Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Ameritron AWM-30 Peak Reading SWR/Wattmeter Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AWM-30 Peak Reading SWR/Wattmeter
Ameritron AWM-30 Peak Reading SWR/Wattmeter Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $EXPENSIVE
Description: Precision SWR Wattmeter with 3000/300 Watt ranges
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=AWM-30

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AWM-30 Peak Reading SWR/Wattmeter.

AE0DC Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2017 13:44 Send this review to a friend
would buy again, even after problem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
AWM-30B
Being a new HAM who knows buying everything at once will only get the wife mad  , had created a wish list. Every month or so I would purchase an item or two from the list. Recently that included an AL-811 amp and a AWM-30B watt/SWR meter. I used the watt meter for about 3 weeks when it basicly failed (Dead as a doornail!) no reading, no lites, regardless of using the power cord or battery.
I called Ameritron who spent 20 or so minutes on the phone with me trouble shooting the problem. It appeared to be a socket on the board and Ameritron offered to send me that part. I explained to them that if it were a few years, and not a few weeks old I would have gladly taken them up on the offer, but wanted to send it in for warranty repair.
The service tech, said to put a note in the box stating he said they would pay for return shipping. That struck me funny as I thought they should pay for shipping both ways. He explained that they normally donít pay shipping at all.
Ok, with all that said, I shipped the unit to them, and in very short order it showed back up at my door, repaired and working fine. Turned out there was something else wrong with it (Glad I sent it in) and they took care of that gratis. All in all IM very happy with the product which does its job at a midline price. The customer service was fast and the techs a pleasure to talk to. I will continue to buy from MFJ/Ameritron.

W6WRT Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2017 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine is the "B" model. Ameritron has finally gotten the meter back lighting right. For years, meters have been back lit with a single incandescent bulb which gave a yellowish, uneven illumination. Now the back light is a white, perfectly even all over the meter face. I haven't had the cover off but I assume it is an array of LED's. Whatever it is, it could not be better. As to the rest of the meter, that too is 100% satisfactory. You won't be disappointed.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2016 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Good meter!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the AWM-30B as part of my station equipment to go with the IC-718, AL-811 and 4BTV antenna. I also have an RigExpert AA-54, which I used to tune the 4BTV vertical antenna.

The AWM-30B reads very close to the same indications at the AA-54. Essentially, they read the same.

In terms of "accuracy", all I can say is that the AWM-30B matches another meter.

The unit seems well built. I've had the cover off. My own unit came with two different types of cover screws, apparently one meant to stay in place all the the time (the bottom screws) and the other to be used when removing the top of the case. Mine were reversed.

My only "gotcha" with this meter is that in peak mode it immediately begins to deviate from the peak indication, then lingers a bit as the needle slowly returns to "zero". I know the circuit is rather simple but I'd rather have the needle stay at peak for a longer period of time, then quickly return back down to zero. This is a nit pick for me, and more of a preference than any sort of fault with the AWM-30B.

Mine has white LED meter illumination.

All in all, I'm happy with it. It will tune up my AL-811 quite easily. Price wise, about middle of the road.

Even though there were some negative comments, I'm going to rate the meter as a "5" for its non-plastic construction (all metal) and how well it tracks a digital readout meter.

W8SBH Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2016 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Accurate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my AVM-30B. I don't know if this is the latest version of this meter. Anyway I am very pleased with it. Controls are well placed, a nice size meter, illuminated and easy to read. I compared the SWR readings to mu Rigexperts AA-30 analyzer and it is right on; about 0.1 units difference between the two, if you can even read that close (or need to).

I don't have a means to check the calibration of the power but when I set my IC-7200 on an output value, I confirm that on the meter.

Hopefully I will feel the same in a year.

WA3HVR Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2016 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Really just what I needed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wanted an accurate peak reading SWR/wattmeter that didn't break the bank and this fits my needs perfectly. Checked it against others key down and it is right there. Bright backlighting and big easy to read meter are very nice. Mine is a 30B. Not sure what changed. First one was doa on reflected side, but the super folks at HRO sent another right away and the second time is a charm. Great shack addition. Highly recommended!

N4RCK Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2015 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Design   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very happy with the accuracy. Also a price range that
is affordable. You want be disappointed with the awm30b .

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Accurate and not expensive at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this meter for over a year and so far I cannot complain one bit about it.

It does show watts and SWR at the same time with the dual meter. It is nice to have the peak reading. Very easy to use and very easy to read with the nice fairly large size dial. You do have to remember to use the high setting when going QRO as the meter will peg hard.

If you are looking for a fairly priced watt/SWR meter, then this one is a good choice. I recommend it.

KD8QNC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2014 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Station Wattmeter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would like to have and an LP-100a but didn't want to pay more for a wattmeter than I did for my wonderful used TS-450s that is the heart of my station. I bought a slightly used AWM-30 off of QTH so that I could get a reading on my PEP output on SSB. I paid about 1/2 the current list price and couldn't be happier with the results. The Ameritron does a great job of measuring both average and peak output plus reflected power/SWR. I checked it with a Bird 43 and it is calibrated w/i 5% of the Bird. Now I can see output readings on my transceiver, amp, ante tuner, and the AWM-30 at one quick glance. This is a great analog wattmeter and tracks the reflected power/VSWR of my antenna on all of the frequencies in which I operate. Great investment, I am happy with this purchase!

N4WDN Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2013 16:00 Send this review to a friend
great meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my AWM-30 today and hooked it up and tested it out.
meter works good and is very close to the reading on my bird. well within the 10% stated in the manual.
I like the large face and back light for old eyes

AE9DX Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2012 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Meter For The Money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading all the reviews on the various meters out there and considering the all important budget, I opted for the AWM-30. I've had numerous Ameritron products and have always been happy with them. I bought this meter new for $135.00 from R&L Electronics and it does everything it's supposed to. The meter came with an included power supply (Standard MFJ wall wart)for the peak reading function and also for the very nice LED back light. It is constructed in a sturdy metal case in standard Ameritron black. All function buttons are on the front and easy to use. I like the hang time on the peak read function and the average read position also works well as does the SWR meter. The meter face is approximately 3 inches wide so is easy to read especially for these older eyes! I have had a Daiwa in the past and this one beats it hands down. The AWM-30's metal case and rubber feet gives it enough weight to stay put when using the function buttons and also given the weight of the RG-8U hanging off the back it does not tip over.
All in all, this is a good, sturdy, easy to read and use meter and I look forward to using it for years to come.