Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Tecsun PL-360 Help

Reviews Summary for Tecsun PL-360
Tecsun PL-360 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$45
Description: LW/MW/SW/FM Stereo reciever

You can write your own review of the Tecsun PL-360.

KC0EKQ Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2015 01:22 Send this review to a friend
Fun in a small package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been enjoying the Tecsun PL-360 for the last few weeks after finding one at a garage sale.

Like most of the members, reviewers and readers here, I am a LONG time radio fanatic and have very educated, long-proven opinions about what makes a good receiver or a bad one. They are still only opinions, but they obviously carry the most weight when it comes to my choices.

I have to admit I was not planning to purchase one of these, given that I don't really need one -- I have numerous travel/portable receivers that are much better all the way around -- and it seemed silly to get one that didn't include SSB or synchronous detection.

But when I saw it on the garage sale table (in the box) with a $15 sticker on it, there was no way I wasn't going to grab it. It was a pretty little toy radio, and for that price easily worth its light, plasticky weight in fun.

When I got it home and put batteries in and turned it on, well... my attitude changed.

No, it ain't no barnburner -- especially as regards audio and ease/unease of tuning -- but this thing WORKS for its intended purpose and works WELL.

FM Stereo through the headphones (earbuds are included in the package) is really quite fine. In fact, it is, on its small whip antenna, a better FM receiver than the Sony 7600G I recently sold after a decade of using it. The Sony was always prone to some imaging and overloading even on its built-in whip antenna, and the 360 just doesn't exhibit those issues... plus it seems to be a bit more selective on FM, as well.

It's fine on broadcast SW, again not a barnburner and a bit limited in frequency range and modes (only AM or FM, no SSB/CW/RTTY) but it hears almost everything my PL-660 does, and that's just really impressive to me for something this little.

On MW/AM, it's just flat out FUN to play around.

It's not as sensitive as my other portable receivers, but only by a tiny degree. With the included little ferrite loop antenna connected atop the radio, one can actually null stations and peak others and depending on your location this can be very DX-like. I mean, I can't say this is a great radio for MW DXing but it sure can come close sometimes.

The display is very easy to read, the volume and tuning thumb wheels are smooth and easy, and other features like frequency steps and alarms are done with pretty simple button-push style.

ETM is a very useful feature I wish other radios had. It will scan the full band and put into a separate memory bank all of the stations it can hear, which can then be made into permanent memory channels. This feature alone buys it a first class ticket to Great Travel Radio-land. On FM, AM and SW bands, the ETM is a fine thing.

Battery life seems to be in the 'sip' category, and I've seen no issues yet even after two weeks of daily use on the first set of batteries I put in.

So even at its general retail price it is truly a bargain for a go-bag, a survival kit, or a vehicle emergency radio that really works and works well.

Heck, you can just use it at your bedside for quiet nighttime listening.

I have yet to try any kind of external antenna on it so all of my experience is with the supplied antennae.

It's very impressive at what it does, for what it is -- small, cheap and simple.

I can heartily recommend it. Even if you're a SSB junkie like me and miss that mode on this receiver, it is a fun, fine radio.

WD8AQS Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2014 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Best SW portable choice for under $50.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned many portable SW radios over 4 decades in the hobby, mostly made in Japan. This was my first new radio purchase in a long time, mainly because of the cheap stuff sold today.

The PL-360 impressed me right from the start. Its design and feel reminds me of the quality made in Japan radios. Its sensitive throughout the bands, even with the short antenna. The plug in MW ant. is a hoot and works well, very impressed with MW sensitivity. Selectivity is fine also with plenty of good audio from its speaker.

Its fun to use with all the neat options thanks to the made in the USA DSP chip. Search for stations at different times of day or night and puts them in memory for easy access. Can do LW band also by changing MW to 9KC spacing. Nice lighted display, battery charging option, comes with a soft case, wire clip on ant., earphones and plug in MW ant. Can't really think of anything negative to say about it. Would love to see a SSB option with fine tune, maybe someday.

K2MMM Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2014 19:53 Send this review to a friend
sw7600g side by side  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Equal if not better in some cases.Used the ETM scan feature then tuned the 7600g to the same freq.The 360 signal strength and audio were better than the Sony.The 360 has no ssb no sync no tone adjustment and no swiveling antenna! I am disappointed in the 7600 .FM was also great in the 360. I would say if you want a fit in your back pocket good sounding sensitive radio with no ssb at a 1/4 of the price of the current 7600gr....try this with the great ten scan feature..73

K2MMM Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2014 05:56 Send this review to a friend
great little radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use mine at night with headphones so I dont wake my wife up. I live in New Jersey and im able to copy CHML Hamilton Ontario Canada with no problem and minimal fading. Nice size easily held like an HT.FM sounds great through headphones. If you want a very portable radio that has decent sound and decent reception I say this is a good value for you!

MARTESQUE Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2013 13:10 Send this review to a friend
For Size & Price, I'm Impressed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Despite already owning "enough" radios, my wife said she'd buy this for me because it looked cool. Who was I to refuse?

Well, I was very surprised at how well this receiver performs. That external swivel antenna works incredibly well. The AM band is as sensitive as any Tecsun, Grundig or Sony I have. I have noticed that if you're listening to a local AM signal, adding the swivel antenna doesn't increase or overload the signal. According to the meter, it's the same strength whether it's plugged in or not. But for distant listening, it picks up every fringe signal in range. Superb night listening and it's not as susceptible to signal fading as other radio's I've used for DXing.

FM is very good, with the DSP chip providing excellent selectivity; picking out stations in-between stations. Shortwave is very sensitive and picks up all major broadcasters.

What makes this radio fun to use is the ETM feature, that automatically scans any / all bands and puts them in a separate memory for you. For beginner SW listeners, this is a great way to see what's out there without having to tune endlessly through all the meter bands. Also great when you're traveling and want to scan through AM / FM bands without disrupting your permanent memories. I've taken it to the beach, on bike rides or hiking and it fits nicely into a cargo pants' pocket or has different belt loop choices.

Sound is very impressive for such a small speaker and headphones provide FM stereo. (I like the fact that the volume control is analog, but that's a personal preference.) Plays forever on rechargeable batteries.

For the price, I'm really impressed - one of Tecsun's better performers. I'm hoping it holds up as well as my PL-390 (2 years).