Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Collins 30L-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Collins 30L-1
Collins 30L-1 Reviews: 36 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $520.00
Description: 80-10 meter 1KW PEP linear amplifier

You can write your own review of the Collins 30L-1.

NF6V Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2009 22:48 Send this review to a friend
True Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ditto to all the raves below.
I'd like to add a comment on RTTY.
This amp was not intended for high duty cycle but with it's conservative ratings and military construction quality I can run mine (I own two) at 600 watts output during the long RTTY contest weekends. I've put 572B tubes in the unit(s) and put a "muffin" fan on top during RTTY and it just works and works and works. Don't pass one of these great amps up if you can pick one up.
73 - Steve NF6V, VK3TDX
W4PTO Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2008 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me toss my hat into the ring for another "5!" I need not reintroduce this vaunted linear amplifier. There enough lauds and cheers for it here on Eham as well as from other Collins users and websites. Quality of construction is top-of-the-line. It's nearest competitor is the Heathkit SB-200. The only trouble is, the '200 is mostly made of aluminum. But the 30L-1! Check the insides of a 30L-1? How about the heft and feel of real steel, conservatively rated U.S. manufactured high-grade quality components, teflon wiring, and the like? The current generation of amplifiers do not stand a chance when icompared to to longevity, classic lines, rugged construction, and timeless engineering found in the L-1. Even the so-called "beat up" military versions are worth a crack at saving. If you got the pesos to do it, forget your Mighty Junk line or not so American-Tron specials and take an immediate hard right towards the Collins 30L-1. Winged Emblem, Round Emblem, or Rockwell-Collins versions: pick your flavor. You can't go wrong with any of 'em.
K3JJC Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2008 16:03 Send this review to a friend
The Best There Is  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two 30L1s and they are both on the air every day. The just continue to work and work and work. Very reliable, beautifully made and easy to tune. I can not understand why anyone would buy one of the new 3-hole or 4-hole amps when these great amps are still available. I guess some people have to have new. A nice 30L1 can be had for under $650. But, I won't sell either of mine. If you are looking for a medium power amp that runs 811As, find a friend running a 30L1 and check it out before you spring for something else.

WA0IIH Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2008 16:43 Send this review to a friend
A True Classic!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Art Collins and the gang hit a home run with this amp!! The quality is unmatched by anything out there, mil-spec all the way. I own two, one made in 1962 and the other in 1964. Both needed some resto work but what a beauty to work on and what reliability they give. I am glad I am stuck in a time warp back to the 60s, I am having a blast!!! Built like a tank with the classic curves of the best looking gear ever made. Mine are NOT for sale at any price. 73s, Shawn, WA0IIH
K8DGL Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2008 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Marvelous  Time owned: more than 12 months
My second one and all I can say it is hard to beat. I installed the aftermarket power supply board and new Taylor finals. Works great, quiet, easy to tune and as loyal as a dog.
I have had several 811 amps and the 30L-1 is simply the best.
W4CAS Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2008 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Still the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Couldn't resist adding my 5/5 rating to the fray! Have had this fine piece of gear for over 20 years and it hasn't failed me yet! Easy to tune, easy to operate, good looking, cheap to re-tube, built to MIL-SPECs! You CANNOT find another amp that even comes close in this category! If you are looking for a workhorse, quality amp that will last a lifetime, don't waste your money on the other crop of 811 amps out there! There are plenty of these gems still available for around $600 to $700 - the best money you'll ever spend on an amp!
N7WR Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2008 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Great to have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After many years I decided to re-create a station I once had that I enjoyed more than any other over the 50 years I've been a ham. Part of that included a 30L1. I was fortunate to find one in excellent shape (private party via a dealer, not e-bay). Switched it back to 110vac since I don't have an easy way to get 220 into the shack. Put a drop of oil on the fan motor and off we went. Works just like I remember my previous one working. Excellent, quiet, nice size. You can see a picture on qrz under my call
K3JJC Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2007 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Best amplifier out there  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these at present. Love them both. One is on 75 meters for about 2 to 3 hours per day every day. One is on 20 meters for a few hours every weekend. Both are real troopers, great performers, very reliable, no proplems ever with either. Both have been in service at this location for several years.
K4SPS Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2007 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Still the best table top amp there is!  Time owned: months
Have had my 'new' Collins 30-L for one month. Bought it off of E-bay. It is a truly superior design and it works as well as the day it left the factory, 46 years ago. I put 4 new Chinese 572B tubes in it, that load up and work perfectly. The original 811A's had multiple holes burned through the plates; they still had adequate output, in all fairness. The new 572B tubes have allowed lower loading and produce +500 watts on all bands. I love this amp. I am very glad I didn't buy a new 'equivalent(?)' Ameritron. I have $515 dollars invested in this amp: a depreciation of $5.00 dollars over its original price of $520.00! I did add additional through the bottom air cooling with a fan from the thrift store. Buy one, new licensee; you'll be glad you did! K4SPS
W2RS Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2007 00:24 Send this review to a friend
Still a real workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have only a few footnotes to what other reviewers have already said.

The 30L-1 is my main amp for 80-10, including the WARC bands with no problems. I drive it with a KWM-2 and an Orion II, using the Ameritron ARB-704 interface with the latter because of the 30L-1's high relay-control voltage. No, I haven't tried to make it do QSK, but it does everything else. Power output is 600-700 W CW, depending on band and drive level (always under 100 W).

It did run hot, so I put an external exhaust fan over the tubes to help out the interal blower. No more fried eggs. When I first fired it up, I did fry a helf-watt resistor in the relay-control circuit. I replaced it with a one-watt resistor, and the amp has been a real workhorse ever since.

If you want a medium-power amp, and don't need 160-meter or 6-meter coverage, get one! They sure don't make amps like they used to.