Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Antenna 6-80 Meter EzMilitary system Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Antenna 6-80 Meter EzMilitary system
Alpha Antenna 6-80 Meter EzMilitary system Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $299
Description: 6-80 meter tactical 500 watt multi-band antenna system that fits in a 16x4x4 inch go bag.
More info: http://AlphaAntenna.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Antenna 6-80 Meter EzMilitary system.

KD2FTA Rating: 2/5 Nov 25, 2016 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Over Hyped  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Over Hyped
I bought this antenna with the extendable tripod, to work as a portable operation in a restricted size lot. All the reports on E-Ham and couple of video reports on line pointed to a decent design and easy setup which is exactly what I was looking for.

I run totally barefoot using 50 ft of coax, and purchased the option with the 3 radial (counterpoise) sections of wire, along with the tripod. I didn’t purchase the ENCOMM extended wire provided as an option.

Although my intent was never to use this as a survival portable set up for any kind of expeditionary activities, I would agree with some of OH8STN’s comments, and observations.

The manual provided is poorly written. The material used to create the trans match is poor, the product quality is fair given that nearly all of the components can be purchased and built by an amateur over a weekend if desired. The tripod is the only item you can’t build on your own, and the threaded knob on the very top of the tripod can be “bent” if the trans match is subjected to any impacts. So for use as a temporary portable antenna system I rate this system as poor. This system wouldn't meet any Mil specs I can think of, so I wish Alpha would stop advertising it as an EZ military system.

Physics can’t be cheated, so as others have commented a decent operating antenna between 10 and 20 meters, poor on 40 meters, and dismal on 80 meters as I have it configured. If you want to work the lower bands, add lots more radials, or save yourself money and purchase an end fed antenna for portable operations.
Final thought, not worth the money, but also not a “gimmick”, just be aware that you’re limited by Physics especially in poor propagation.

KD9JJG Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2016 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Great sturdy antenna and fantastic customer service!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am a relatively new operator (since May 2015). Being involved in the Boy Scouts teaching emergency preparedness, part of which is EmCom, I wanted to get into amateur radio. Did the class, took the test, passed! Picked up an IC7200, all the necessary equipment. Now all I needed was an antenna. I did not want anything expensive, yet good quality and portable. So off to you tube I went. Found the channel "Videos by Mike". A pleasant guy from Florida. He touted the ease of use, the portability, and all in all good quality of a fledgling company producing military style whip antennas. After watching numerous videos by Mike and others, consulting Elmers, this seemed the way to go. So I purchased a 6-80 Alpha Military bundle (tripod, clamp, match, carry bag, etc.). The ease of set up, for a new ham like me, was simple. Took all of about 5 minutes. Hooked the coax, tuned it with LDG100, and bingo! On the air I was! All was well, making contacts globally. Now here is where Amateur Radio Supply and Steve really shine. I was planning to do the Scouts' Jamboree on the air (10-14/15/16-2016). While doing routine maintenance and tear down for the jamboree, I noticed there was fluid (water) in the match - ugh. I emailed Steve and he got back to me that night (Thur 10-13) at 9:30 p.m.! WOW, I thought, what other company does that? The owner emails back at night on the same day?!? He apologized for the faulty match, explained the issue and told me he/they would happily replace the match as it was a flaw in the first run of that particular one. In just one week, the new upgraded match was at my door! Hooked it up and I was back on the air. So here"s to you Steve and the crew at Amateur Radio Supply - great product, fantastic customer service - THEY STAND BEHIND THIER PRODUCT AND TAKE PRIDE IN THIER WORK! I will promote them and their company/products with a smile.

AC0HA Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I meet Steve at the QRP conference in Branson MO. While talking with him I asked about the 6-80 Ezmilitary Antenna. I wanted one for the use for ARES Emergency Operations during disasters. After talking to him I decided to purchase the antenna. I took the antenna home and deployed it as I would in a disaster. I was amazed at the number of the contacts I was able to make since the antenna was deployed on a 3 foot stand. I was using the metal whip that came with the unit and made contacts on all the bands listed with the antenna. I took Steve"s advice and purchased the 60' Emcomm Element and again deployed the system for Field Day. The antenna performed flawlessly and I was blown away by the contacts that we were able to make all up and down the bands. By the end of field day we had logged over 1600 contacts with this antenna paired with my Yaesu 857D. We did use a tuner on 80 meters on SUM of the contacts where the SWR's were close to 3. We didn't, however,ever see an SWR above 2.5 but the tuner made that match a little better. All in All I have to say this antenna is an asset to any go bag or emergency radio deployment kit.

NO8P Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2016 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Great portable antenna system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The East River Amateur Radio Club W8MOP used the Alpha E Z Military system at this years Mercer County Fair in Princeton, WV. held on August 5 and 6 this year. The radio used was my Kenwood TS 590 SG, stock mic and no amp was used. Band conditions were quite terrible but even with that, the EZ Military system performed as advertised. Actually even better than that. We had contacts from florida, Missouri, Georgia,Arizona, New Jersey, and Green Bay Wisconsin, and a station from Northern Idaho. The Idaho station told me he was approx. 30 miles from the Canadian border...a 5/7 signal report from him. The Missouri station gave us a 5/9 signal report and said we were "Booming"in to his station. This product is truly amazing in performance, it takes less than 5 min. to deploy and is made with the finest material and workmanship. The E Z Military antenna will be perfect to use at field day or any demonstration event for Ham radio. My Kenwood 590SG was set for 95 watts for most of the day, at times we used 70 watts. I also had the antenna on the 6 ft. tripod that can also be purchased from the fine folks that make this product. If you would happen to have any questions about this system, Steve and his staff are more than willing and certainly able to handle any questions you may have. We are going to help the local Boy Scout club JOTA this year and our ERARC is very anxious to deploy the A Z military system there. So much so several (at least 8) club members are seriously considering purchasing their own A Z antenna system themselves. My personal call is NO8P and I highly recommend the A Z Military System. Great price for an even Greater product.

N7XLR Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2016 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Follow up review  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up to my negative review below. It turned out my antenna was still under warranty. And it was only the Alpha Match that broke. The whip and clamp were still good. Alpha Antenna contacted me about it, and wound up sending me a complete new antenna, including the whip, jaw clamp, and bag, which were all still good. But it gets better. They sent me a new improved version of the Alpha Match, made out of thick solid machined aluminum. All metal, no PVC. I just went out and put it up, and it appears to be working great. Already made a contact on 10 meters. I want to give kudos to this company. They take care of their customers. The new Alpha Match should make this one of the best portable antennas out there. And their customer service is second to none. While I just got it, I don't see it breaking anytime soon, if ever. Very professionally made. Thanks again Alpha Antenna, I would not hesitate to recommend this antenna to anyone. Jerry, N7XLR.

K9CIZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2016 11:05 Send this review to a friend
4.5/5 - Was good, then they did better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back when I operated, I used electical grease on the elements inserts to ensure continuity. The MilStick whip and Counterpoise would connect to the Alpha Match that sits on the Jaw Mount, which all deployed quickly from the 16 inch bag, to form an ingeniously designed OCF dipole. Once deployed, it would consistently out perform other similar systems when compared on an A/B switch, which is likely because the 13 foot element is the longest ALUMINUM whip that is included as a standard configuration of any portable system. The whole antenna system even repackaged easily back into the 16 inch bag! I learned this system could even operate mobile with a 5 foot whip and that it could be an EndFed antenna that requires no antenna tuner be used. Overall, I experienced only fast/good technical support from Alpha, where never did I hear a negative word, even when given the opportunity. In the end, this system was a better performer than my G5RV, but it didn't out perform my 20 and 40 meter fan dipole between two trees at 30 feet. So, if you set your expectations appropriately, then you'll likely rate this antenna a 5/5, but the only affordable alternative that would likely exceed my 4.5/5 expectations/experience is the Alpha Multiband system. If you've not gotten a chance to see it, then it would serve you well to go to their web site and take a look at the well written technical manual.

WA7SGS Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2016 16:16 Send this review to a friend
FD 2016 showed how well the antenna would work  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Having bought the Alpha EZ Military with the NVIS wire and then adding the 80m 60' wire, I wondered how FD 2016 would go.

At 5:30 PM PT, with no one on 80m other than a casual state net with most members being in the Willamette Valley and me being in the Oregon Coast's biggest radio hole (Port Orford), I successfully completed a 5x8 QSO with an operator in Cottage Grove. Had I been set up for emcomm in my home QTH of North Bend, this result projects into a successful contact with the state EOC in Salem.

As funny as it sounds, my shortest QSO was the one that made me the happiest! The antenna system performed as well as I hoped. On 20m and 40m I also was able to make contact with Alaska, Alberta, Southern California and Ohio. The power being used was 50W with the radio being a Kenwood TS-50. Power came from an Aspect Solar 300 unit.

WB2MSB Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2016 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Fast set up and it works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using the alpha EZ military vertical for about a month now. On my deck, at the beach and in the woods. With and without the counterpoise. Set on a 5ft metal mast and just clamped to a wooden fence. With a Yeasu FT450d most bands are tunable with the internal tuner down to 1.2 or better. A few frequencies needed an external tuner but also got down to 1.1 or 1.3. The best idea I had (though it may be obvious to smarter Hams than me) is that I purchased some 3/8-24 wing nuts to use with the mounting bolt instead of the plain nut (which I kept dropping). I carry this antenna in my go box along with a 40m end fed Zep, but the Alpha EZ works better in most situations. They should make the bag a little bigger to allow easier packing and some room for a coax.

AJ4VC Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2016 08:54 Send this review to a friend
impressed by quality of materials, easy setup and performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for an antenna system that is quick and easy to deploy, a good performer and made of quality materials. The Alpha 6-80M EzMilitary Gold system meets all requirements and more! I plan to use the antenna system primarily for camping trips as well as Field Day activities. I have just begun to use the antenna system and early results are most encouraging. I like the ability to configure multiple antenna systems from this one compact package. Also, I must mention that reception using this system is fantastic. I plan to add a follow-up review once I have used the system more. Finally, and importantly, you will not find better customer service than that found with Steve. He is readily available to answer any questions you may have and shipment is very timely via USPS Priority Mail.

K4OKI Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2016 12:47 Send this review to a friend
My 11 year old set it up and worked a DX PILE-UP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna system can be set up numerous ways depending on what you want to do, whether you want to work local HF, call DX or just get on the air and make contacts. The other plus to the antenna system is the versatility it offers depending on the environment you are operating in. It is easy to transport, set up, use and pack back up when you are done with it. Yes the components actually fit back in the bag. You don't need to fight with it, running the risk of damaging things.

My 11 year old daughter set the antenna up by herself in about 5 minutes and she was on the air (with me by her side). In moments she was working a mini pileup (it lasted a solid 15 minutes before she needed a break... She actually had to call her Grandpa to tell him all about "her pile-up"). She was beyond excited! Most of the stations coming back to her were Switzerland, Romania, Russia, Poland, Czech Republic as well as Argentina and Bonaire Island. The antenna performed as described and advertised.

My experience with customer service was top notch when I called and placed my order.