Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cushcraft R9 vertical Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft R9 vertical Antenna
Cushcraft R9 vertical Antenna Reviews: 12 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $639.00
Description: Vertical Antenna, 6 thru 80 meters

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft R9 vertical Antenna.

KC1ACF Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2016 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: months
Review of the Cushcraft R-9 multiband vertical. By KC1ACF mark Vess
After searching for several months for a multiband vertical, I began to look at the Cushcraft R-9. I found a number of reviews on it but they were either disappointing or incomplete with only a few extoling the virtues of this antenna. I wanted to have a vertical multiband with no ground radials for our club Field Day up high in the air and not on the ground. This is the tallest of all 80M thru 10M verticals. This is the antenna for the job! The R-9 assembled easily over several days with some patients and scrutinizing of the manual. The antenna was installed on an 18 foot long car trailer with a winch, a base hinge and an aluminum 20 foot tower. Six feet of 2 multi-wall mast connects the antenna to the tower. Two sets of guy lines on the tower and above the vertical traps keep things aligned during wind gusts. This is a must have!
The Cushcraft R-9 was a match on all bands right out of the box by following the assembly instructions carefully! I used Vernier calipers in two sizes to set it up. I made no adjustments to this antenna. All bands, 80, 40, 20, and ten were close to 1 to 1.1 and less than two. The analyzer arrives tomorrow to finalize tuning but so far I have enjoyed all good contacts from eastern USA, Canada, Saint Croy and Italy. I have used a 270 Buckmaster 9 band OCF dipole for years and an ongoing A/B comparison shows the R-9 equaling or surpassing the Buckmaster on 40M and 20M. The R-9 excels on 10M and is a couple of Dbs below the Buckmaster on 75/80M. I have yet to try 6M, 12M, 15M, 17M, and 30M. This is a great antenna overall and it truly works on all the main bands so far. Stay tuned for the results on the other bands. Mark, KC1ACF

KG7VEJ Rating: 1/5 Apr 29, 2016 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Finally Got the Parts  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In my review, "Poor Customer Service" I commented on MFJ Enterprise's lack of responsibility to the customer. Thanks to Mike Kaufman, K6VCI, who read my review and suggested I file a mail fraud complaint, I finally received replacements for the broken parts I mentioned. I never actually filed a complaint; I only had to let the company know of my intent. Many thanks, Mike. Without your suggestion, I'd still be in limbo!

N4BAM Rating: 3/5 Apr 2, 2016 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Missing Parts, Etc.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the R9 awhile ago but didn't put it up because I had to move. I finaling started on it yesterday and found that some parts were missing as well as one the long stubs was not cut at both ends as required.

Submitted a ticket this morning and will let you know how it is handled as well as how the tuning/performance goes as I finish the install.

One question is can I tune this on the ground on wood work horses horizontally before I mount it to the mast and raise it? I have an RigExpert 1000.

Also I've read almost everywhere the mast needs to be less than 25' so plan on some length between 15 to 22 feet for your mast.

WA6ED Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2016 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Works great, nothing missing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works great, I made contact from Lake Forest, CA to Buffalo, NY on 40 meters the first night. I spent several hours playing around with an AA-600 analyzer making adjustments. It was very educational for me. A section in the manual on tuning would be really nice though.

I managed to break one of the smaller hose clamps by tightening it too hard. This was totally my fault. So be careful tightening the small clamps. I used Burndy Penetrox A zinc compound on the aluminum joints. One of the plastic parts had a hole too small. So, I had to drill it larger with a drill press and clamps. This was no big deal for me. But, this could have been a showstopper for some folks.

I had a used R7 without guying for over a year with no problem. Guying the R9 is required. Don't buy this antenna unless you guy it! If your antenna breaks and you did not guy it, do not write bad reviews here.

KK7DY Rating: 0/5 Jan 11, 2016 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Quality control?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I never got past Step One of the build because I was short so many critical components. I'm not about to spend weeks on the phone with MFJ ordering missing parts (stub end radials, capacitive hats, traps) that were missing from my kit. I just don't need the aggravation. I boxed everything up and am taking it back to HRO. Also, the plastic components don't stand a chance against the Arizona sun.

W4BZU Rating: 0/5 Nov 9, 2015 07:02 Send this review to a friend
VERY POOR Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased an R9 for use at a customer locations HF disaster station. The first one failed during a ice storm. That I can understand, but the replacement that was ordered to get them back on the air has been a nightmare! When I received the "New" antenna and went through the parts list to check it off, we found one of the traps "ratteled" badly and it was also missing several other parts. I called MFJ/Cushcraft and they sent the replacement parts. Went back to work putting it together only to find that some of the brackets that were in the original box were the wrong size!. When I called them back I got the response, "Oh, must have been in the wrong bin". What the heck happened to good old quality control? When you pay this much for an antenna that is nothing more than a box of scrap parts, I would at the very least expect to get the RIGHT scrap parts! I can assure you this will be the LAST Cushcraft product I purchase!

IZ0GPP Rating: 2/5 Dec 17, 2014 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Updates  Time owned: more than 12 months
After one year of operation i'm sad to report a damage due to the very poor materials used. The matching box failed (probably for the continous exposure to weather conditions, but it should be projected for that!) and it has been impossible to use the antenna anymore. I can say that the antenna system is absolutely efficient in terms of performace but the very bad quality of the materials used makes it a short term usage tool.

W2LGA Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2014 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Meets all expectations  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this antenna over a year now .. Reports received are great and have made QSO's all over the world and US. Mounted 15' up and guyed (which is a must!!!) SWR's stay below 1.4:1 on all except 80 which is around 1.9:1. Overall very happy with the item and seems to work well with my IC746pro.

K2TTM Rating: 3/5 Jan 9, 2014 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I put up my new R9 in spring hoping to add to the DX count. I took it down in September after about 6 months because my OCF Windom (6 - 80 meters) worked as well as, or better than, the R9 most of the time. There was also an intermittent very high SWR issue on 40 & 80 meters that I never got under control. Maybe it my location, terrain etc., or maybe it was unrealistic expectations from a vertical, either way, it's now down and ready to be sold.

JY5FX Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2013 07:55 Send this review to a friend
the best antenna ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you tune the antenna on 2meters above the ground before putting it up on your roof then you have the best vertical antenna just tune it before and read the manual 2 to 3 times
good luck