Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mfj-2289 \"Big EAR\" Help

Reviews Summary for Mfj-2289 \"Big EAR\"
Mfj-2289 \ Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $$179.95
Description: 8-BAND PORT.DIPOLE 7.0-55MHz
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Categories.php?sec=218

You can write your own review of the Mfj-2289 \"Big EAR\" .

N6BOB Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2014 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Great for FAST field set up  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love my Big Ear as it is so quick to set up in the field... used mine on field day on 40/15 with great results. Suggest a light line on the tip to keep it from rotating in the wind of in case the wind comes up as it did for me two days ago and blew mine over bending the tip. My fault for not securing it with a line and guying the tripod would help too. One can never tell when a guest of strong wind will come up an blow over your signal launcher. Just love mine.
Can't see why the reviews below mine have such critical comments. Mine has no rust and works so easily. I would only use it as a portable or temporary antenna. The elements are telescoping so can change length in the field.
I sent in a replacement order to MFJ for another "EAR" and I hope to hear back soon.
I don't know where all the reviews from the first six month of this year went. They were very positive for the most part .

W6GF Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Great results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my field day antenna. In my QRP set up and casual operating, I worked over 160 contacts on 20/40 SSB. Held up in South Dakota storms and winds fine

George, W6GF

NU4J Rating: 1/5 Oct 19, 2013 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Big ear? Big Flop!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I didn't know whether to go Poor or Awful. Awfully Poor is the best answer.

Seriously, don't waste your money on this wasp magnet.

Rust due to dis-similiar metals where telescoping rods mount to the base.

Wire tap for the different bands so small you can barely see the conductoe. Broke right off on the get-go.

Thinking about taking one of the telescoping rods and making a wasp swat so I can pop them when they fly around the eve of the house.

W7KDH Rating: 2/5 Oct 2, 2013 17:32 Send this review to a friend
"cobbled together"  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
From a distance looks nice,the coil "in my opinion"looks built by a child,but it works.the balun is another story!ive saw some crappy home brews in my time an this is"worse than"any of them.i plan on putting in an extra i have from "balun designs".and the way they have it setup to mount is just a joke.this antenna isnt worth $50.00.