Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cushcraft Trick-Stick Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft Trick-Stick
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $9.95
Description: Collapsable, aluminum tubing dipole (2 telescoping sections) either side of the center insulator. A 2 1/2 foot mounting arm also attached to the center insulator. This 1970 vintage antenna would cover from below CB (possibly 12m)thru 6 meters with either vertical or horizontal polarization.

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft Trick-Stick.

KD2JF Rating: 3/5 Oct 25, 2014 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Decent 10/11M vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my trick-stick at Lafeyette around 1970. It was sold as a do-all dipole that was mast mounted ,option for either horizontal or vertical mounting. It was not DC grounded just a plain old aluminum dipole that was just long enough to adjust for 10/11 meters. I mounted mine vertical and fed it with rg-58 about 25ft. On CB it worked about as well as a quarter wave ground plane but took up much less space. The poor mans half wave but it worked well for me as a teenager.

W9MT Rating: 4/5 Aug 19, 2013 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Cheap and it worked !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It was nothing special, just a cheap dipole that I mounted on a heavy wooden base. I extended its arms out to the middle of the 10m AM band (29MHz) in 1970 afternoons after coming home from high school. I finished operating in time for supper @ 6pm, when the band was closing anyway, and retracted and stowed the antenna before the old man came home from work.

The price was right for a poor high school sophomore who just upgraded to General and was using his Heathkit Cheyenne (MT-1) to yak on phone for the first time.

It sat right behind my chair and filled the bedroom shack with RF which bit my lip off of the desk mike until I learned the wisdom of proper grounding techniques.

But hey, it got me on the air and taught me how to aspire for and build much better antennas for OUTSIDE of the house.

It was the most fun ten bucks would buy this 17 year old kid.

I haven't seen another one ever since.