Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | K1EL K-20 CW keyer and keyboard Help

Reviews Summary for K1EL K-20 CW keyer and keyboard
K1EL  K-20 CW keyer and keyboard Reviews: 25 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $25
Description: The K1EL K-20 is a minature PCB that uses TWO PIC computers and includes a full featured CW keyer for use with a paddle AND a full featured CW Keyboard.
More info: http://www.k1el.com

You can write your own review of the K1EL K-20 CW keyer and keyboard.

KC0IOX Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2002 04:13 Send this review to a friend
Nice product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just used one of these for the first time at Field Day, and a great, easy to use product. I ordered one that Sunday afternoon. It arrived a week later, and went together very easily. I got it working, and it works great, but I had to get a newer model keyboard. My 12 year old keyboard had problems with RF, but switching to my newer keyboard did the job. It has a lot of features, and Steve is very good support on putting it together. One other feature I like is the code practice, where it will send you 5 random letters and you can either listen to it, or type it back, and it will go as fast as you want. This is the best addition I've made to my shack in quite a while. Nice product!

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2002 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The kit went together easily. I put it in a cast aluminum enclosure to avoid stray RF from my portable antenna. I replaced the on-board small DIN connector with a larger 5-pin connector attached to the enclosure and splurged on the keyboard, getting a special compact model that takes up less room from Jaemco.

The unit works great, although I haven't yet gotten used to typing ahead. Programming is very easy, too. I plan on using the keyboard when I get too tired to send well by hand. Now I have a range of keys with which to send --straight key, bug, paddle, or keyboard.

KG4NXP Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2002 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using the product now for a few months and have had no problem. Myne has been running on the 9V batt for at least 2 months.

If you want to not use the keyboard, look at the k10+.

73's

VE2XLT Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2001 19:08 Send this review to a friend
fine product !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembled and tested in few hours - works fine!
Did few QSO with my 2 HF rigs....no problems...
Had a CMOS Super Keyer 3 before and find K20
more versetile...Probably will order another K10
unit to be able to control speed etc. with pots.

VE3XDB Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2001 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Very cool!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A very interesting idea, well executed and built by a gentleman who is very helpful and easy to deal with.

The kit is well documented, and goes together easily. The IC's seem to be immune/resistant to electostatic discharge and clumsy fingers.

A couple of suggestions for builders:

1. Install the 7805 voltage regulator so that is can be bent over, off the board, and tied to a heat sink. It get's hot!

2. If you are going to use an external speaker, use a variable resistor to control volume, or try several values for R8 - the 100 ohm resistor makes for loud audio on an small outboard speaker.

3. For power, use an AC adaptor or a power supply of some kind. I originally wired this up for use with a 9V battery, and it didn't last long.

Overall, an easy project to complete, worked the first time. Documentation, which can be found on the internet, is excellent.

I would recommend this to those who are interested in sending cw with the keyboard. If you are simply looking for a keyer, another solution may suit you better, because you would need a paddle, a keyboard and this keyer. I think this is a lot of hardware for this application.

I use this to send code on 20 and 40 metres. Hope to work you sometime!

Doug VE3XDB

BV2WN Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2001 00:29 Send this review to a friend
excellent keyer/keyboard  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received Steve's K20 and spent my Sunday
afternoon to build my first kit. When the
power was applied, it worked as advertised. I am
much delighted.

The instructions are clear-cut that guide a
novice kit builder like me step by step.

Very pleased and the keyer has more functions
than you can imagine. Sure a breeze for contest
hams.

The Morse practice mode is also useful. I am
running 27 WPM and hopefully to
pass the local Class 1 license this
year. (20 WPM required here in Taiwan)

73, Frank, bv2wn

K7EMI Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2001 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a painful wait for the (very small) package, i finally got my keyer! It wasn't the Post Office, it just hadn't been mailed. Well, what do you expect for $25?

What you get is a great keyboard/memory/paddle keyer that works as advertised. Back in the early 80's, a friend spent hours trying to get a keyboard keyer working from a QST article and it never worked correctly. This kit went together in no time and has all the options I've ever seen.

The only drawback is that you really need a keyboard to control the keyer, which can be a problem if you have limited desk space.

With less buttons and knobs, it was much easier to package this thing than my original CMOS Super Keyer.

KC3HN Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2001 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Steve has done a first rate job of design and programming. The K-20 substantially exceeds my expectations.

WB0SED Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2001 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Great keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just put it together--Wow does it work!!!!!!
Easy to build--easy to program
very well thought out and performs beautifully.

A wonderful addition to the shack and contesting.
Good company to deal with--quick and complete.

N3TND Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2001 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Superb, easy building keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I completely agree with the previous reviews. With the excellent downloadable instructions this feature-packed keyer builds fast and works like a champ. Quality job K1EL.