Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Loop - The 10-40 Meter Magnetic Loop Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Loop - The 10-40 Meter Magnetic Loop Antenna
Alpha Loop - The 10-40 Meter Magnetic Loop Antenna Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $300
Description: The ultra high-performance (High Q) Alpha Loop Antenna is rated for Digital and AM modes at 10 Watts Continuous (15 Watts PEP) and for SSB & CW at 20 Watts continuous (30 Watts PEP). It offers continous coverage for 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 30, & 40 Meters. Prices vary depending upon options (Tripod and/or Bag) plus model (Mobile, MicroTune, Base, Non-MicroTune) that are selected.
More info: http://AmateurRadioStore.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Loop - The 10-40 Meter Magnetic Loop Antenna.

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2013 19:37 Send this review to a friend
It works quite well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered it on the website after reading reviews and comparing to AlexLoop. My first loop antenna, want something to take on the road and use from hotel for QRP. I don't have time to build, and for my money I want a good quality piece of kit.

My goal is mostly digital HF, maybe some CW. I am not new to QRP, but I am not a full-time QRP operator and instead am mostly a QRO DXer. But I want something more than just PC remote into my home shack when on the road. I figured it would be fun to see what 5 watts and a loop antenna could do from a hotel room.

I ordered it instead AlexLoop because it came with a tripod already (both seem to be excellent loop antennas, so it was a bit of a coin toss between Alpha and Alex designs).

Package arrived US Postal Service 3 days after ordering it online. I unpacked it. First thing the XYL (not a ham) said was "wow, nice carry bag it comes with." I said "yep." Next thing she said was "wow, what a professional looking set of equipment including the tripod." Again I said "yep." When I put it together, she said "THAT is IT? Where are all the wires? The spreaders? The elements?" (I have multiple wire dipoles, a hex beam and yagis for 6 and 2). I started explaining about magnetic loop antennas. And then she said "Sorry I asked. Go have fun with it, I am off to see our horse at the barn." (Her hobby).

When she returned, she asked me "Did you talk to anyone with it?" "Yes I did," was my reply. Bahamas and Arkansas on 40 CW. Also heard some JT65 DX (SA, EU) on 40. Of course, tons of DX heard on higher bands.

Some observations:

1. The tripod arrived broken at the base. I called Steve, the owner, and left a message. It was 7:30 PM local. 5 minutes later he calls me back and says he will ship another one the next morning. BAM! A 5 on customer service.

2. I mentioned that the manual was a bit "brief" with no assembly pics, but I understood the construction from looking at the website and watching the YouTube videos. Steve said that another rev would be coming out soon.

3. Assembly was easy, 10 minutes from first unpack to on the air. All quality materials, with extra hardware in case I lose some. A 5 on construction and foresight.

4. Tuning is done by adjusting the knob for max background noise. Simple. A 5 on ease of use.

5. Performance - it is not an outside wire. Users need to be realistic with expectations (use digital modes, only call CW stations that are strong, don't expect much on SSB). I found the loop to be about 5-10dB down from my off-center-fed 135 foot dipole at 64 feet. The surprising thing was that I could make contacts on 40 meters at all. Quite pleasant to discover that I could, since 40 is my favorite QRP band. A 5 on performance against expectations.

Interesting note on bandwidth - the high Q requires adjustment for resonace every few kHz (as it should be with this antenna). But I noticed that the bandwidth on 40 was about 30 kHz between 2:1 SWR points, and much sharper on 15 meters (7-10 kHz). It also took more time to find SWR null on 15 meters as it was very sensitive.

After the New Year, I expect to be doing a lot of travelling, and will provide a subsequent review on the antenna then.

W3WEB Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2013 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the first antenna that I've had success with because I live in 2nd floor apartment with limited space, surrounded by power lines, and no access to ground. Tried other antennas and could never transmit anything on HF bands.

Enter the AlphaLoop - Very easy to assemble, and when I placed on the balcony and did a quick adjustment to the alphamatch, the band came alive. A few minutes later made my first contacts from Phoenix to LA, Seattle, and Colorado. Made several more on 20 and 40 meters. At QRP levels. Wow!

Like others have said here, AlphaLoop is very durable and you can tell it's made from quality components. Bravo to Alpha Antenna for making such a fine product. I'm so excited to be on the air now!

WN0ARD Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2013 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Ham friendly company & superior antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just works incredibly well right out of the bag. Love the price and the tripod is a bonus! I called Steve/N0TES who answered all of my questions with a friendly smile that I could hear through the phone. I then ordered it online after talking to him at the beginning of last week and it arrived in time for me to use it this weekend. This is the way ham radio was supposed to be. A hand built antenna from one ham to another, which works better than anything I have ever used.

KC9SXB Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2013 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Great performance, price, and nice people  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For $300 the Alpha Loop came with a Self Supportive Magnetic Loop Antenna (MLA) made from Aluminum sections that are easily assembled with a few screws. Also included in the price was a padded field bag with shoulder strap. Plus the it came with a 6 1/2 foot Aluminum tripod, all of which fit nicely in the bag that has a padded front pocket large enough for either my Elecraft KX3 or 817-ND.

The antenna allows me to work everything I can hear when sitting outside on my porch, which is a first for me on SSB using 10 watts. It is also very quiet, which is a huge plus because I primarily use it inside while placed in-front of a window.

By design, the Alpha Loop physically off-sets the feedline away from both the inner and outer loops with a seperate black box at the top with a silver plated SO239. This seems to be a unique feature not found in other MLAs.

Tuning the Alpha Loop was fairly easy, just a twist of the knob till the highest background noise is heard gets you close and an antenna tuner can take care of the rest. For perfect tuning, I'd recommend an antenna analyzer or a good cross-needle SWR meter.