Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Powerwerx DB-750 Help

Reviews Summary for Powerwerx DB-750
Powerwerx DB-750 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $299.00
Description: Dual band VHF/UHF, 750 channel commercial transceiver with
10 memory banks. Freq. range: 136-174, 400-490 MHz. 50W VHF,
40W UHF power output, Single Receive or True Dual Receive
(V+V, U+U, V+U), Optional Remote Head Mounting Kit. Part 90
certified.
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com/two-way-radios/mobile-radios/db-750x-dual-band-commercial-mobile.html

You can write your own review of the Powerwerx DB-750.

W6YDE Rating: 3/5 Apr 4, 2015 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Difficult at best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hello, I own two of these Powerwerx DB-750X VHF/UHF transceivers, purchased from a ham convention. I purchased one to use in my garage and the other to run mobile.

You will need the software to unlock the radio and program it. An additional cost not listed or mentioned at time of purchase.

The radio are impossible to run mobile while driving. There is no squelch pot or knob. The squelch is controlled by a menu. Access to this menu is by way of a push button the is located right next to or very close to the volume. This push button is 1/8" square and recessed. You will need a ball point pen or some other device to push it in to access the menu setup function, each time you what to adjust the squelch. If you accidentally push the wrong button or grab the microphone to hard and push a button, there is a 90% chance that you will lock up the radio or change the frequency. You will need to reconnect it to a computer and the software program to clear the problem. Microphone push to talk button is very hard to keep depressed and the microphone cord is too short and if you turn your head, you will pull the microphone out of your hand.

You will need to adjust the squelch often, during a simplex mobile to mobile contact... because these transceiver pick up ever traffic light's "mother board" controller, every gas station's telemetry and taxi cab you pass. I can't believe that this transceiver was not beta tested in a mobile application, before it release.

My garage transceiver lost its final in a short time and the manufacturer would not believe me, when I called for a return authorization. Manufacturer blamed the problem of no RF output on everything from the antenna to faulty coax and connectors, plus my inability to operate the transceiver correctly. I returned the transceiver and they repaired it without any written reply or comment.

If you only have $350 to spend and like or need this kind of rig, then go for it. If you want something that works right out of the box and with a squelch knob, do a little more looking around.

K6MIB Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2015 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Some quick points for people having problems or complaining, this is a commercial radio that does ham freqs. I have not seen a single advertisement for it that does not clearly state you will need to software to unlock the radio so stop whining about it being locked out of the box. In the real world of commercial radio we seldom need to adjust squelch, that is why there is no squelch knob, if you are not running decode PL then just set it high enough to block background noise, if you need to constanly adjust it then it is not set right.

Customer service from powerwerx is great, I have made two calls so far, both resolved in less than 5 minutes
1. you set the tone encode and decode and then in another column you have to tell the radio to be in the ctcss/dcs "mode" to use those tone settings.
2. (my fault) could not figure out how to put in a receive only freq, turns out a little farther over on the programming screen there is a transmit inhibit check box, easy
3. the ticking noise / interference when scanning on one side, solution, use as short a remote cable as possible and use CAT6 shielded cable, problem solved.

KB1CU Rating: 1/5 Oct 9, 2014 15:35 Send this review to a friend
Cheap Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio just over a year. Just long enough so it is out of warranty. Major programing difficulty, easy to make errors. Display has many colors but none are bright enough to see in daylight. Impossible to program from front panel. However, the main reason I think its crap. The warranty ran out 1 month ago. The VHF transmitter failed at all power levels. I called Powerwerx service, they were very nice but couldn't repair it in the states. Their solution was to have me send the radio back to them with $240 dollars and they would send me another one.
It took me all of 30 seconds to realize that $240 was better spent towards a Kenwood or Icom. But if you do buy one I have the RT systems software and programing cable for $20 (cost $50)

N6JSX Rating: 1/5 Sep 28, 2014 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Follow up  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
PwrX sent me a new mic and the random jumping in/out of SCAN mode is fixed. I suspect the internal mic Up/Dwn button switch is the problem.

More items I've discovered:

Programming or changing memory settings on the fly is impossible. I must use my ACER mini-NB to make any memory change. The manual is that poor.

If you want the DP750 to turn-on the same way you turned it off, you must set Hyper-Memories 1&2 'Auto Hyper Save' to ON. Or the DP750 will turn-on in VFO, ya quirky and NOT noted in the manual!

BUT NOW a mobile use KILLER issue. First, I run the DP750 only in the mobile, with left side for talking, and the right side in mem SCAN mode. The head is on the console and main body under the passenger seat.

DP750 has SEVERE RX inter-mod issue and the filtering is so bad that I've even heard passing vehicles injector or spark-plug noises that opens squelch stopping SCAN.

Another issue that is more an operational nuisance and OS miss. When I key the left side to talk the right side SCAN mutes & stops (and that is OK). But when I unkey the mic, SCAN does not resume, I must push the right side SCAN button again. I can now reach down knowing the second top button from the right is SCAN so I do not need to take my eyes off the road.

Due to this DP750 RX inter-mod problem-failure, the DP750 is getting pulled from my SUV and a FT8800 will take its place. I got what I paid for - a cheap radio with a cheap poorly tested operational design.

The DP750 is clearly ONLY a BASE mobile with a BIG FAT mic! Audio reports remain GOOD.

KC9WII Rating: 2/5 Feb 26, 2014 16:51 Send this review to a friend
2 radios same prob  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one of these radios and the programming software. Everything looks good I liked the radio at the time of un package.When I got all my freq in memory I noticed bleed over from other repeaters I could hear conversations on other freq on my set vfo
freq. So I packed it up sent it back to get a exchange figuring hundreds of radios manufactured there is gonna be one bad one out there. No difference receive bleed over from several other freq. Then it got worse from there the radio locked up asking for a pin code to enter programming mode which was never set up with me from the start. The positive to all this is powerwerx customer service is a AAA+ they worked with me to get this second one returned.

KC2ZKI Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2014 14:21 Send this review to a friend
A lot of radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the software and cable with this unit directly from Powerwerx. Bottom line, itís a great radio for the price. Lets see how long it lasts. Iím pretty rough on radios and usually stick to Kenwood because thatís the only brand that takes a beating so far.

Here are my observations for the DB-750 so far:
A. Proís
1. I received very good audio reports.
2. I was set up and running with one VHF and one UHF channel within minutes.
3. The software is very intuitive. I finished entering the rest of my stations in about 5 minutes.
4. The radio controls are also very intuitive.
5. Each side has its own volume and power settings.
6. I like the fact that I can toggle between bands with the push of a button on the mic.
7. The blue display is perfect
8. The lighted keypad on the mic is nice and bright.
9. I also like the band indicator on the mic.
10. The PTT function is very crisp.
11. The larger mic fits really well in my hands.
12. Long QSOís (1 hour) on Med1 power setting (one down from high power) barely gets the radio mildly warm (maybe 85 degrees F). Still cool to the touch.
13. I havenít done any high powered transmitting yet. Once I get this unit in my truck, I will see how it goes.
14. The built in speaker is plenty loud. Had I known this, I would not have bought the external speaker.

B. Conís
1. I did get a report of a 60cyc hum using my power supply. This is the same power supply I use for my Kenwood V71 with no issues. The report was that the hum was barely noticeable and it wouldnít have been mentioned unless I asked. My mobile install has a separate dry cell car battery, so this shouldnít be an issue in my truck.
2. The radio comes locked. This means all of the controls on the head are locked out until you unlock them. In the software there is a radio button to uncheck which does the trick. You can also do a factory reset without the software. Not really a negative, however this info is not in the manual and a new user may get stuck on this. A simple one line sentence in the manual would prevent any frustration. Luckily I read about this here and knew what to do.
3. The software works fine. I had a little trouble entering my serial number. It seems the software doesnít want the ď-ď between number sets. Once again, a short note on the software popup indicating to enter the serial number without dashes could help a new person from getting discouraged.

4. The letter ďAĒ on the display is really weird looking. Very slanted. For instance my local repeater is AA2QD. At first I didnít realize it was my repeater call sign. Just a weird font for the letter ďAĒ. All the other letters look fine.
5. In order to use the software, you need to unplug the mic from the jack so you can use the programming cable. Not a major issue, but I got spoiled with my Kenwood having a separate programming port.

73's
Joe
kc2zki

KG7AV Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2014 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Great value for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked up a 750X to use primarily as a base station. I wanted to add UHF coverage, and this replaces a TM-281A (another great radio). Use it primarily for monitoring local repeaters and net participation. I've had great signal and voice quality reports, even when tunneling through IRLP / WINS. Pros for this user - for overall features and capabilities, great bang for the buck. Small footprint allows quick conversion between base and mobile ops. Cons for this user - the knobs could be a bit more "solid" in feel. As with any product of Chinese origin, the manual could be more robust, but Powerwerx has done a good job. I think that gives the DB-750 the edge over it's other Chinese cousins from Anytone and Wouxun.

AD8DW Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2014 22:55 Send this review to a friend
great find easy to program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just cant say enough really more bang for the buck the big three well now there,s big 4 in dual band and has wide or narrow bandwidth cool speaker mic built in there three screen choices. Well you got my vote THANKS POWERWERX AD8DW

K0RI Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Plus Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just finished programming NB VHF Public Service channels and WB Ham/WX channels. Nice radio w/good audio rcv/xmit. Some VHF NB intermod, but really can't get away from it. Scan VHF channels on left and monitor dispatch on right channel using dual audio output.
Only complaint I have is the right channel will randomly and momentarily break squelch.
Programming s/w was intuitive, quick, easy and a joy to use. Can't say that for all the programming s/w out there!

N3ZW Rating: 1/5 Dec 29, 2013 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your time or money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very poorly wriitten manual.
Couldn't get display bright enough to use in daylight.
Intermod. I have never had an intermod problem at my QTH wtih any other radio.
2 button squelch adjustment would not normaly be a problem except that you have to keep the squelch button pressed while you are turning the main knob. That makes no sense at all.
While manually deleting a memory channel and following the manual a really annoying alarm sounds. It seems whenever you press and hold the right tuning knob the alarm goes off. It does mention that in the manual but, it doesn't say what it is for. It does tell you that in order to silence it you have to turn the radio off.
Took it back to HRO and even though I felt it was defective based on the intermod problem, I had to pay a restocking fee.