Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters
 Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $300
Description: The Alpha Loop offers you a light 10-40 Meter transmit/receive magnetic loop antenna that is quick to deploy. An optional 40-80 Booster Cable makes the Alpha Loop into a two-turn loop, enabling TX/RX on 40-80 meters, which also improves efficiency on 40 meters over the standard 10-40 meter configuration. To use the 10-40 meter configuration, simply remove the booster cable and revert to a single turn loop.
More info: http://AlphaAntenna.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters.

N6KIN Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2017 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Good performance and fun for portable operations  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Alpha Loop in early March 2017, and gave it a try before leaving for a two-month trip to Australia. I set it up in my living room, and made quite a few contacts on CW from Nevada to the South Pacific (e.g., S. Cook Is, Austral Is, Hawaii, Chile) and Mexico on 40m through 12m using my 5 watt FT-817 rig. The only improvement that I could suggest is a more precise vernier adjustment on the capacitor for tuning to resonance on a high-Q circuit. The tuning can be extremely touchy, even while using an AA-54 RigExpert analyzer to assist - but I expect this for a resonant-loop antenna.

I noted in my NV indoor operations that matching to a 50-ohm load resistance is best if the loop is shaped into an ellipse about 40" wide by 30" high, and making the inner (small) loop "loosely" coupled to the large loop (by placing the large loop at the top of the selfie stick) for 30m through 10m. On 40m and 80M, I obtained the best results by tightly coupling the inner and outer loops (i.e., by velcro-tying the coax from the outer loop(s) directly to the inner loop at the top).

All in all, much better performance than I expected, and this supplement (May 2017) is a report of my experiences in VK6-land - operating near the ocean rather than at 7000 ft elevation in the mountains. I was on the air for quite few hours from the Perth area of Western Australia (WA), mostly from low-elevation beach areas on the Indian Ocean. It took some effort, but I made contacts from WA to Mauritius (3B8), Sri Lanka (4S7), and Japan on 15m; Rotuma Island (3D2), Taiwan (BU2), and Okinawa (JS6) on 17m; and various eastern Australia, Timor Leste (4W), and Maldives (8Q7) on 20m. QSOs of distances between 2000 km and 8600 km were achieved with 5W output. (I did not take the extra loop for 40/80m with me, so I did not try these bands.)

The only comparison I can make for my prior Western Australia QRP operations 2014-2016 was with a 20m vertical ground plane elevated about 3 m above ground, which did have better performance than the Alpha Loop. Granted, band conditions were pretty poor when I was visiting Australia during March and April 2017 and using the loop.

Again, can recommend the Alpha Loop for good portable operations. Would give it a 4.5, if I could enter this rating.

73, Paul (N6KIN / VK6VT)

W4JRQ Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2017 08:55 Send this review to a friend
The absolute best portable antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have tried some of the other portable antennas for portable QRP work and when I finally got the courage and money up to try this antenna out, just wow! This is by far the best in my opinion. In 7 minutes, at my own slow pace I can have the loop, tripod, radio and all ready to go. I highly recommend this antenna!! no trees needed, no rope, no stakes, no long poles non of that nonsense. It fits in my bag with my radio and battery and can be deployed anywhere anytime. No wasting time when I have limited time because I need to get back to the family soon and talk about an antenna that gets you out. I have made Canada and Mexico and the West coast with ease from South Central AL. I am confident that DX will be not much of a problem when I can set up more, Don't have much time to operate /P right now.

KG7OTQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2017 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent build quality and service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a year of trying to construct my own mag loop antenna, I came across Alpha Antennas booth at a hamfest. I noticed the quality right away (silver plating on box connectors, nylon isolation on tuning knob), and after talking to Steve a bit, I was convinced. I took it home, and set up the antenna next to my car in the drive, and ran my mobile HF from there. I got checked into the YL net in 20m with a 5x7 report on 20w ssb. The 6:1 vernier tuner is smooth, allowing minute adjustments. I am anxious for the weather to get above freezing so I can get setup to try 80m out. Service is too notch​, as Steve has answered a few questions politely and quickly. I look forward to more fun at field day!

N6KIN Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2017 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Does the job!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the Alpha Loop a week ago, and have been giving it a try before leaving for trip to Australia later this week. I set it up in my living room (much to my wife’s chagrin!), and have made quite a few contacts on CW from Nevada to the South Pacific (e.g., S. Cook Is, Austral Is, Hawaii, Chile) and Mexico on 40m through 12m using my 5 watt FT-817 rig. The only improvement that I could suggest is a more precise vernier adjustment on the capacitor for tuning to resonance on a high-Q circuit. The tuning can be extremely touchy, even while using an AA-54 RigExpert analyzer to assist - but I expect this for a resonant-loop antenna.

I noted in my indoor operations that matching to a 50-ohm load resistance is best if the loop is shaped into an ellipse about 40" wide by 30" high, and making the inner (small) loop "loosely" coupled to the large loop (by placing the large loop at the top of the selfie stick) for 30m through 10m. On 40m and 80M, I obtained the best results by tightly coupling the inner and outer loops (i.e., by velcro-tying the coax from the outer loop(s) directly to the inner loop at the top).

All in all, much better performance than I expected, and I will report back in early May on my experiences in VK6-land - operating near the ocean rather than at 7000 ft elevation in the mountains!

73, Paul (N6KIN / VK6VT)

K6TOS Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2017 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Made my QRP maritime mobile a real success.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted to be a maritime QRP SSB mobile on a cruise from San Pedro, CA to the Panama Canal and back. I thought the Alpha Magnetic Loop antenna 10-40 meters might be an ideal portable antenna that I could use on the balcony of our stateroom. I bought one before the cruise to test in my backyard. With QRP power I got into nets with surprising ease. On the cruise the 20 meters band conditions were very poor, but I still was able to made solid contacts from California to Texas. I first tuned the antenna with my antenna analyzer. When this antenna is tuned to the approximate frequency you operate on, it gives amazing results. Since my return I purchased the Booster Cable, which widens the coverage of the Loop to 10-80 meters. It also gives increased performance on 40 meters. Again I am very pleased with this addition. With the caveat you have access to the antenna for tuning, I would recommend this antenna to anyone for low power operations. I keep my antenna in its travel bag next to my emergency “go-bag”.

VK5FBHE Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2016 02:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent service and excellent product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 10-40 meter alpha loop with the extra 40-80 meter booster cable from Alpha Antenna. The 40-80 extention makes the Alpha Loop into a two-turn loop, enabling tx on 40-80 meters, and improving the efficiency on 40 meters from the standard single loop. (Note, to use the 10-40 meter configuration, simply remove the booster cable and revert to a single turn loop.) As others have said, Steve's service is unsurpassed! I had lots of questions which he politely answered over the space of several days before I finally made my purchase. Being totally blind, I had to know how to put the antenna together without seeing the diagrams. He was extremely patient and responded to all my questions in a very timely manner. It was his dedicated service which made me decide on his product over several others on the market. I of course did my research prior to that and was impressed by the excellent reviews. Being very busy, I don't have a lot of time to use HF and normally spend the small amount of time I do have on the local 2 meter repeater. Last night, I fired up my Kenwood TS-480SAT using the Alpha Loop with the 80-40 m booster cable installed, with the loop mounted on the short tripod, sitting on my desk next to me inside my house (which has an iron roof and thick stone walls.) Being limited to 10 watts by my foundation license class, I initially had trouble being heard, but patiently waited for a QSO to finish on 3.590 MHz (80 meters) and then jumped in. I was able to make contact with VK4SD portable 2 in Caragabal New South Wales, nearly 1000 KM from my QTH in Adelaide South Australia. My signal report was at best 5/9 and at worst 3/5. He was coming in at about 4/8 to me. I was very impressed! I am sure I will have better results taking the loop outside, and even better results on the higher bands where the efficiency of the loop increases.

WX4TV Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2016 15:56 Send this review to a friend
So Easy a Kid Can Use It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Our kids are all hams and they received one of these antennas to try out just before Hurricane Matthew made his presence known in Central Florida. The kids have a YouTube channel and made several videos with the antenna as they put it together and tried it out. The videos can be seen here:

and

Keeping in mind that magnetic loop antennas are compromise antennas, this one works surprisingly well. It is easy to set up (as can be seen in the videos) and the kids have made many contacts on it. Even more surprisingly, the antenna performs very well on 40m.

The antenna had a couple of issues when it arrived–namely the hook and loop fasteners were broken–and the company remedied the problem. The instructions were a bit confusing for the kids and the company was receptive to their suggestions for improvements.

Are you going to get DXCC with this antenna? Possibly not. But, you will make contacts and have fun in situations where a full size antenna can not be used. It's a good buy.

WM9F Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2016 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent results for portable ops  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Set up the antenna on a picnic table in MO; hooked it to my IC-7100 and was working Canada and Europe on 40m and 20m PSK31 using 30 watts. Very simple to set up and transport. I am very satisfied.

Jeff WM9F

W4MQC Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2016 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly Impressive Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being a neophyte in the mag loop arena, I put the thing together and have had a few contest contacts during a 20m event but everybody gets 599 in a contest. Just fired it up on 40m and had a nice visit with WB4DKF up in Tampa with a legit 589 report. Compared it to my dipole on RX and it was about the same. Amazing. I am up on my deck which is on the second story of my house overlooking the canal and mangroves, and I built a little turnstile so I could rotate it because it does seem pretty directional. So far, so good. Using my Argonaut V at 15 watts. I suppose the jury will always be out on an antenna like this, but it does seem to be an excellent choice for portable work and casual operating even though it probably qualifies as a "compromise antenna." Hard to beat a resonant wire, but this thing really does work and if you are looking for a easy solution for a low profile or portable antenna, this could be the one?

KB9ZPK Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2016 18:59 Send this review to a friend
ALPHA 10-40 LOOP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own the Alpha Antenna Coax Loop. I want to add my voice to the other reviews in stating that this is a FIRST CLASS portable HF antenna. Built with superior materials, the thing just works in such a small portable footprint. The customer service is spot on, helpful, and quick. Steve the owner is a stand up guy. (And let me state that Iam in no way affliated with Alpha Antenna...so my review is honest, and not skewed). Reception, and transmit are Great. Just get one and see. 73 Brian