Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Funcube Dongle pro plus Help

Reviews Summary for Funcube Dongle pro plus
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: SDR Dongle that plugs into USB socket of a pc and produces a fully functioning hf to uhf multi-mode SDR display.
More info: http://www.funcubedongle.com

You can write your own review of the Funcube Dongle pro plus.

W6OGC Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2014 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Fascinating  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my Funcube Pro Plus a couple of weeks ago, my first "hands on" any kind of SDR. I had some trouble getting things sorted out, between a new computer running, a new to me operating system, a new device, and new software. There is very little in the documentation, and some of it is behind the product due to upgrades changing some things. It was pretty mysterious, confusing, and of course, there is the "old dog, new tricks" phenomena to overcome.

Without too much cursing, I finally got it playing with SDR Sharp software. Thanks to the Yahoo group inputs, I have now downloaded and installed HDSDR, both freeware, BTW. HDSDR is much more like what an amateur radio plays like. I was able to tune around, fiddle with the filters etc, and get used to this new adventure in amateur radio. For me, this is more like a learning device than an operating addition to the shack. I must say the sound of this receiver is startling, quiet, sharp, very good sensitivity it seems although I did no testing. I did listen to some stations them switch to the regular radio in the shack, and the FCP+ compared very favorably. I'm still learning, getting used to how this device can be used, needles to say.

The ordering, paying and shipping process was seamless, first rate. The device arrived right on the dot as expected.

It is astonishing to see this quite high performance receiving device in this tiny little form, and quite cheap, too.

HAMMYGUY Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2013 12:32 Send this review to a friend
HUGE improvement over original!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll admit that I was very reluctant to purchase the Pro Plus after my experience with the original. But after seeing so many happy purchasers I thought I'd roll the dice once more. This one seems to be a winner!

The original Funcube was as deaf as a rock at my QTH and could barely hear a local NOAA weather station which was 10 miles away or local ham repeaters which were rock solid on my other rigs. This seems to have been fixed and HF added to boot!

Now this little radio seems to work extremely well with very good sensitivity on all bands. But there is a tradeoff since large outside antennas seem to overwhelm it and cause some overloading even with all attenuation turned on. This was on a 285 foot windom. However on my small vertical it plays just fine and compares closely with my SDR-IQ and even seems to hear everything my Perseus does.

The real trade off is filtering. The Pro Plus doesn't seem to have much and some images show up on HF with lots showing up on VHF and higher. But this is really a minor annoyance as signals stand out on the panaadapter.

Well worth the money and hats off to the manufacturer for an excellent product!

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Staggering display  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had this little gem working within ten minutes of receiving it. Using free downloaded software called SDR Sharp I was able to observe band activity on MW, HF, and VHF. Works with all modes and a valuable addition to any station. Yet to fully explore its possibilities which include aircraft frequencies, NOAA and AM/FM broadcasts. Opens up a whole new world of interest.