Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters
 Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters Reviews: 43 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $300
Description: The Alpha Loop offers you a light 10-40 Meter transmit/receive magnetic loop antenna that is quick to deploy. An optional 40-80 Booster Cable makes the Alpha Loop into a two-turn loop, enabling TX/RX on 40-80 meters, which also improves efficiency on 40 meters over the standard 10-40 meter configuration. To use the 10-40 meter configuration, simply remove the booster cable and revert to a single turn loop.
More info: http://AlphaAntenna.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Magnetic Loop Antenna 10-40 Meters & 40-80 Meters.

VK5JKS Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2016 02:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent service and excellent product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 10-40 meter alpha loop with the extra 40-80 meter booster cable from Alpha Antenna. The 40-80 extention makes the Alpha Loop into a two-turn loop, enabling tx on 40-80 meters, and improving the efficiency on 40 meters from the standard single loop. (Note, to use the 10-40 meter configuration, simply remove the booster cable and revert to a single turn loop.) As others have said, Steve's service is unsurpassed! I had lots of questions which he politely answered over the space of several days before I finally made my purchase. Being totally blind, I had to know how to put the antenna together without seeing the diagrams. He was extremely patient and responded to all my questions in a very timely manner. It was his dedicated service which made me decide on his product over several others on the market. I of course did my research prior to that and was impressed by the excellent reviews. Being very busy, I don't have a lot of time to use HF and normally spend the small amount of time I do have on the local 2 meter repeater. Last night, I fired up my Kenwood TS-480SAT using the Alpha Loop with the 80-40 m booster cable installed, with the loop mounted on the short tripod, sitting on my desk next to me inside my house (which has an iron roof and thick stone walls.) Being limited to 10 watts by my foundation license class, I initially had trouble being heard, but patiently waited for a QSO to finish on 3.590 MHz (80 meters) and then jumped in. I was able to make contact with VK4SD portable 2 in Caragabal New South Wales, nearly 1000 KM from my QTH in Adelaide South Australia. My signal report was at best 5/9 and at worst 3/5. He was coming in at about 4/8 to me. I was very impressed! I am sure I will have better results taking the loop outside, and even better results on the higher bands where the efficiency of the loop increases.

WX4TV Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2016 15:56 Send this review to a friend
So Easy a Kid Can Use It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Our kids are all hams and they received one of these antennas to try out just before Hurricane Matthew made his presence known in Central Florida. The kids have a YouTube channel and made several videos with the antenna as they put it together and tried it out. The videos can be seen here:

and

Keeping in mind that magnetic loop antennas are compromise antennas, this one works surprisingly well. It is easy to set up (as can be seen in the videos) and the kids have made many contacts on it. Even more surprisingly, the antenna performs very well on 40m.

The antenna had a couple of issues when it arrived–namely the hook and loop fasteners were broken–and the company remedied the problem. The instructions were a bit confusing for the kids and the company was receptive to their suggestions for improvements.

Are you going to get DXCC with this antenna? Possibly not. But, you will make contacts and have fun in situations where a full size antenna can not be used. It's a good buy.

WM9F Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2016 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent results for portable ops  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Set up the antenna on a picnic table in MO; hooked it to my IC-7100 and was working Canada and Europe on 40m and 20m PSK31 using 30 watts. Very simple to set up and transport. I am very satisfied.

Jeff WM9F

W4MQC Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2016 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly Impressive Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being a neophyte in the mag loop arena, I put the thing together and have had a few contest contacts during a 20m event but everybody gets 599 in a contest. Just fired it up on 40m and had a nice visit with WB4DKF up in Tampa with a legit 589 report. Compared it to my dipole on RX and it was about the same. Amazing. I am up on my deck which is on the second story of my house overlooking the canal and mangroves, and I built a little turnstile so I could rotate it because it does seem pretty directional. So far, so good. Using my Argonaut V at 15 watts. I suppose the jury will always be out on an antenna like this, but it does seem to be an excellent choice for portable work and casual operating even though it probably qualifies as a "compromise antenna." Hard to beat a resonant wire, but this thing really does work and if you are looking for a easy solution for a low profile or portable antenna, this could be the one?

KB9ZPK Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2016 18:59 Send this review to a friend
ALPHA 10-40 LOOP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own the Alpha Antenna Coax Loop. I want to add my voice to the other reviews in stating that this is a FIRST CLASS portable HF antenna. Built with superior materials, the thing just works in such a small portable footprint. The customer service is spot on, helpful, and quick. Steve the owner is a stand up guy. (And let me state that Iam in no way affliated with Alpha Antenna...so my review is honest, and not skewed). Reception, and transmit are Great. Just get one and see. 73 Brian

N1GDO Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2016 13:41 Send this review to a friend
COAX Alpha Loop   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being an apartment dweller and on the ground floor my options were limited. I read a lot of reviews online and decided on the Alpha Coax Loop.
With winter in full force north of Boston I have not even used it outside. All my contacts have been with the loop indoors.
I do almost exclusively digital modes. PSK31 PSK63 and JT65A. I have had several DX contacts to Europe and Africa. Worked many stateside stations. They say all antennas are a compromise but this one works great.

And another note... the service is unreal. Steve in support has responded to several questions I had in very quick fashion. All in all a great experience.

frank
N1GDO

KC8J Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2015 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Perfect For HOA & Portable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked up the Alpha Loop, Sr. about 6 months or so ago, and I couldn't be happier with this antenna! I live in stucco hell with a HOA as well, and this antenna has made it possible for me to operate from anywhere in my house! To see this antenna, as well as the Alpha Vertical, Alpha Moto and Alpha EzMilitary check out this video https://youtu.be/fCPEP2HsShY

LZ2ZIN Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2015 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very good antenna. I easily hear whole Europe on 40 meters using digital modes - JT65, JT9, PSK, etc. I don't even need to take it outside! A truly remarkable design.

It's also very portable - you put it in its bag (which is pretty small) and go to any DX expedition :)

KE0EWY Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2015 17:46 Send this review to a friend
GET ONE!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first used my Alpha Loop during the T-Rex 2015 exercise (www.amrron.com) with a FT-817ND. During the T-Rex exercise all HF bands were crashed due to some solar winds so phone was out; however, digital ruled the day. I was able to make several digital contacts with other digital operators including the contact of the weekend with an AmRRON operator in Idaho--1700 miles with 2.5 watts! I received a week signal from the particular operator and I swung the Alpha Loop towards her direction and I made a 100% copy with the 817 and the Alpha Loop.

Since T-Rex 2015 I have made several QSO's from both field and base (within my home) with both digital and phone. This is a GREAT system and I highly recommend!

N2PKN Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2015 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great antenna ,beats anything else hands down