Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Ameritron AWM-30 Peak Reading SWR/Wattmeter Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AWM-30 Peak Reading SWR/Wattmeter
Ameritron AWM-30 Peak Reading SWR/Wattmeter Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $EXPENSIVE
Description: Precision SWR Wattmeter with 3000/300 Watt ranges
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=AWM-30

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AWM-30 Peak Reading SWR/Wattmeter.

ND9B Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2011 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Great PEP Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the only RF meter I've used that convinces me I'm seeing TRUE peak readings on both forward and reflected scales. And the long hang time (that some complain about) is a feature to me. I can read my PEP and SWR while talking on SSB just as if it were continuous wave! This is a great "while you're talking" meter.

W4WIA Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2011 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Great for the $$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this meter to replace my Diawa that died. Like other reviewers, I found the meter "hang time" in the PEAK mode to be slow. I changed out the capacitor in the POWER mode (C-106, a 10 microfarad) to a 2.2 microfarad cap and now the "hang time" is the same as the meter on my Palstar AT-5k.
The white LED meter illumination makes the meter super easy to read. I'd buy another one.
Dennis W4WIA

JUNKMAN Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2009 22:05 Send this review to a friend
Real good meter for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This a a real nice meter and works very well for the price. Build quality is typical Ameritron so it should hold up pretty well. Compared to my Lab Grade LP-100A the meter readings on the 3000 watt scale were reading low a few hundred watts but after a calibration it now shows the correct reading across the entire scale. The 300 watt scale was fairly close right out of the box. Meter response time is very good and the decay has been decreased from a few years ago when I complained to Ameritron that the meter decay time was way too slow. Looks like they did address this and this one works great. Peak and average show the exact same readings on a steady carrier as it should be unlike alot of the other meters I've owned. Coupler can be remoted about 4 feet away from the main display unit by seperating the coupler from the main unit. The cable is coiled up inside the unit untill needed. Overall this is a very good meter and I'm pleased with the operation of mine.

MI0LLL Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2008 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very good meter for the money and never give any problems, i was always concerned about the accuracy, i have since purchased a power master by array solutions and can say now that the readings from both meters are close and obviously believe the latter meter is the correct reading.

73!
Chris

K2FDR Rating: 3/5 Aug 21, 2007 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Better the Second Time Around  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My AWM-30 wattmeter died just a few days after arrival from Ameritron. It would not read Forward Power. I returned the meter, and they ultimately, after 30 days decided it was unrepairable and replaced it with a new one.

All is well, for now.

Thank you to Bill at Omega Amplifiers for helping Ameritron get things moving.....

K4XZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2007 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these to help with my AL-811.It has always worked fine and has consistant accuracy.The one problem I had was the meter lights kept burning out. I called ameritron and they sent me 4 lamps and a resister.I installed them and once again a burn out.I then went to RS and got 2 old syle screw in type lamp sockets and 2 14.4 volt bulbs.I put these in and it's been fine.Since the next meter I would consider purchasing is the Array Soulutions Power master @ $400.00 The AWM-30 gets my vote.

73 Joe Patrick K4XZ

KC9ERB Rating: 3/5 Jul 23, 2007 13:17 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm giving an OK because even though it appears to be all that the previous reviewers say it is, mine did not respond when I first applied power. I thought I had finally been bitten by the MFJ bug. I opened the housing and saw that the meter contacts on both sides (forward and reverse) were pushed up against the internal housing and shorting out. I moved them back with knife and then the meter worked fine. It also works without activating the on/off switch (good or bad?). Also, I see no evidence of a remote sensor in the packaging or instructions. So, congratulations on your 35th anniversary, Martin F. Jue, but you still have a lot to learn about quality control.

N4JA Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2007 11:02 Send this review to a friend
No better meter for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have tested the AWM-30 and it is great for the price. There are better wattmeters but you would have to pay $400 or more. The greatest limitation of this meter is it's "precision". Don't confuse precision with accuracy. They are two different things. Precision refers to the smallest number you can read from the meter scale. Accuracy refers to how close the meter reading is to the real wattage. This meter is exceptionly accurate, but you have to interpolate the reading between marks on the meter scale. It would be more precise if the meter scale was larger and the meter scale had more divisions on it. Peak reading accuracy is right on the mark with the average reading. The meter is accurate and precise enough to let you know if you are exceeding 1500 Watts on both the average and peak readings. Read my reviews on both the Palstar and Diawa wattmeters. This meter is better than either.

KG4USN Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2005 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Works geat for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Matches the readings in my IC 756 exactly. Peak function works well. Paid $82 on ebay. This is my first wattmeter.73 to all

KG4VBR Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2004 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this meter for just over 1 year.It does everthing it claims to do with no problems.Construction is good,and seems to be accurate against my Drake.I bought this to tune my AL-811(which I'm also quite happy with).About a month ago the meter lamp went out.So I called Ameritron to get a replacement.When I went to give him a cc# he told don't need it and shipped 3 bulbs and a resister for longer bulb life.I'd buy another if needed best bang for the buck.

73 Joe K4XZ