Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Collins 30L-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Collins 30L-1
Collins 30L-1 Reviews: 37 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $520.00
Description: 80-10 meter 1KW PEP linear amplifier
More info: http://collinsradio.org/html/30l-1.html

You can write your own review of the Collins 30L-1.

K4GNO Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2017 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my 30L-1 new in 1976 so it has given me 41 years of excellent performance. A few years ago, I had Peter K2LRC put in a new power supply board and several new components. Other than that, all I've had to do is replace tubes in the 41 years. What more can I say!

N1BIC Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2015 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Could not ask for more with my Collins 30L-1   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Peter Wittenberg sold me a restored Collins 30L-1 with the new power supply. The amp and Peter exceeded my expectations! Peter also restored a Collins 30L-1 I bought off of an auction site. Luckily, I am within a few hours drive of Peter's location in Annapolis, MD and was able to personally deliver my amp for service. I was very impressed with Peter's knowledge and his shop (show room). He took time for a visit and stepped me through what he would do to the auction amp. When I made another trip to pick it up I had another chance to learn things that I would never have known about a 30L-1. I even got the parts back that Peter replaced.

He tested all tubes, replaced the power supply, rebuild the bias network, checked the ALC circuit, lubricated RF switches, aligned the input RF circuits and provided output data for each band using a Bird 43, a Bird 4381 and a HP8640B signal generator. Readings agree with my LP-100A.

A great experience with a great person at a reasonable charge.

His website: http://www.k2lrc.com/

A very happy experience and stations I call, almost always, come back to me and I frequently get "good audio" comments as well.

Jack, N1BIC

VE6ND Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2015 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I have owned a Collins 30L-1 for well over 30 years and in that time I have had 8 of them!
Never a problem with distortion or any other issues.
Starting out in the late 70's the adage was to use a twenty foot length of coax to the radio. Being 17 years old I figured the 48" length would suffice, and you know what? It did.
Some of the experts will tell you that it oscillates on 10 meters and does this and that.

Horse cookies! Just because you have a tone of blogs and bragging rights does not make you right.

If you pick one up for about $500 it's a good deal!
Mine, I get an easy 850 watts out from the 811's and don't! Go to the 572B's! Stupidity!
Art Collins designed this for what it was.
Use it!!!

Glenn, VE6ND

K9RJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2015 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Quality!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have many amps: ACOM 2000A, Drake L7. Henry 2K-4, HB 3-1000Z and the Collins 30L-1. The Collins is rock solid and if you ever need to repair or re-tube it is easy. I get 500+ watts with 50 watts drive and about 650 watts out with 60 watts drive. I think it looks as good as the day it was made. Far superior to Heathkits and modern 'cheap' amps. Thank you Art Collins for a wonderful amp!

KC9YRX Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2013 18:54 Send this review to a friend
The Steinway of Amps  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Collins 30L-1 was one of only a few HF amps which could add value to my hybrid station: a Kenwood TS-830s, an all band doublet fed with real ladder line and a Dentron MT-3000a tuner. That's why I searched for one. It is the rare QSO that doesn't include a comment on my great signal and beautiful audio quality. I live for those comments and wouldnt trade one of them for all the S-units in the world. This is why I got back into the hobby after 45 years. I put the 30L-1 right up there with the S Class Mercedes and Steinway piano ... a category Classic.

N9LAP Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Quality never goes out of style!  Time owned: months
Quiet as any amp with tubes ever made! One thing that doesn't get discussed enough is the audio quality this amp delivers. Obviously if the exciter is junk, the audio will just be amplified, but with all things in the exciter being good, the cleanliness of this amps audio is simply amazing and pure. Yes, today you can buy amps which run the same tube compliment, but starting with the paper like cases they are wrapped in and the lightweight components the Collins is in quite another class,period! For the price why would you even consider another? It's that good and I own Alphas, Henry's etc.when I run it on 75 meters people actually ask if it's the Collns!

K5ZG Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2013 08:14 Send this review to a friend
great classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Art Collins really knew what he was doing when he designed this. So many electonic experts will put it down abt this and that being wrong. i got one used and two weeks later the diode board went up in smoke. Got a new board that is very nice, installed that and got new 572B tubes..the concept of the tubes is they are stronger than 811's but dont really put out that much more power. I run mined on 110V and like to see the lights in the aprartment flash. It puts out 700 watts on all bands key down. Dont run it on RTTY. In a cw or ssb contest I lift the lid and put two fans on top of the RF deck to suck out the heat.
Always wanted one of these just to say I have one. Have had many many amps over the yrs and this is just a fun, easy to tune amp with the Collins name on it. Kinda like people buying a John Deer lawn mower cuz of the name (they say it is quality).

ZS6DJD Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2012 01:23 Send this review to a friend
what a good linear  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like the Acom 1000 a good linear of today. But I also like the Collins 30l1. So when one came along I snapped it up. Now I am working all over the world from my QTH in South Africa. This is such a good linear I do not need the Acom any more. 59 into europe on 15m with poor band conditions. My radio is an Icom 7200 my antenna is 730 v which is also reviewed on E Ham

VK2CRC Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2011 17:27 Send this review to a friend
I've had three of these linear amps,  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first 30 L1, winged emblem in 1970. At that time I also had a Dentron amp. The mechanical construction of the Collins was infinitely superior to it. The 30L1 was also whisper quiet in comparison. Since then I've bought two more of them. I am currently running a Kenwood TL922 and an Ameritron AL80A, as well as a Round Emblem 30L1. The Collins is all but soundless, especially compared to the Ameritron. The 30L1 is a breeze to tune and it is always a pleasure to operate it....

F6CER Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2011 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My first commercial amplifier since more than 50 years of home-brewing : very nice piece of equipment , Small and compact .... works like a charm as any Collins Equipment does , only one thing : why a so bad and fragile mains input wiring ? .