many a type of test equipment designed for McDonnell-Douglas and Boeing products - this one, in effectiveness, design and function - rivals some of the more intuitively designed devices I have worked with.

The statements on poor nature of the battery door I do not find so. I do not find the battery door troublesome - it is of a different color than the body - so maybe it was re-designed.

I agree with wishing for a protective case/cover similar to a fluke meter style. The nylon, clear front case which comes with the device is poor of design and effectiveness.

The batteries seem good enough. The battery charger is ok except for the plug, as others stated, it is of european power standard, with a slide-on US adapter - this adapter did not lock in place and would literally drop off of the plug. Problem solved by cutting plug off and replacing with a standard US style available at any electrical supply.

Durability? Yes, could be improved. A Flukemeter style cover would go a good way towards such improvement.

Overall? Good design. Wise purchase.

Craig - KM4ASH

WA7KGX Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2014 04:07 Send this review to a friend
Interesting device  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Except for the battery related issues, this is a great device. Ham Radio Outlet is selling the 600 MHz unit at a modest discount.

Mine came with Varta NiMh batteries, a Konnoc charger, a cord with a 220 volt European plug, and an adapter for US wall sockets. The charger runs on 110 to 240 vac. Unfortunately, the supplied power cord doesn't quite fit the battery charger. The adapter does fit the power cord, but it does not fit tightly and you will soon lose it. Not a show stopper for me as I had a spare cord laying around that fits the charger and my wall sockets nicely.

I wouldn't worry about the physical durability of the device. Worry instead about zapping the RF section with wayward RF.

You have to read the manual to find some of the subtle things you can do with this device.

When attached to a computer it appears as another serial port. It has a simple protocol that can be used to record SWR scans with many points, way way more than the default 80. I did one scan with 1000 points.

The signal level used is lower than with some other analyzers. This may cause problems in urban areas with lots of strong TV, FM, and other signals floating around.

The unit is pricey, but several hams or a club could share one as it would not be needed constantly.

KE5JL Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2014 13:53 Send this review to a friend
First use, solved a major problem.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since I virtually agree with previous reviews - including battery compartment weaknesses - so I'll skip the technical goodies.

My first adventure with the AA-600 was to try to tune my home made, inductively shortened dipole. SWR readings were all over the place. Major disappointment... My AA-600 however was telling me something important but I wasn't listening!

Next day after taking the balun out of the system I was getting great SWR readings. The light bulb went off and I opened the balun case to find a broken solder joint. A quick repair and now I have a nicely tuned short dipole in my cramped attic, thanks to the AA-600.

I have never tried other analyzers but have a hard time imagining one easier to use and interpret.

KC0KW Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2014 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Amazing unit, very accurate  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Wow if you can afford it or do a lot of antenna work this is a wonderful unit. I have checked it with some very expensive lab gear and it is a very precise piece of test gear. For me the best feature is how easy it is to use. I also like the ability to save a file for latter reference. This is a very nice unit and makes analyzing an antenna system easy.

JBAR Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2014 04:38 Send this review to a friend
First Impressions: A Great Analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this yesterday. Very intuitive for SWR and impedance. Beyond that, interpreting the results requires knowledge and studying a book like ARRL's "Understanding your Antenna Analyzer" or checking the web.

Love the color LCD. Well worth the under $600 price because it supports HF all the way up to 70cm and beyond. Definitely get rechargeable NiMh batteries because it will drain Alkaline batteries pretty fast. Also, note that the unit comes with N connector and not SO-259.

AE7ZL Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2013 22:22 Send this review to a friend
Lovin' it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this unit after having a poor experience with a CAA-500. It's great. I am in telecomm and have done commercial radio for thirty years and I regret not having this all that time. It worked great out of the box, intuitive for me at least there is nothing I wanted to do that it hasn't done yet. And it does things so nicely I just might sit down and see how it all works.

The display is very good in bright light and low light levels. The controls are tactile and the response is very fast.

So far I love the TDR and the SWR sweeps. Changing the frequency and range of the sweeps is fast and easy. I havn't even played with the software but I have examined and tuned every antenna I have and I am soliciting to help other hams with their antennas.

I'm just wondering how I'm going to justify getting the AA-1000 to the wife.