Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha Loop 10-40 Meter small magnetic antenna systems Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Loop 10-40 Meter small magnetic antenna systems
Alpha Loop 10-40 Meter small magnetic antenna systems Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $300
Description: The 10-40 Meter Alpha Loop Antenna systems are perfect for Condo, SOTA, Beach, RADAR, base, or any place you need a High-Q directional HF antenna. The aluminum element based Alpha Loop Sr provides higher power rating and comes with a 6 1/2 foot tripod. The coaxial based element Jr version brings you a lower power rating in a smaller package, which deploys quicker. The Alpha Loop Jr assembles and dissembles from the included field bag in 60 seconds. As each of these antennas are a loop, there are no taps on coils and no counterpoise wires needed. Both have a built in tuner to cover 7 to 30 MHz, which provides continuos coverage from 40 Meters through 10 Meters. Additionally, high noise rejection is one of the favorite features of many operators in RFI prone environments. Prices will vary from $199-$349, depending upon options or models are selected.
More info: http://AmateurRadioStore.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha Loop 10-40 Meter small magnetic antenna systems.

KA6UTD Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2014 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Upgraded to 10-40M Alpha Loop with SWR Indicator & Micro Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got to update you on my upgrade to the latest version of the Alpha Loop. Simple micro tuning with 6:1 reduction drive allows me to easily 1) Tune to loudest noise floor & 2) Transmit with a few watts and tune till the Built-In SWR Indicator is brightest. Sets up in 5 minutes and is so small I usually just leave it assembled. Easily handles 30 watts PEP SSB (far above QRP) and it even tunes to a SWR less than 1.2:1 on 10 through 40 Meters (with its' internal tuner). DX is no problem at all and I frankly couldn't be happier with this 100% American Made product, including their raw materials!

KB9HHI Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2014 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Easy to Tune, Rugged Construction, & 30 Watts!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The new MicroTune loop is incredibly easy to tune. I also have an AlexLoop and the non-MicroTune version of the Alpha Loop. The coax that the AlexLoop is made out of does not form a perfect circle and if you use thick/heavy coax, the Alpha Loop pulls down about an inch or two. The non-MicroTune Alpha Loop and Alex Loop is more difficult to tune than the MicroTune version, which is easy to tune below 2:1 on my RigExpert AA-54 analyzer. I also notice the Non-Micro tune seems to have as much hand capacitance as my Alex Loop. I'd definitely consider the MicroTune to be far superior than these other two loops. The Alpha Loop is rated for 10 watts Digital, which I don't think other people have realized. I also saw that Alpha Antenna changed their rating system to show how many watts SSB PEP it'd handle, which is 30 watts! An investment in this antenna has been well worth it, because if I can hear them...I can work them...every time!

KJ6MC Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2014 23:32 Send this review to a friend
Not cheap...but worth it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Alpha Loop combines ease of use, solid construction and the magic of RF.

With 5 watts on 40m, I worked much of the western U.S. this evening. Not exactly DX, but for a casual evening of operating in the backyard, I was floored by the performance of this mighty marvel.

Operators on the other side of the QSO donít believe it when I am telling them that I am using QRP power with an antenna six feet off the ground.

Nice work!

As noted, tuning is not drop-dead simple, and there is the effect of hand capacitance when in close proximity to the loop on higher frequencies.

The laws of physics here have not been suspended, just twisted a little to work in our favor!

This antenna is not cheap, but it is worth every penny!

N4MBN Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2014 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As soon as you see this antenna you know you have a good thing. It is built by hand and actually looks like a work of art! The quality is excellent. It also does what it is designed to do. I can work DX with my FT-817 running 5 watts or less.

Best antenna on the market today.

VE3KCY Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2014 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP Antenna   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a bit of time yesterday afternoon to play with my FT817 & Alpha loop antenna that I brought home from Dayton. Made a 1,600 km contact on 20 mters SSB. Power out at 2.5 watts. Loop on tripod at 6 feet. I was impressed !! Station did have a beam pointing in my direction, the op at other end didn't believe me when I told him what I was running.
Definitely give it a 5 & recommend this loop to any QRP op

WD0BC Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 20:04 Send this review to a friend
GREAT UPGRADED UNIT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
NEW MICRO-TUNE LOOP REVIEW.....BRAND NEW PRODUCT!

THIS IS A NEW PRODUCT JUST STARTED SHIPPING APRIL 1, 2014.

This NEW MICRO-TUNE is ALPHAS standard loop UPGRADED!

Received one of the first from the factory.

Alpha Micro-Tuned Loop comes complete with a 6' metal tri-pod of good quality.

Unit comes well packaged in its own nylon carrying bag. All parts neatly and professionally finished. Even includes some extra bolts and wing-nuts in case you loose some.

Setup takes approximately 15 minutes. Fit together nicely and forms a solid loop.

NOW FOR THE GOOD PART.....THE UNIT TUNES AT A REDUCED RATE. THAT IS...YOU CAN TUNE WITHOUT "MISSING" THE DIP IN THE SWR !

THE MICRO-TUNING OF THIS LOOP BLOWS ALL THE OTHERS AWAY!!!

To TUNE the MICRO-TUNE UNIT you simply move the tuning knob around slowly to find the "sweet spot" using the "SOUND" method or use an analyzer.

Watch the POINTER under the tuning knob move around and point to the underlying scale. When the correct SWR is established make note of the scale readings and the positing of the mark on the tuning knob itself.

These recorded pointer positions give you an EXACT setting for each frequency. You can pre-tune all the frequencies you work and then easily return to them.

Compared to the other guys the ALPHA MICRO-TUNE LOOP BEATS THEM ALL HANDS DOWN !!!!!

The efficacy of these loops is legendary and I believe that the ALPHA MICRO-TUNE LOOP is the best product out there.

I am VERY pleased with the product and the communication from Steve of ALPHA ANTENNAS....looking forward to an EYEBALL and a ham fest very soon.

WD0BC

KD0YSW Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2014 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the antenna only for about a month. It has been used indoors and have managed to complete 2000 mile QSO's from nothern lattitudes (weak reports but you can't expect miracles) so far. Using with a KX3 which it does match very well. No problems thus far. For QRP and limited space, this is an unbelievable antenna. Have miracle whip and other loaded whips that really are only good for receive. This one really gets out the signal though you have to tune fairly frequenty it is easy with the autotuner on the KX3, just use qrm to tune the antenna for strongest noise, tune, and you are set.

W0GI Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2014 19:01 Send this review to a friend
QRP Heaven  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, if you want an antenna that does the job on QRP, this is it.

Magnetic loops are High-Q, so this antenna does require some work tuning for best performance. If you want an antenna, that you tune, then have the whole band available for operating, this isn't for you.

If you want the most efficient antenna possible with a small form factor, and don't mind retuning when you move +/- 5KHZ, then this is a good choice. Make no mistake, you can't tune a magnetic loop on 14.175, and have a good match at 14.200 without retuning.

Sure, you can use an auto-tuner, to make your transmitter happy, but you won't be transmitting the maximum magnetic wave.

If you want to work maximum stations, leave the tuner off, and tune the antenna.

High-Q means narrow bandwidth. It also means maximum efficiency when tuned properly.

This is a great implementation of a portable loop. Everything goes together well, quality hardware, and a great carrying bag. It went together in a few minutes, and I was having a rag chew on 14.200 on my patio a few minutes later with my K2 using 10 watts, from Colorado to Wisconsin. On CW, this thing is going to be incredible, even with 100mw.

I do have an AA-600 analyzer, that makes tuning a snap.

Yes the variable capacitor on the base is touchy, as was mentioned, and a reduction drive would help, but with some practice, a good match is not hard to get, once you get used to the fine touch needed.

Bottom line is, more work = best possible performance. I will be taking this and my KX3 up to high attitude once the temps get warmer, and will be having a blast. :>)

And it will all fit on my Dirt Bike. Come on spring.......

WA7JCL Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2014 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Read my review for a negative and positives  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Positives: I work DX from my Alpha Loop with only 50MW (yes, milliwatts) from my bread board QRP cw-rig, and that's with the antenna inside my shack! The Alpha Loop and the Field Bag it comes in is tough as nails and I am able to set it up on the INCLUDED Tripod in just a few minutes.

The Negatives: The knob is pretty sensitive, so I have to use the noise floor to tune it first, then you can use an SWR analyzer if you feel like it.

Resolution to the Negatives: I fashioned a U-Shaped piece of metal in my vice, which I affixed to the Alpha Match with wood screws, to which I mounted a Jackson Brothers Reduction Drive with a 6:1 Ratio that fit nicely on the shaft that is used to tune the loop antenna. I did this for about $25 in parts. It works great, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I've recommended to Alpha Antenna that they make a similar improvement, which I am betting will raise the price of the antenna.

More Positives: At 10 watts, the loop really does perform as well (while sitting on my deck), as my other antennas that are outside at 25 feet, which are resonant, even when I run them at 100 watts.

KC6NRE Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2014 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Best QRP Antenna Ever Built  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Till now my QRP antennas of choice were dipoles cut to resonant length & the Alex Loop, and for 100 watts the buddipole antenna. Enter the Alpha Loop Jr and DX-Mil. The Loop is a directional Magnetic Loop Antenna and gives similar results with 5 watts, as I have had with 100 watts on my Buddipole. My elmer was correct! "If you can't do it with 5 watts, then you are using the wrong antenna!" Not to mention that with the Loop I can Null Out even an S9 signal by turning it. Plus, I've consistently put 20 watts into the Alpha Loop with no problems. So long to all of those wires that really did take up more space in my go kit than the Alpha Loop Jr. For times when I need/want high power, I now use the Alpha DX-Mil for up to 1KW (the Buddipole is only 250W), but see my seperate eHam review for my comments on the DX-Mil antenna.

The Alpha Loop is VERY compact and it is robustly built with American Made components. Something you can't say about the Alex Loop, not to mention that 40 Meter performance from the Alpha Loop is far better! You can assemble either loop in 2 minutes, but as soon as you take the Alpha Loop out of the commercial to military grade field bag and pick it up you will know that you have held an antenna that will hold together for years and is much more advanced in its' design than the Alex Loop. Then, once you use it, you will never part with it. It's just that much fun because the Alpha Loop delivers immediate results.