Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | PAR HF Omni Angle Help

Reviews Summary for PAR HF Omni Angle
PAR HF Omni Angle Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $100
Description: A very light and small horizontally polarized antenna with a near circular radiation pattern. It can be configured for 20-17-15-12-10m operation by changing a matching adapter. Ideal for traveling, field day, and HOA-defying installations.
More info: http://www.parelectronics.com/hf-omnis.php

You can write your own review of the PAR HF Omni Angle.

KO6WL Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2014 08:19 Send this review to a friend
I am very happy with my purchase  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 17 meter version. Great performance, clever design, remarkably small, and easy to set up. Dale is a pleasure to deal with. Quick email responses every time. I am impressed with the antenna's design and the ease of assembly. I have mine in a fixed location on a commercial building. It doesn't attract attention, which was important to me. I lost a number of wire antennas when the air conditioning contractors made them into spaghetti! I find it's non-directional radiation pattern a positive feature. I am working Dx and getting good reports on CW and SSB. If you are looking for a small, omnidirectional antenna, this one is great.

VK4JRC Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2014 05:19 Send this review to a friend
This 20m Antenna Is A Gem!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna is very well made, with quality materials. I installed it in a matter of minutes, tuning on 20 metres was
quick and easy for the voice section of the band. Comparing to other antennas I have, it's received noise level is much lower than my vertical to a point where weaker signals were unable to be copied on the vertical, were easily readable on the Omni Angle. The antenna is very light and portable, so it would be good for field use. I have got the additional matchboxes for 15 & 17 metres which are an easy swap job. If you want a light, well priced antenna that works, the Omni Angle is a great choice :-) Jack VK4JRC

W8ZT Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After receiving my set I set up a 17 meter Omni on my 16 foot telescoping flag pole. I made a drive on holder for the flagpole. Used a bead choke and some rg8x to my KX3 and worked Belgium on ssb with about 3 watts pep. My battery meter was going back and forth indicating power was dwindling, so my guess at 3 watts. Setup was easy. First try and swr was great. I took this setup to Dayton and many people stopped by to ask about what it was. Most guessed it was the 6 meter moxon. Quickly corrected the passerbys and they turned around to look closer. All the time my friends were working DX as they could easily hear. Seemed to work local stations as well. I was busy tending to customers but all op's were impressed. Takedown was just as easy as install. Very compact. I am looking for a bag or tube to store the complete set along with a Phillips screwdriver to change the matchboxes. I switched the hex nuts to wing nuts for the mounting bracket. ALSO A BIG WARNING...DO NOT try to screw a stud into the matchboxes so you can use a wing nut and eliminate the screwdriver. These matchboxes have open ended threaded inserts and using anything other than the included screws may damage parts located under the inserts.Dale,W4OP, saw my/his antenna and he stopped by. I asked him about this and this is where I got my info for the warning. This is going to be my go to antenna from now on. If space allows I may set up my EndFedz as a sloper and switch between the two to see what happens. If you want a compact antenna that just plain works, this is it.

W9KY Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2014 02:40 Send this review to a friend
I made a good decision in purchasing this antenna.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 17 mtr omni antenna proved to be quick and easy to assemble and get into the air at 25 feet. Only enough time to make a few contacts but one was to the west, W1AW/5 (New Mexico) and the other to the east, A92HK, Bahrein. Both contacts were at a power level of 75 watts SSB. A very good product and as always Dale is easy to work with.

N5XED Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2014 11:42 Send this review to a friend
15m OA-21B  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembly was easy, tuning even easier, worked a half dozen European stations with good reports the first time I used it. Definitely a winner for Parelectronics.

N2DE Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2014 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Omni Angle in Africa  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Last year I wrote about my preparations for a "vest pocket" DX expedition, and my reasons to chose the Omni Angle for that adventure.

Now I am in Africa, and all I can say is that the Omni Angle has exceeded my expectations. 2 weeks ago I was A25US in Botswana, and worked all continents in three leasurely evenings. Last night I was 3DA0US in Swaziland and had 230 QSOs in one evening covering the US East to West, South America, Europe, Indonesia, New Zealand - and all this with an Elecraft KX3 running 10W. In two weeks my Omni Angles (I use the 20m and 15m version on a Jackite mast) will have another opportunity to shine from Lesotho for 7P8US.

This is an outstanding, compact, light-weight antenna which travels well as airline baggage and delivers exceptional performance for the size.

This is what I wrote last year:

When assembling the antenna bag for an upcoming "vest pocket" DX expedition, I remembered my good experience with the end fed antennas that Dale designed, and I realized that he has an antenna that looks perfect on paper for my purposes and that seems to be a well kept secret: the HF Omni Angle. This is in essence a folded dipole designed for the 10m band, with match boxes that allow it to operate on 20-17-15-12-10. The antenna is of superb quality, built from aluminum, fiberglass, and stainless steel hardware, and weighs only about 3 pounds. It is assembled in a few minutes: a 7x4 feet stressed rectangle with a mast clamp that also holds the match box for the respective band. It breaks down into pieces of about 4 feet and is easily supported by the Jackite fiberglass poles in my bag, which also collapse to 4 feet. The antenna is tuned for your favorite section of a band by sliding tubes - no tools required. Adapting the antenna for another band means just changing the matchbox that sits on the mast clamp - again, no tools required. The antenna is well built and uses high grade materials, but it is probably not intended for a permanent installation in severe weather. Since it is small and inconspicuous, however, I can easily imagine it on a porch in a HOA-controlled situation ...

This almost sounds too good to be true, and I don't want to travel with unnecessary ballast in my bag - so a realistic test was made, propping it up at 22 feet on a Jackite pole in my garden and connecting it to the K3 running at 10W. The results were simply amazing and far better than I had expected. Of course, you can't do statistics with a few QSOs over a weekend. But I know that I logged C37AC against strong competition on 20m, got to the far end of Siberia on 17m, and worked the West Coast and South America on 15m - all with only 10W. Since the radiation pattern is nearly circular the antenna was always pointed in the same direction. The horizontal polarization picks up less noise than vertical antennas. This antenna clearly works well and it will have a permanent place in my antenna bag. If you hear me as 7P8US or 3DA0US from Africa or as DJ5US from Germany, you will probably be listening to the Omni Angle.

W6JMP Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2013 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Ourtstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in an area that has taken CC&R's to a new level. I have tried just about every stealth type antenna imaginable-some not so imaginable! By chance I heard about the Par Hf Omni Angle antenna on the elecraft news group. Here we go again. Why stop now I tried just about everything else_why not.
I talked to Dale at Par on the phone and decided I would try the 17 meter version. It was delivered as promised and very well packaged. The antenna went together in literally a matter of minutes. I decided I would do initial tune up on a tripod at just 12 feet. I set the dimensions on the antenna to the recommendations in the instructions, got out my trusty RigPerfect Anylyzer and was prepared for a long tedious tuning process. To my surprise the antenna resonated right in the middle of the cw portion of 17 meters and showed almost perfect SWR.
In the meantime I heard a Japanese station calling CQ, decided what the heck, I'll answer the call. MY report 599. Ok let's try someone else. Here's a PJ2-why not. Got a 599 there. Ok lets try ssb . Another Japanese station 5by 9. I guess you get the point. Within minutes of UPS dropping off the antenna I was on the air with some pretty impressive reports. This is with the antenna temporarily mounted at 12 feet. Am I happy-oh yeah. 73's

VE3EGA Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2013 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Small footprint - great performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to get a omni-directional antenna for 17m
and was considering a PAR enfedz - then I discovered PAR Electronics have a range of horizontal loops - these are called 'OMNIANGLE'..

The OMNIANGLE has a great VSWR curve, weighs in at a mere 2.5lbs and assembles in minutes. Installation is a breeze with the supplied hardware!

Performance, well, as an example, last evening, I busted a pile-up and worked G0PKT on the Island of Herm (plus similar with HK3C in Columbia and CU3AC in the Azores) - so yes. I guess it works well - Thanks Dale for a quality product!

WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2013 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Not a Miracle Antenna - just damn close!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let's make this short and sweet. I live under antenna restrictions. I operate 100% QRP CW. I have a 44' doublet in my attic. It has earned me QRP WAC and DXCC. It's a great antenna. I never heard of the PAR Omni Angle until about 3 weeks ago. The first reviewer, N2DE, told me about it. It sounded too good to be true but Ulrich is not easily impressed. For $99 I figured I'd give it a shot. WOW! It takes about 3 minutes to assemble/disassemble. At 7 feet by 4 feet it fits within my townhouse deck's footprint. At 2.5 pounds it is easily hoisted to about 27 feet on a 31 foot Jackite fiberglass pole. It's easily tuned to resonance without any tools; just slip the ends of the two tubes in and out to achieve the lowest SWR. Now the best part: I immediately began making DX contacts on 17 meters that averaged 2 S-units above what my heretofore "magical" attic doublet was pulling in. The next day, I worked Tokyo, Japan on 5 watts from NY on it. I received a 559 report from JH1MDJ. He was 589 and hitting S9 at times on the Omni-Angle. On the doublet he was 579. The noise level was lower on the Omni-Angle and that was most likely "house noise" due to an attic installation. So, in summary, those who face similar antenna restrictions may find this antenna very, very interesting as a solution to: "How do I get a decent DX antenna up...and then down...easily and rapidly enough to actually use it on a regular basis and will it perform?" There are no miracle antennas but this one comes closer than anything I've ever tried.

KC0RNN Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2013 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was using Par end fed antennas with a 31 foot collapsible fiberglass mast, with great success. So when I wanted to add 17 meters to my portable arsenal, the Par Omni directional was high on my list. After reading their web site and trading emails with Dale, I ordered one. When it arrived, I assembled it in about fifteen minutes, tuned it in about fifteen minutes and put it about 25 feet up on my mast. My first contact was ST. Lucia receiving an S9 report. My second contact was Cuba also with a S9 report. By the way, I live in Colorado running 100 watts. What a great antenna. The materials are first class, it`s very light weight, it tunes from 1:1 to 1.3:1 across the band and is very quiet. When their 20 meter becomes available, I will stack it with the OA-18b and according to Dale I should get plus 3 dbl.