Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Antenna 6-80 Meter EzMilitary system Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Antenna 6-80 Meter EzMilitary system
Alpha Antenna 6-80 Meter EzMilitary system Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $299
Description: 6-80 meter tactical 500 watt multi-band antenna system that fits in a 16x4x4 inch go bag.
More info: http://AlphaAntenna.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Antenna 6-80 Meter EzMilitary system.

KK8ZZ Rating: 0/5 Sep 19, 2017 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Run, do not walk, from these dogs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Two years ago, I made the mistake of purchasing both the "mobile" and the "portable military" versions of this antenna whose matching units were made by gluing them into cheap Home Depot Schedule 40 PVC plastic pipe base painted flat black. Trying mobile first, I immediately discovered that the antenna -- fastened in the same Diamond 400 mount as my previous Little Tarheel -- had anywhere from 3 to 5 S-Units LOWER receiving operation than the other antenna (yes, same grounding, same connections, etc.)... made a few contacts, but.... and the amazingly CHEAP whip they send is so thin that it bends backwards enough to scrape the windshields of the cars traveling behind me. Still trusting the eHam reviews and having purchased a new travel trailer for a two-month long Canadian journey through rare Grid Squares, I bought the cursed "military" setup... attached to an Alpha-Delta Outpost tripod stand, with the ground and "counterpoise" attached, I found reception with a new Icom IC-7100 FAR below what even a simple long wire provided later. And their "military" whip was so cheap it bent over like a wet noodle... shame on you, Alpha....So.. took both of these losers to Dayton/Xenia this spring and took more than a 50% loss before I could finally unload them... and felt guilty at that, but the buyers bought both antennas at "close-out" prices, so... When I complained at the Alpha Antennas booth inside, one of the staff offered me a "lifetime 20% discount" on their new version, but as it is often said, "why throw good money after bad?" .. Remember that wet noodles and light bulbs will radiate SOME signals, but they're not great antennas. And these are not "good" antennas. Use your own best judgement, but remember that all things are not necessarily what they are advertised to be...

KA0SOG Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2017 01:50 Send this review to a friend
Works Great and simple  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this to take to scout camp last summer. Deployed easy and had CONUS on most bands and at less than 2:1! I cheated a little I live only a few miles away from their HQ so I picked it up myself to avoid shipping. Components are well made not out of cheap materials. Friendly hams run the company. This will hold up well for years to come. My previous scout camp antenna was a fan dipole that I had to suspend from the trees. Boy is this an improvement!

KD2FTA Rating: 4/5 Apr 1, 2017 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Update to past review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After using the Alpha EZ 6-80 portable antenna for a while now Iím updating my past review.

My first impression overall still remains the same. The quality of the material can still be improved tremendously given the overall value proposition, however Iíd like to go beyond that. Iíve used the antenna as a portable set up now in several locations, and will focus on the overall performance.

I would give the system a 4 overall for performance based on the contacts Iíve made.
The solar cycle hasnít been favorable in the 6, 10, or 15 meter bands lately. It would be unfair to Alpha knowing that even permanent installations using amplified power are at times hard pressed to make decent contacts given the conditions. So the results are good on those bands with the cards mother nature is dealing right now.

On 17, 20, and 40 meters the antenna has produced good results with some long-range DX contacts made on good propagation days. Iíve worked Italy, and South America, and even the west coast of the U.S when the bands are open.

Operating on 80 meters is still a challenge without additional radials or a NVIS kit (which I didnít purchase), so fair to good results have been achieved regionally when Iíve operated on 80 meters.

The whip still drives me ďnutsĒ at times when I see my SWR go from nearly a perfect match to 1.5 to 1 for apparently no reason at all until I check out the whip. It only happens when the connectivity between pole segments is lost. Sometimes the radio will not tune at all, and I correct the issue by rotating the segments so that contact is made. Overall for a weekend camp out or a day long SOTA hike, itís a good system.

KG7OOM Rating: 1/5 Mar 12, 2017 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Sorry but it is below subpar  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wasted my money on this. I have gotten over it but honestly, this is way overpriced for some PVC and wire you can get at the big box store.

The attention to detail is poor and the labeling on the bag was peeling off when I received it. I much rather pay the for the parts (at a lower price) or buy the instructions and build it myself with a better-looking product in the end.

I have never ever got any reception that was worth the price I paid for it. No contacts made with it despite what I've done to set it up. I am aware some folks have better luck but honestly, this kit is garbage. There is nothing military about it. Do not know of any military unit or country using this. If you do, let me know.

The quality of the materials is subpar. I had to make some adjustments to the whip as the base/screw set-up was stripped. For what I paid, I should not be doing anything to it but just install and go to my rig in search of contacts.

There are videos out there with good/bad receptions. You must do your homework and decide for yourself but be very cautious.

Good luck!

KC3RW Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2017 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Great   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this antenna to help the YL in her pursuit of National Parks on the Air (NPOTA) activator. This was a great ARRL sponsored event and she hit over 292 parks. The antenna was great she worked mostly 80 to 10m SSB with great results, we were often asked what antenna we were using. This was the most back pack portable antenna set up we had.
The greatest asset was its ability to be put up and torn down in seconds. Which aided greatly in moving from park to park so quickly. Customer service was great you can ask these guys any questions.

YV5EMG Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2016 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Work for me, and work excelent.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Apart from the negative comments that have circulated on the network, especially on YouTube, from several colleagues who compare the Alpha EZ Military Antenna with another Brand. Comparing the quality of the antenna .. (I have used it in all types of environments, Beach, mountain, forests, etc. and what I see are the results obtained by me, and all are excellent. , qso with all my country (I live in Venezuela, South America), contacts with Europe, Africa, Argentina, USA, Chile, etc. from 40 to 10 mts. on all modes. This is a commitment antenna, an emergency antenna, for field trips and rapid deployment, and fulfills that task perfectly. I give 5 points.

KD9JJG Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2016 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Great sturdy antenna and fantastic customer service!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am a relatively new operator (since May 2015). Being involved in the Boy Scouts teaching emergency preparedness, part of which is EmCom, I wanted to get into amateur radio. Did the class, took the test, passed! Picked up an IC7200, all the necessary equipment. Now all I needed was an antenna. I did not want anything expensive, yet good quality and portable. So off to you tube I went. Found the channel "Videos by Mike". A pleasant guy from Florida. He touted the ease of use, the portability, and all in all good quality of a fledgling company producing military style whip antennas. After watching numerous videos by Mike and others, consulting Elmers, this seemed the way to go. So I purchased a 6-80 Alpha Military bundle (tripod, clamp, match, carry bag, etc.). The ease of set up, for a new ham like me, was simple. Took all of about 5 minutes. Hooked the coax, tuned it with LDG100, and bingo! On the air I was! All was well, making contacts globally. Now here is where Amateur Radio Supply and Steve really shine. I was planning to do the Scouts' Jamboree on the air (10-14/15/16-2016). While doing routine maintenance and tear down for the jamboree, I noticed there was fluid (water) in the match - ugh. I emailed Steve and he got back to me that night (Thur 10-13) at 9:30 p.m.! WOW, I thought, what other company does that? The owner emails back at night on the same day?!? He apologized for the faulty match, explained the issue and told me he/they would happily replace the match as it was a flaw in the first run of that particular one. In just one week, the new upgraded match was at my door! Hooked it up and I was back on the air. So here"s to you Steve and the crew at Amateur Radio Supply - great product, fantastic customer service - THEY STAND BEHIND THIER PRODUCT AND TAKE PRIDE IN THIER WORK! I will promote them and their company/products with a smile.

AC0HA Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I meet Steve at the QRP conference in Branson MO. While talking with him I asked about the 6-80 Ezmilitary Antenna. I wanted one for the use for ARES Emergency Operations during disasters. After talking to him I decided to purchase the antenna. I took the antenna home and deployed it as I would in a disaster. I was amazed at the number of the contacts I was able to make since the antenna was deployed on a 3 foot stand. I was using the metal whip that came with the unit and made contacts on all the bands listed with the antenna. I took Steve"s advice and purchased the 60' Emcomm Element and again deployed the system for Field Day. The antenna performed flawlessly and I was blown away by the contacts that we were able to make all up and down the bands. By the end of field day we had logged over 1600 contacts with this antenna paired with my Yaesu 857D. We did use a tuner on 80 meters on SUM of the contacts where the SWR's were close to 3. We didn't, however,ever see an SWR above 2.5 but the tuner made that match a little better. All in All I have to say this antenna is an asset to any go bag or emergency radio deployment kit.

NO8P Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2016 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Great portable antenna system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The East River Amateur Radio Club W8MOP used the Alpha E Z Military system at this years Mercer County Fair in Princeton, WV. held on August 5 and 6 this year. The radio used was my Kenwood TS 590 SG, stock mic and no amp was used. Band conditions were quite terrible but even with that, the EZ Military system performed as advertised. Actually even better than that. We had contacts from florida, Missouri, Georgia,Arizona, New Jersey, and Green Bay Wisconsin, and a station from Northern Idaho. The Idaho station told me he was approx. 30 miles from the Canadian border...a 5/7 signal report from him. The Missouri station gave us a 5/9 signal report and said we were "Booming"in to his station. This product is truly amazing in performance, it takes less than 5 min. to deploy and is made with the finest material and workmanship. The E Z Military antenna will be perfect to use at field day or any demonstration event for Ham radio. My Kenwood 590SG was set for 95 watts for most of the day, at times we used 70 watts. I also had the antenna on the 6 ft. tripod that can also be purchased from the fine folks that make this product. If you would happen to have any questions about this system, Steve and his staff are more than willing and certainly able to handle any questions you may have. We are going to help the local Boy Scout club JOTA this year and our ERARC is very anxious to deploy the A Z military system there. So much so several (at least 8) club members are seriously considering purchasing their own A Z antenna system themselves. My personal call is NO8P and I highly recommend the A Z Military System. Great price for an even Greater product.

N7XLR Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2016 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Follow up review  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up to my negative review below. It turned out my antenna was still under warranty. And it was only the Alpha Match that broke. The whip and clamp were still good. Alpha Antenna contacted me about it, and wound up sending me a complete new antenna, including the whip, jaw clamp, and bag, which were all still good. But it gets better. They sent me a new improved version of the Alpha Match, made out of thick solid machined aluminum. All metal, no PVC. I just went out and put it up, and it appears to be working great. Already made a contact on 10 meters. I want to give kudos to this company. They take care of their customers. The new Alpha Match should make this one of the best portable antennas out there. And their customer service is second to none. While I just got it, I don't see it breaking anytime soon, if ever. Very professionally made. Thanks again Alpha Antenna, I would not hesitate to recommend this antenna to anyone. Jerry, N7XLR.