Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Powerwerx DB-750 Help

Reviews Summary for Powerwerx DB-750
Powerwerx DB-750 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $299.00
Description: Dual band VHF/UHF, 750 channel commercial transceiver with
10 memory banks. Freq. range: 136-174, 400-490 MHz. 50W VHF,
40W UHF power output, Single Receive or True Dual Receive
(V+V, U+U, V+U), Optional Remote Head Mounting Kit. Part 90
certified.
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com/two-way-radios/mobile-radios/db-750x-dual-band-commercial-mobile.html

You can write your own review of the Powerwerx DB-750.

IZ3ZVO Rating: 4/5 Jun 3, 2016 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hold a unit of "Polmar DB-50M", that is a clone of Powerwerx DB-750, and both are inherently the same transceiver as Anytone AT-5888UV dual band. I hold also a unit marked as Intek HR-2040, which I use in the car whilst I keep the Polmar at home. The radio performance is the same. I have never heard the intermods that are often reported by the users of these transceivers. TX and RX audio are very good, but the minimum volume is too high, so in the night the transceiver audio RX is too high. The TX power is as declared by the producer. The manual is not very clear and some functions get discovered by trials and errors as it does not describe them properly. The AM reception in airband is usable. The scanning speed over memories is very scarce and that may be partially compensated by scanning on the two VFO simultaneously. The microphone of the unit marked Polmar is quite uncomfortable if compared with the Anytone/Intek/Crt microphone.
I believe that this transceiver is technically more than acceptable and that it has very good value given the price. For simple local QSO and repeaters activity it is fully usable without any issues both in the car and at home.
The unit I received was provided without program cable, so I built it by myself using just a piece of old lan cable with RJ-45 connector and a USB-to-TTL board found in e-commerce at less than 2$ including p&p. Here is the programming cable schematic for homebrewers: http://iz3zvo.altervista.org/build-program-cable-anytone-at-5888uv-intek-hr-2040/

KD4TWP Rating: 3/5 Jan 22, 2016 18:31 Send this review to a friend
dead  Time owned: more than 12 months
pretty much had the same complaints as most others but after 1 1/2 years the VHF transmit side of the radio has died. It does have UHF transmit. does anybody know where to find a schematic for this radio? I looked at the powerwerx site and www all I see is the manual. or does anybody know what the number of the PLL or power transistor is for this radio I cannot see it on my radio.

N6JSX Rating: 1/5 Nov 4, 2015 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Issues abound  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this DP750 in my SUV for now almost 2yrs. Recently, more things have happen that is really souring me on this radio.

1. For unknown reason the display changed color from Orange to Green.

2. I discovered CTCSS does not work or is not truly present in the 750. Discovered while Scanning when SCAN stops on distant (off PL/CTCSS) repeaters allowing audio to be heard.

3. Mic RJ45 connector has become flaky. Due to the rather short mic cord with stiff curly stretching it constantly pulls on the side mounted of the mic jack, I'm getting reports of severe mic white noise and audio drop outs. I hope I have a solution in adding a 3' CAT5 cable & RJ-adapter from the radio to the mic stopping all jack stressing keeping the RJ45 cord in a constant and fixed position eliminating all curly cord pulling on the 750 jack. The mic cord is too short for most center console to driver OPs.

Two more Scan mode program screw ups.
A. Each time you key the mic ALL scanning stops and the user must reactivate the Scan. 750 does not auto restart scan on PTT exit or keep scanning on the other side BUT SKIP the memory being used on the other side.
B. Scan to skip memory shown on the other side so the user does not get blasted with dual audio from the same memory on BOTH sides.

RX intermod is very bad, period. I frequent a repeater in Dayton 146.820 and 50mi away where I live we have a local repeater 146.835. (Both are wide coverage repeaters) Depending on where my SUV is physically, I cannot hear the other repeater when the near repeater is keyed. I've never had this issue with any other (numerous) mobiles in 35yrs. DP750 is not for mobiles but as a Base it would be good.

N6JSX Rating: 1/5 Jun 20, 2015 07:09 Send this review to a friend
A near but still a MISS  Time owned: more than 12 months
To add to my previous review and to confirm others claims.

The RX has issues with adjacent repeaters (to both at 15/20 spacing). Adjacent repeater spillover kills your intended RX (i.e. 146.820 gets swamped by 146.835 as I nearing home, blocking 146.820 RX or talking on 146.490S and getting swamped de 146.520 QSO). Just this alone is a traveling mobile killer. RX is just TOO sensitive to near frequency or near proximity signals - in-band rejection is near non-existent.

Forget long QSO's your thumb will get numb or cramp holding that ULTRA stiff mic PTT. My gosh this mic is big (biggest had mic on the market) in my big hand too. Then to have a SUPER stiff PTT and no way of changing it (disassembling the mic I found no way to alter the PTT mechanism).

On the fly memory tone/ctcss (any item) changing is virtually impossible. So keep your notebook/cable handy on trips.

The killing of other side SCAN mode on each PTT is still a nuisance!

THE ONLY redeeming factor to this radio is I get good audio and signal reports with thumb cramps.

IU0CXU Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2015 02:30 Send this review to a friend
Strong and reliable radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own the model known as Polmar DB 50-M (trade name in Italy) and for the moment there is no malfunctions or problems.
The programming software works great and seems very simple.
Good audio report.
The cooling fan driven by thermostat it's very quiet and never annoying even in a warm outside temperature!
Used combined with the Tigertronics SignaLink Usb for Echolink applications works very well.

Recommended for all those people who do not want to, rightly, overpay for a mobile radio

W6YDE Rating: 3/5 Apr 4, 2015 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Difficult at best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hello, I own two of these Powerwerx DB-750X VHF/UHF transceivers, purchased from a ham convention. I purchased one to use in my garage and the other to run mobile.

You will need the software to unlock the radio and program it. An additional cost not listed or mentioned at time of purchase.

The radio are impossible to run mobile while driving. There is no squelch pot or knob. The squelch is controlled by a menu. Access to this menu is by way of a push button the is located right next to or very close to the volume. This push button is 1/8" square and recessed. You will need a ball point pen or some other device to push it in to access the menu setup function, each time you what to adjust the squelch. If you accidentally push the wrong button or grab the microphone to hard and push a button, there is a 90% chance that you will lock up the radio or change the frequency. You will need to reconnect it to a computer and the software program to clear the problem. Microphone push to talk button is very hard to keep depressed and the microphone cord is too short and if you turn your head, you will pull the microphone out of your hand.

You will need to adjust the squelch often, during a simplex mobile to mobile contact... because these transceiver pick up ever traffic light's "mother board" controller, every gas station's telemetry and taxi cab you pass. I can't believe that this transceiver was not beta tested in a mobile application, before it release.

My garage transceiver lost its final in a short time and the manufacturer would not believe me, when I called for a return authorization. Manufacturer blamed the problem of no RF output on everything from the antenna to faulty coax and connectors, plus my inability to operate the transceiver correctly. I returned the transceiver and they repaired it without any written reply or comment.

If you only have $350 to spend and like or need this kind of rig, then go for it. If you want something that works right out of the box and with a squelch knob, do a little more looking around.

K6MIB Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2015 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Some quick points for people having problems or complaining, this is a commercial radio that does ham freqs. I have not seen a single advertisement for it that does not clearly state you will need to software to unlock the radio so stop whining about it being locked out of the box. In the real world of commercial radio we seldom need to adjust squelch, that is why there is no squelch knob, if you are not running decode PL then just set it high enough to block background noise, if you need to constanly adjust it then it is not set right.

Customer service from powerwerx is great, I have made two calls so far, both resolved in less than 5 minutes
1. you set the tone encode and decode and then in another column you have to tell the radio to be in the ctcss/dcs "mode" to use those tone settings.
2. (my fault) could not figure out how to put in a receive only freq, turns out a little farther over on the programming screen there is a transmit inhibit check box, easy
3. the ticking noise / interference when scanning on one side, solution, use as short a remote cable as possible and use CAT6 shielded cable, problem solved.

KB1CU Rating: 1/5 Oct 9, 2014 15:35 Send this review to a friend
Cheap Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio just over a year. Just long enough so it is out of warranty. Major programing difficulty, easy to make errors. Display has many colors but none are bright enough to see in daylight. Impossible to program from front panel. However, the main reason I think its crap. The warranty ran out 1 month ago. The VHF transmitter failed at all power levels. I called Powerwerx service, they were very nice but couldn't repair it in the states. Their solution was to have me send the radio back to them with $240 dollars and they would send me another one.
It took me all of 30 seconds to realize that $240 was better spent towards a Kenwood or Icom. But if you do buy one I have the RT systems software and programing cable for $20 (cost $50)

KC9WII Rating: 2/5 Feb 26, 2014 16:51 Send this review to a friend
2 radios same prob  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one of these radios and the programming software. Everything looks good I liked the radio at the time of un package.When I got all my freq in memory I noticed bleed over from other repeaters I could hear conversations on other freq on my set vfo
freq. So I packed it up sent it back to get a exchange figuring hundreds of radios manufactured there is gonna be one bad one out there. No difference receive bleed over from several other freq. Then it got worse from there the radio locked up asking for a pin code to enter programming mode which was never set up with me from the start. The positive to all this is powerwerx customer service is a AAA+ they worked with me to get this second one returned.

KC2ZKI Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2014 14:21 Send this review to a friend
A lot of radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the software and cable with this unit directly from Powerwerx. Bottom line, itís a great radio for the price. Lets see how long it lasts. Iím pretty rough on radios and usually stick to Kenwood because thatís the only brand that takes a beating so far.

Here are my observations for the DB-750 so far:
A. Proís
1. I received very good audio reports.
2. I was set up and running with one VHF and one UHF channel within minutes.
3. The software is very intuitive. I finished entering the rest of my stations in about 5 minutes.
4. The radio controls are also very intuitive.
5. Each side has its own volume and power settings.
6. I like the fact that I can toggle between bands with the push of a button on the mic.
7. The blue display is perfect
8. The lighted keypad on the mic is nice and bright.
9. I also like the band indicator on the mic.
10. The PTT function is very crisp.
11. The larger mic fits really well in my hands.
12. Long QSOís (1 hour) on Med1 power setting (one down from high power) barely gets the radio mildly warm (maybe 85 degrees F). Still cool to the touch.
13. I havenít done any high powered transmitting yet. Once I get this unit in my truck, I will see how it goes.
14. The built in speaker is plenty loud. Had I known this, I would not have bought the external speaker.

B. Conís
1. I did get a report of a 60cyc hum using my power supply. This is the same power supply I use for my Kenwood V71 with no issues. The report was that the hum was barely noticeable and it wouldnít have been mentioned unless I asked. My mobile install has a separate dry cell car battery, so this shouldnít be an issue in my truck.
2. The radio comes locked. This means all of the controls on the head are locked out until you unlock them. In the software there is a radio button to uncheck which does the trick. You can also do a factory reset without the software. Not really a negative, however this info is not in the manual and a new user may get stuck on this. A simple one line sentence in the manual would prevent any frustration. Luckily I read about this here and knew what to do.
3. The software works fine. I had a little trouble entering my serial number. It seems the software doesnít want the ď-ď between number sets. Once again, a short note on the software popup indicating to enter the serial number without dashes could help a new person from getting discouraged.

4. The letter ďAĒ on the display is really weird looking. Very slanted. For instance my local repeater is AA2QD. At first I didnít realize it was my repeater call sign. Just a weird font for the letter ďAĒ. All the other letters look fine.
5. In order to use the software, you need to unplug the mic from the jack so you can use the programming cable. Not a major issue, but I got spoiled with my Kenwood having a separate programming port.

73's